Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Catch can question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 10:37 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Catch can question

Put about 4000 miles on with a long road trip. Had the oil changed after I got back. Checked the catch can a few days later as I know and have now verified that the service shop didn't drain the catch can. No oil in it what so ever, not a drop. I know the drain on the bottom was tight and all the hoses are also. I usually get 2-3 OZ's of oil out of it depending on how far I go between changes.
Anybody have any ideas what's up??
Old 12-27-2016, 11:36 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by meanjoe
Put about 4000 miles on with a long road trip. Had the oil changed after I got back. Checked the catch can a few days later as I know and have now verified that the service shop didn't drain the catch can. No oil in it what so ever, not a drop. I know the drain on the bottom was tight and all the hoses are also. I usually get 2-3 OZ's of oil out of it depending on how far I go between changes.
Anybody have any ideas what's up??
Mostly highway cruising versus spirited driving? I know the harder you drive, typically the more oil you'll find in the catch can from what I read. That's all I can think of...
Old 12-28-2016, 12:52 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

I've never had my catch can completely empty. Reasonable highway driving for 2K miles and maybe a 1/2 oz. of oil in it, though. If it has nothing like you just wiped it out with a cloth, I'd suggest you disconnect the two hoses and blow into them to verify that neither is somehow blocked. It is possible that some foreign matter blocked the orifice from the crankcase, but not likely. If that doesn't work, go out and do some 4-7K full throttle pulls and then check it again. I'll get 4 oz. in a track day and almost none in highway driving..
Old 12-28-2016, 06:37 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the suggestions you guys. I wonder if a leak in the PVC system would cause this? As in the crankcase pressure is open to the outside.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:43 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the suggestions you guys. I wonder if a leak in the PVC system would cause this? As in the crankcase pressure is open to the outside.
Possible, but unlikely unless you are seeing oil spots under the car. To eliminate all crankcase pressure it would have to be a big leak. It is PVC (positive crankcase ventillation) not PVC (polyvinyl chloride).
Old 12-28-2016, 07:21 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Possible, but unlikely unless you are seeing oil spots under the car. To eliminate all crankcase pressure it would have to be a big leak. It is PVC (positive crankcase ventillation) not PVC (polyvinyl chloride).
Well you knew what I meant.
But it could stand for Positively vented crankcase.
But you got it wrong too.
Quote.. "It is PVC (positive crankcase ventillation) not PVC (polyvinyl chloride).""

Last edited by meanjoe; 12-28-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:52 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Well you knew what I meant.
But it could stand for Positively vented crankcase.
But you got it wrong too.
Quote.. "It is PVC (positive crankcase ventillation) not PVC (polyvinyl chloride).""
Duh
Old 01-15-2017, 06:10 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I checked it again today after about 500 miles after the oil change. Still not a drop. I replaced both hoses that go on it and I'll see if that makes a difference. They didn't seem like they were real tight. I could see this if I drove like an old man all the time but that's just not the case and it would always get some in it before this. I'm starting to think it was the hoses.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:12 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I've found the oil collects in volume if you are running 4 to 7K rpm and close throttle like road course , pressure/vacuum/pressure/vacuum.

On my recent 1/2 mile runs (8 passes) plus 300 miles of street driving, so 165 at 7K RPM coast down to 30 and I only got 1/2 oz. of oil in the EE catch can. On my HPDE days I'll get 3-4 oz. each day.

Get notified of new replies

To Catch can question

Quick Reply: [Z06] Catch can question