Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Tires Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 03:29 PM
weykool
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tires Anyone?

I am having an issue with tire spin in first and second gear when attempting to launch. I am running Michelins (they came on the car) on ZR1 rims (19 front & 20 rears) I am getting ready to purchase tires in the future and I am looking for recommendations for a good "sticky" tire that I can use as a daily driver and something I can leave on for the occasional trip to the track. Can anyone provide me with a good recommendation? I know different people like different things, just looking for suggestions from experience.
Thanks.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:02 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

How much power does the car make? Stockish?
Old 12-07-2016, 04:46 PM
weykool
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am at 600hp. Nothing to radical.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:50 PM
Z06Qazi
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I spin my Michelin PSS on the stock 19" wheels in 2nd gear from a 60 roll... from a Dig i cant even go 1/2 throttle .(600whp H/C) From all the research ive done looks like the best tires from straight line would go to the Mickey thompson ET streets which are made in the 20" size you desire . Another great tire to consider is the Toyo R888. .
Old 12-07-2016, 04:53 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Sounds like you want straight line hookup, not road course cornering, confirm. Stock LS7 or built (power level). What ambient temps are you spinning the tires?

How old are the Michelins (DOT 4-number code on side wall, 1st two digits are week of the year, last 2 digits are year of manufacture, ex, 0613 would be the 6th week of 2013), what model tire and ZP or not?

Because you are running 19/20" rims your choices will be limited.

If you define your priorities and tire use, we can give you better answers.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:05 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Michelin Cup 2s would be a waste of money if you're considering them. They are the only tire in that size that I've tried, except for some 10 year old Pirellis.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:27 PM
BCBZ06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the same problem. I'm running the ZR1 wheels on my Z as well so the choices are limited. I'm considering the Nitto Invos as they make them to fit the ZR1 wheels. This is my second Z and i replaced the Michelins on my last one also. When i read about tires, everyone puts the Michelins on top but i think they struggle to grip the road. Anyone have any input on the Nittos? I believe the rear size they have is a 345 in the rear but i've read on the forum that they fit the ZR1 wheels fine.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:21 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Next to any of the Michelins, the Invos have no grip. They are inexpensive, good ride, quiet and get good tread wear. In the scheme of things they are not a performance tire.

Originally Posted by BCBZ06
I'm having the same problem. I'm running the ZR1 wheels on my Z as well so the choices are limited. I'm considering the Nitto Invos as they make them to fit the ZR1 wheels. This is my second Z and i replaced the Michelins on my last one also. When i read about tires, everyone puts the Michelins on top but i think they struggle to grip the road. Anyone have any input on the Nittos? I believe the rear size they have is a 345 in the rear but i've read on the forum that they fit the ZR1 wheels fine.
The following users liked this post:
jp_tt_awd (12-13-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 09:30 PM
yellowzron
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 333 Likes on 195 Posts

Mickey Thompson drag radial for any real grip.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:02 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,095 Likes on 578 Posts

Nothing short of a drag radial is going to hold in 1st or 2nd.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:28 AM
meinersk
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Mt et streets and be careful in the rain.....down the road get 18in rims at all 4 corners and get some meat on the sidewalls....u fix recall for steering active handling problem? Cause when u add drags active handling will activate alot in the rain....
Old 12-11-2016, 10:36 AM
ranch41
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it may be a question of throttle control rather than tire preference ��
Old 12-11-2016, 05:31 PM
Davidryan1987
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by meinersk
Mt et streets and be careful in the rain.....down the road get 18in rims at all 4 corners and get some meat on the sidewalls....u fix recall for steering active handling problem? Cause when u add drags active handling will activate alot in the rain....
when did this recall come out? Curious if my 2016 c7 z06 has had this recall. What does it fix?
Old 12-11-2016, 10:01 PM
meinersk
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Davidryan1987
when did this recall come out? Curious if my 2016 c7 z06 has had this recall. What does it fix?
We are in c6z06 forum so this is for c6.....and it almost wrecked me and car
Old 12-12-2016, 12:15 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by meinersk
We are in c6z06 forum so this is for c6.....and it almost wrecked me and car
I've got an 09 Z06 and the only recall has been on the headlight wiring. What other recall are you referring to? Please provide the number or other documentation.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:04 AM
BCBZ06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Next to any of the Michelins, the Invos have no grip. They are inexpensive, good ride, quiet and get good tread wear. In the scheme of things they are not a performance tire.
Is there a big difference between the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 ZP and the Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP which I am running now? It looks like the Cup 2's are more like a drag radial and may grip better. I'm also going to check the date you mentioned above. I bought the wheels and the Michelins came on them so I have no history on the tires themselves as far as how old they are. Tread is good but is there a date that would be concerning like they sat for years?

Since all the Michelins are run flats, does that play into this quite a bit? Seems like the non run flats would have a softer side wall and flex a little more.

I looked and they do make the MT drag radials in the larger 20" size so maybe those would do better.

This is not a daily driver for me and the only time I'd drive it in the rain would be if I got caught in it. I have other wheels that I'd be using on the track so I'm not looking for multi purpose. I just really like the look of the ZR1 wheels on the car and want it to grip better. I don't care about costs or how long they'll last. I just want to apply power to the road better than it is doing now.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:52 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

The M PSC2 ZP is a much grippier tire than the PSS ZP as it is really a track tire that is legal to run on the street. In "normal driving the PSC2's would last 5-8K miles and the PSS would last ~30K miles. The PSC2's will go round corners much better than drag radials. If you are just interested in street straight line, then drag radials may be your better choice, recognizing the handling on the street will be less than stock.

Not all Michelins are ZP, but in the 285/3019 and 335/25-20 they are. The non-ZP;s do have a softer sidewall, but the 20" rears don't have much sidewall anyway. That will be a tradeoff to the "looks" you like from the ZR1 wheels.

If the tires are more than 3 years old, they have lost some of their grip. Tire manufacturers "recommend" replacing after six years, but they get income from that recommendation so ... I do several performance events where they require the tires to be less than 5 years old, but those are high speed (150+) events.

Originally Posted by BCBZ06
Is there a big difference between the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 ZP and the Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP which I am running now? It looks like the Cup 2's are more like a drag radial and may grip better. I'm also going to check the date you mentioned above. I bought the wheels and the Michelins came on them so I have no history on the tires themselves as far as how old they are. Tread is good but is there a date that would be concerning like they sat for years?

Since all the Michelins are run flats, does that play into this quite a bit? Seems like the non run flats would have a softer side wall and flex a little more.

I looked and they do make the MT drag radials in the larger 20" size so maybe those would do better.

This is not a daily driver for me and the only time I'd drive it in the rain would be if I got caught in it. I have other wheels that I'd be using on the track so I'm not looking for multi purpose. I just really like the look of the ZR1 wheels on the car and want it to grip better. I don't care about costs or how long they'll last. I just want to apply power to the road better than it is doing now.

Get notified of new replies

To Tires Anyone?

Old 12-13-2016, 07:43 AM
ExoticMotorClub
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

in for suggestions, as this is my problem as well.

For 800 rwhp, go M/T in the rear and PSC2 in the front? Or buy rims and run 18s PSC2 all around? Looking to be able to hook on the road, but still hit the road race track on the occasional weekend if I want.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:04 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

PSC2's won't hold 800HP and MT's won't corner. Need to choose which way to go or separate wheels for street/track.

I have PSS set for street driving, R888's for road cours, MT/s for straight line and a spare mounted front PSS.

Originally Posted by ExoticMotorClub
in for suggestions, as this is my problem as well.

For 800 rwhp, go M/T in the rear and PSC2 in the front? Or buy rims and run 18s PSC2 all around? Looking to be able to hook on the road, but still hit the road race track on the occasional weekend if I want.
The following users liked this post:
ExoticMotorClub (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 09:13 AM
ExoticMotorClub
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
PSC2's won't hold 800HP and MT's won't corner. Need to choose which way to go or separate wheels for street/track.

I have PSS set for street driving, R888's for road cours, MT/s for straight line and a spare mounted front PSS.
What is your wheel setup for the r888s? Did you go 18s? I dont mind having more than one set, I just am not sure the best options.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Tires Anyone?