Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Oil pan bolt access without dropping for pump removal. Step in

Old 12-07-2016, 02:22 AM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts
Default Oil pan bolt access without dropping for pump removal. Step in

I have tried a few swivels for the 2 (******) that don't like to come loose with a standard swivel. What are you guys using to get these guys loose? Maybe saving myself some trouble here. I can put a wrench in them but they are too tight with nothing to pry on for removing

As always with me, opinions and **** posting is allowed here.

*** Removing the oil pump with out the pull out and pray method. This gasket is worth protecting in my book. I'm too old for risking it. Maybe in with a piece of shim stock but not out. My luck is always the worst. Plan or be screwed for me.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:43 AM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I've got some short 1/4" drive swivel sockets and a 14" extension that works well for stuff like that. Another option is a very short handled ratchet that fits nicely then break it loose with another tool like a long handled hammer(to push the ratchet)
Old 12-07-2016, 03:41 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

You may think you're attempting to do it the right way but this method caused my pan to leak afterwards. All good now that I replaced the gasket, but I wondered how things would have ended up if I worked more on getting the pump off without lowering the pan. Just some word of caution. Also, I'm not sure which two bolts you're referring to. I was about to loosen them all.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:46 AM
Michael_D
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 270 Posts

I recall a couple of the bolts a PITA to get to, but patience and an assortment of extensions and swivels and reducers prevailed. Be very careful with torque values when you go back together. A couple of the rear bolts have lower values. I broke one of the f'ers. Took some head scratching to figure out how to get the remnant removed without dropping the spring and pan.

I'd also suggest sucking it up and getting all the bolts backed out, drop the pan a touch, then remove/install the pump. A glob of RTV at the forward corners. Mine doesn't leak.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:37 AM
rio95
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
I recall a couple of the bolts a PITA to get to, but patience and an assortment of extensions and swivels and reducers prevailed. Be very careful with torque values when you go back together. A couple of the rear bolts have lower values. I broke one of the f'ers. Took some head scratching to figure out how to get the remnant removed without dropping the spring and pan.

I'd also suggest sucking it up and getting all the bolts backed out, drop the pan a touch, then remove/install the pump. A glob of RTV at the forward corners. Mine doesn't leak.
I did not apply any new rtv so that could have been part of my problem. Oh well all new now.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:23 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

. A glob of RTV at the forward corners. Mine doesn't leak.

Same here.

I applied small dab before cover gasket and after gasket install just for peace of mind.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:24 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

I'd also suggest sucking it up and getting all the bolts backed out, drop the pan a touch, then remove/install the pump..

Sage advise.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:34 AM
NemeZ
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

For me the hardest bolts were near the front, on the sides. I had to use a small 1/4 rachet and got to the bolts through the side. I just used regular sockets no swivel needed. Once I loosened all of them I pryed the pan down from the front. Getting the pump back on was a pain as well.

Last edited by NemeZ; 12-07-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:05 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 734 Likes on 544 Posts

No tips for loosening the bolts, but I used a piece of microfiche film as protection for the gasket going back together. The pump slid on like butter... also found it helpful to use an extra oil pump drive poked into the pump backwards to align the pump segments and the crank gear. Slides out the F as the pump slides on...
If you can still find some microfiche film, it's one of the handiest things on earth, and unbelievably tough! I mostly use it for protecting interior panels when I need to pry trim off, but useful anywhere you need something strong and thin. I even used a piece with my tire changer to protect the rims. It probably lasted through a hundred tires before it gave up.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:15 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 393 Posts

I got mine off and on without any damage.

When I put it back on I used some vaseline to lube everything on the bottom side up really well and just wiggled it a mm at a time until it was seated.

Everybody I talked to said either completely drop the pan and put a new gasket on, or do the wiggle method. They said dont just drop the front of the pan or dont just loosen and re-torque as its almost guaranteed to leak.

That was the most nerve wracking part of my build for me and wondering "am I going to have oil pressure".
Old 12-07-2016, 02:32 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Good info here. Thanks guys.

So are you guys saying that a leak is caused by improper application of RTV in the front cover lower corners or what? I have heard many talk of great success dropping the pan a bit in front.

I have some shim stock .003" for going back in but its the pulling it off part that worries me. If the gasket is damaged can you drop the pan without dropping the cradle?
Old 12-07-2016, 03:00 PM
NemeZ
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

I only loosened the pan and have no leaks at all. I did in fact apply rtv on the corners of the pan where the timing cover meets the pan.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:16 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by User Omega
What are you guys using to get these guys loose? .

Used a 11m added as a cheater on the 10m wrench, breaks right off.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:08 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

I didnt use RTV, I used the anaerobic gasket maker on the front cover where it meets the pan. Not sure what the difference really is at the end of the day. Anaerobic gasket maker was quite a bit thinner than RTV, almost the consistency of red loc-tite.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:19 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

I use Anaerobic when I want a very thin gasket between aluminum parts, like two cycle engines. It sets up quickly in the absence of air. I prefer the RTV when I want some crush and growth/expansion.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:58 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

I use Anaerobic when I want a very thin gasket between aluminum parts, like two cycle engines. It sets up quickly in the absence of air. I prefer the RTV when I want some crush and growth/expansion.
Same stuff I use to assemble motorcycle engine case halves.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 12-07-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:17 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

I used the anaerobic because thats what the factory service manual called for, not that I didnt think RTV wouldnt work, but its basically aluminum front cover on aluminum oil pan so no real room to squish, so to speak, on the tight tolerances.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:22 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 734 Likes on 544 Posts

Ahhh. The science and superstition of gasket sealers!
Everybody has their favorites... Loctite and others make a Porsche spec orange anaerobic sealer for alum/alum gasketless apps... works great. I kinda like the Loctite anaerobic that looks like strawberry jelly to seal metal gaskets, but any where there are 2 planes involved (think oil pan and F or R cover) it's silicone RTV in the corners. 'the right stuff' works great.
Paper gaskets that need to be held in position during assembly? 'Gaskacinch'. Awesome stuff, but just the drawing on the can would make it worth buying!
Old 12-07-2016, 07:30 PM
Michael_D
Safety Car

In my ornery juvenile prankster days, I would use Permatex black on phones and ear muffs. Worked great!

Get notified of new replies

To Oil pan bolt access without dropping for pump removal. Step in

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Oil pan bolt access without dropping for pump removal. Step in