Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Valve guide issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 07:44 PM
ATOMIC ORANG
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Valve guide issue

Hey Guys and Gals this has been bothering me for awhile now, i just want to put this question out there and hopefully get some positive feed back. I would like to know how many of you from the North have had a valve guide issue with any Z06 From 2006 - 2013 I mean like the motor went cracked head, motor shot, or just that loud ticking before it blows up ? I don't want to know anything about the ones that just went and had it done just to be safe, I bet that the percentage in the north is a lot less common then in the west and south areas. I have talked to numerous corvette shops in the area and have found not that many have seen it or have had to do the job. Thanks
Old 12-09-2016, 08:16 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Forget everything you think you know, the dealers have led you astray.

ALL the LS7 heads came from the same exact place so where you are means nothing.

The problem is real get the guides checked, there is no safe place here.

There is no loud ticking before it blows up.

They tear up the whole motor when they go, and they can go at any miles and at any time.
The following users liked this post:
95rtturbo (12-12-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 08:24 PM
ls2alex
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a (forum) made up issue, ignore the hundreds of posts and threads, beat on my friend
Old 12-09-2016, 09:38 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ls2alex
This is a (forum) made up issue, ignore the hundreds of posts and threads, beat on my friend

I hope your being facetious

If not should he ignore the 4 blown motors since I joined a few months ago??

My engine had 44k when checked and 2 exhaust valves on each head were out of spec. I chose to not foolishly burry my head in the sand.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:07 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by outhouse

My engine had 44k when checked and 2 exhaust valves on each head were out of spec. I chose to not foolishly burry my head in the sand.
Good that you had it done, but that was a great result. At 46K miles I had all 8 exhaust and 6 of 8 intakes beyound the GM service spec.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:13 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AzDave47
I had all 8 exhaust and 6 of 8 intakes beyound the GM service spec.

Been following your knowledge that later years often have more intake out then exhaust found on previous years.

Love my car knowing its good to go, that and the added HP was a kick in the pants.

I was driving it home the other night on the freeway with cruise on doing 70 at 1500 rpm and the car was sop tight and smooth as butter. Love it. Once I get DRM's ill head into the canyon for a few runs and match the bike runs I pull on the Ducati.

Last edited by outhouse; 12-09-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:23 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Been following your knowledge that later years often have more intake out then exhaust found on previous years.

Love my car knowing its good to go, that and the added HP was a kick in the pants.

I was driving it home the other night on the freeway with cruise on doing 70 at 1500 rpm and the car was sop tight and smooth as butter. Love it. Once I get DRM's ill head into the canyon for a few runs and match the bike runs I pull on the Ducati.
Hey wild child, be careful out there!
The following users liked this post:
outhouse (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 11:17 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

They are a joy when you have a chance to enjoy their performance.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:45 PM
ls2alex
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ls2alex
I hope your being facetious

If not should he ignore the 4 blown motors since I joined a few months ago??

Just so many threads on this subject, I changed my heads out for AHP package 4 with moldstar90s relax

Last edited by ls2alex; 12-10-2016 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:46 PM
KM177122
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

I had a couple valves out of tolerance at very early mileage(11K) so I had my issue fixed. Kind in mind that these motors make a lot of valvetrain noise regardless.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:02 PM
ATOMIC ORANG
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Still no one has answered my question ??? Talking about beating a dead horse, this is simpel if you live in the north !!! Ma me nh ri ct i want to hear how many motors have valve guide issues, thank you north only !!!!
Old 12-11-2016, 04:08 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ATOMIC ORANG
Still no one has answered my question ??? Talking about beating a dead horse, this is simpel if you live in the north !!! Ma me nh ri ct i want to hear how many motors have valve guide issues, thank you north only !!!!
I moved my Z06 from NH to AZ, and my guides were still out of spec.

unsubscribed.

Last edited by AzDave47; 12-11-2016 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 04:48 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Hey Guys and Gals this has been bothering me for awhile now, i just want to put this question out there and hopefully get some positive feed back. I would like to know how many of you from the North have had a valve guide issue with any Z06 From 2006 - 2013 I mean like the motor went cracked head, motor shot, or just that loud ticking before it blows up ? I don't want to know anything about the ones that just went and had it done just to be safe, I bet that the percentage in the north is a lot less common then in the west and south areas. I have talked to numerous corvette shops in the area and have found not that many have seen it or have had to do the job. Thanks
100% of the ls7 heads were finished by one machine company. All of them. Every one of them. They ALL have the same guides, using the same materiel, installed with the same concentricity issue. Any thought that the heads up north are different than the heads in Texas is a mistaken thought.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:01 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

My .02. These engines are high performance. Most higher performance engines need to checked for tolerances every so many hours or miles. The heads I removed had 30K miles on them since they had been reconned (fixed) by the previous owner. The guides were beginning to get loose so I purchased new heads. If I knew as much now at that time I may have just had the heads reconned again with new guides and seals.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:06 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

We have better heads up here in the north, or so I'm told.

If the OP chooses to believe that GM hand selected only the good heads to go to the Northern dealers, then let him live in his fantasy.

Information bias: The tendency to seek information even when it cannot affect action.
Confirmation bias: The tendency to search for, interpret, focus on and remember information in a way that confirms one's preconceptions.
Ostrich effect: Ignoring an obvious (negative) situation.

My car was originally a southern car. Had the heads fixed by South Georgia Corvettes and then I bought it and it was shipped up north. See, I can already see a pattern....Northern heads are clearly superior. They won't even ship those out of spec heads up to these parts!!!
Old 12-11-2016, 05:23 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
100% of the ls7 heads were finished by one machine company. All of them. Every one of them. They ALL have the same guides, using the same materiel, installed with the same concentricity issue. Any thought that the heads up north are different than the heads in Texas is a mistaken thought.
Hey now, be careful there! The OP isn't looking for actual facts, solid reasoning, or the "simple" truth here. He's trying to ask the question in a way that gives him the answer he's hoping for.

OP, you may be onto something. I'm thinking maybe it's the different climates that would create variations in guide wear. But there are a lot of micro-climates in our country, so you may need to only ask people who live in your exact county. Then, of course, you'd need to run down the entire history of the car. I mean, it could be like Dave's and have resided in two completely different parts of the country. This could cause the car to suffer from a split personality, among many other maladies. Eventually, if you ask this question with just the right combination of qualifiers, you may get an answer that makes you happy.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:24 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Let me give you a "simpel" response, get your head out of the sand. NE cars are not exempt!

If anything the valves are more brittle and fragile from the extreme cold temps.

Get notified of new replies

To Valve guide issue

Old 12-11-2016, 07:29 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

WTF does geography have to do with it?
Old 12-11-2016, 07:38 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Maybe its a Clinton thing .........

DH
Old 12-11-2016, 07:38 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

At this point, people will either put their heads in the ground and ignore it, or they will do something about it. If they believe its a hoax, then don't do anything. No money out of my pocket or skin off my back.

Sooner or later you get tired of helping others that don't want help. Let them either enjoy their cars, or blow up. It isn't your money.
The following 2 users liked this post by Unreal:
95rtturbo (12-12-2016), FSTFRC (12-12-2016)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Valve guide issue