Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Buying a moded Z06

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 11:01 PM
OnasisTT
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a moded Z06

Hi everyone

This is taleb from from dubai and im new here.this is my first post/thread
As you can tell from the title,im thinking about getting a corvette but I need a little help from you experienced guys so here is whats going on:
Im a 42 yrs old businessman.a big car enthusiast but unfortunately due to my very busy work and traveling schedule,I don't have time to take care of cars so didn't get any "real cars".now that my elder son is going to college and the working schedule is much more flexible I have more time to spend on family and of course myself so I've been looking for cars.at first I considered buying a 507 edition C63 amg and boy that thing is a blast to drive but I wanted something raw old fashion power, looks and of course the right transmission I looked at the C7 z06 the car is great but I didn't like it for two reasons:
1.the looks are too futuristic for my taste.i like a more classic look
2.im not a big fan of boost and supercharging I like the N/A power more.

So I did more research and when I found out that the LS7 on 14' Z/28 was used on C6 I was blown away.a motor that big with that much power on such a light car....I just need to have it

So I found a really clean one with low mileage but when the owner told me about the mods he made on it I wasn't so sure about it.here are the pics and specs for the car.yeah I know these mods are nothing compared to what some of you guys do to your cars.

2006 c6 Z06
-50k miles
-new engine 15k miles(engine failure because of the heads, valves thing)
-costom heads
-cam
-long tube headers
-cold air intake(I think its called airraid)
-stock exhaust with customized mufflers
-transmission upgraded to tr6060 to handle the extra power.

All the mods were done in US before shipping but tuned here.ge claimed the car gets 580 HP to the rear wheels but I don't think its that much because he said its not moded and tuned aggressively and the cam is small/mild and overall its made for street and daily use(i will daily drive it).
The thing is,all I know about this car I heard from the owner.i never owned a moded car . I've done exhaust and headers before but no engine modification so basically I don't know what these mods mean and I dont know if it will fit my daily driving needs.yes I kbow I should go and drive it,but the car is hours away from where I live.but first I want to know your opinions before I go for it.what do you think guys?is it a good idea?
Anything I should check or look for?

sorry for the boring write up andThanks in advance for your kind answers.im looking forward to be a part of this great community
Old 12-07-2016, 12:00 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Onasis I would look hard at SEVERAL C6 Z06 cars before I decided to buy.
If you only intend to daily drive it, and NOT track it (and the money is not a major issue) then I would look for a low mileage (say 2013) Carbon Edition C6 Z06 with the Z07 option. The Z07 option includes the carbon/ceramic brakes, which are pricey, but ON THE STREET should last FOREVER!
There are people here in the US who have bought them as "collector" cars and you should be able to buy one with VERY low miles...but for (maybe) a premium price. I assume that having bought one, you intend to keep ownership for several years? If so, I would also try to buy an extended warranty, IF you can find one which is honored in Dubai.
The C6 Z06 is an awesome car, and you will enjoy it.
Let us know what you get, and how you like it.
http://nfs.wikia.com/wiki/Chevrolet_...imited_Edition
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...hotos-and-info

As a possible second choice, I would consider a Will Cooksey special edition:
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/14/2...-big-price-sm/

Last edited by 63Corvette; 12-07-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:51 PM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I think you have to be a bit more careful when buying a modded car since you do not know the quality of parts used and how good the people were that installed them compared to the factory. That being said I bought a modded C6 Z06.

A few things that stand out to me that I would ask further about would be:
1. Custom Heads - Which company did the work and what exactly was done? Bill of sale with that information. It has 20,000 miles on the heads. It is time to check them anyway. I would at least do the wiggle test on them. That is quick and easy with minimal tools. (I would do the wiggle test even on an aftermarket headed LS7)
2. Camshaft - What specs, brand and drive ability (no bucking, a little at 1500 rpms, ect.) Drive it at the low rpms and get a good feel for how nice the tune is with that camshaft.
3. Transmission upgraded to 6060 specs - Can it make the 1-2 shift at high rpms when cold (at least let the engine oil temp hit 135 before high rpms and test hot as well). Test low rpm shifts lightly shifting as well both cold and hot.
4. Tune - who did the tune in case you need to contact them. Pre/post tuning results?
5. What clutch if not stock? Does the car "bump" forward when the clutch is in and the car is put into 1st gear? A stock clutch may be hating life at that power level with 50,000 miles on it.

If done properly, a modded C6 Z06 is a great car and should serve you well. If not done properly you might find out why this car is for sale.

Last edited by MickVette; 12-07-2016 at 01:00 PM. Reason: typos
Old 12-07-2016, 03:57 PM
OnasisTT
7th Gear

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Onasis I would look hard at SEVERAL C6 Z06 cars before I decided to buy.
If you only intend to daily drive it, and NOT track it (and the money is not a major issue) then I would look for a low mileage (say 2013) Carbon Edition C6 Z06 with the Z07 option. The Z07 option includes the carbon/ceramic brakes, which are pricey, but ON THE STREET should last FOREVER!
There are people here in the US who have bought them as "collector" cars and you should be able to buy one with VERY low miles...but for (maybe) a premium price. I assume that having bought one, you intend to keep ownership for several years? If so, I would also try to buy an extended warranty, IF you can find one which is honored in Dubai.
The C6 Z06 is an awesome car, and you will enjoy it.
Let us know what you get, and how you like it.
http://nfs.wikia.com/wiki/Chevrolet_...imited_Edition
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...hotos-and-info

As a possible second choice, I would consider a Will Cooksey special edition:
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/14/2...-big-price-sm/
Hi
Thank you for your kind reply. Actually I did look at several Z06s and this one is the cleanest one(even compared with newer models) with the lowest miles(its a collector's car)and the price tag is pretty high compared with other cars I looked at.i did look for some thing a bit more "premium & special" but couldn't find any Z07s for sale.there is only 1 convertible 427 edition and its going for a good price but i didn't like the body lines on the convertible.its just confusing how many models they made for this car
Old 12-07-2016, 04:03 PM
OnasisTT
7th Gear

Originally Posted by MickVette
I think you have to be a bit more careful when buying a modded car since you do not know the quality of parts used and how good the people were that installed them compared to the factory. That being said I bought a modded C6 Z06.

A few things that stand out to me that I would ask further about would be:
1. Custom Heads - Which company did the work and what exactly was done? Bill of sale with that information. It has 20,000 miles on the heads. It is time to check them anyway. I would at least do the wiggle test on them. That is quick and easy with minimal tools. (I would do the wiggle test even on an aftermarket headed LS7)
2. Camshaft - What specs, brand and drive ability (no bucking, a little at 1500 rpms, ect.) Drive it at the low rpms and get a good feel for how nice the tune is with that camshaft.
3. Transmission upgraded to 6060 specs - Can it make the 1-2 shift at high rpms when cold (at least let the engine oil temp hit 135 before high rpms and test hot as well). Test low rpm shifts lightly shifting as well both cold and hot.
4. Tune - who did the tune in case you need to contact them. Pre/post tuning results?
5. What clutch if not stock? Does the car "bump" forward when the clutch is in and the car is put into 1st gear? A stock clutch may be hating life at that power level with 50,000 miles on it.

If done properly, a modded C6 Z06 is a great car and should serve you well. If not done properly you might find out why this car is for sale.
WoW those are some really good questions and observations I never thought of.
And about the heads.i meant aftermarket,not custom made heads . I'll talk to the guy today and make sure I ask him all the questions you mentioned and I will get back for your opinions and thoughts
Old 12-07-2016, 10:40 PM
Medicdiver
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I bought a modded z06 as well. As long as it was done right no big deal. I would find out who did the cylinder heads. Just curious, what does a car like that sell for in Dubai?
Old 12-08-2016, 12:01 AM
OnasisTT
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Medicdiver
I bought a modded z06 as well. As long as it was done right no big deal. I would find out who did the cylinder heads. Just curious, what does a car like that sell for in Dubai?
Well thats great to hear.the guy is a car collector and owns a ZR1 too.he spends a lot of money on his cars(he doesn't have any other choice because all the parts that get to us here in UAE are the pricey high quality ones so im sure its properly modified).as for your question,based on the year model(2006-2008) the price range is about 26-33k(dollars).this one is a 2006 with a new engine and a tr6060 trany and he's asking for 28k.i don't know about you guys but here when you sell the car,you're just selling the car regardless of all the money/hardwork you've got in it.

Last edited by OnasisTT; 12-08-2016 at 03:08 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a moded Z06

Quick Reply: [Z06] Buying a moded Z06