Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Service Traction System - Service Handling System

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 12:52 PM
Droobui
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Service Traction System - Service Handling System

Hi everybody,

I am the new owner of a Corvette C6 Z06.
It's a 2012 car with 8'000 miles.

The engine has been changed under warranty by an official garage here in Switzerland end of 2015 about a year ago, and the car had ~ 5'000 miles at the time. The engine did not blow up but made a strange noise, and after check, they changed it under warranty that's all I know.

All this to say, I had the service done 1 month ago and everything checked out perfeclty, no issues etc...

But a few days ago I had the following warning hapening on my car. + the check engine light..

Service traction system
Service handling system

It's pretty funny because watching a C-Net review, I saw that they had the same error message on their video... I called my garage which told me they dont know but shouldn t be anything serious since they just serviced the whole car with no issues.

So I am asking you guys because the search function is not working for me at the moment on the forum, I get the "loading bar" and nothing happens. So I am pretty sure it has already been answered, but please inform me if you can as to what those messages are and what triggers them.

Thank you all
Attached Images   
Old 01-17-2017, 12:57 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Get the code for the check engine light, and report what it is. Thats the first step.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:22 PM
subfloor@centurytrans
Supporting Vendor

Received 776 Likes on 505 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C6 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Droobui
Hi everybody,

I am the new owner of a Corvette C6 Z06.
It's a 2012 car with 8'000 miles.

The engine has been changed under warranty by an official garage here in Switzerland end of 2015 about a year ago, and the car had ~ 5'000 miles at the time. The engine did not blow up but made a strange noise, and after check, they changed it under warranty that's all I know.

All this to say, I had the service done 1 month ago and everything checked out perfeclty, no issues etc...

But a few days ago I had the following warning hapening on my car. + the check engine light..

Service traction system
Service handling system

It's pretty funny because watching a C-Net review, I saw that they had the same error message on their video... I called my garage which told me they dont know but shouldn t be anything serious since they just serviced the whole car with no issues.

So I am asking you guys because the search function is not working for me at the moment on the forum, I get the "loading bar" and nothing happens. So I am pretty sure it has already been answered, but please inform me if you can as to what those messages are and what triggers them.

Thank you all
On each wheel is a VSS connector (vehicle speed sensor) and I can tell you from experience that they do not like being tugged on or moved around which is common when doing any kind of major work, in your case having the engine replaced.

If the warning message on the DIC goes away after you restart the car and only comes back intermittently then what I'd suggest is examining each connector to make sure it's still on the metal clip holding it onto the wheel hub and to also disconnect and reconnect each one to make sure it's seated correctly.

I frequently have that issue whenever I have my transmission out of the car and 99 times out of 100 doing what I described above will end up fixing the problem.
The following users liked this post:
Droobui (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 04:35 PM
Droobui
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by subfloor@centurytrans
On each wheel is a VSS connector (vehicle speed sensor) and I can tell you from experience that they do not like being tugged on or moved around which is common when doing any kind of major work, in your case having the engine replaced.

If the warning message on the DIC goes away after you restart the car and only comes back intermittently then what I'd suggest is examining each connector to make sure it's still on the metal clip holding it onto the wheel hub and to also disconnect and reconnect each one to make sure it's seated correctly.

I frequently have that issue whenever I have my transmission out of the car and 99 times out of 100 doing what I described above will end up fixing the problem.
Hi,

Thank you very much for this information.

I'll have a look at those VSS connector and hopefully that will correct it.

Thanks for sharing !
Old 01-17-2017, 08:40 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Get the code so your not chasing blindly as earlier recommended
Old 01-17-2017, 10:30 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by outhouse
Get the code so your not chasing blindly as earlier recommended
and it will probably be... Wheel sensors as mentioned above, spark plug wire not completely on, battery dieing, blue connections under passengers side footwell (under fuses) BCM, EBCM.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:48 PM
Synacks
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I just had all of this on my previous Z06. Go somewhere and get that check engine light code read immediately and report back.

My issue was with the lifters going bad and I had to have all of the lifters replaced along with the cam. A several thousand dollar ordeal.

Get the code scanned ASAP and drive the car as little as possible as to not make things worse.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:15 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

There are three functions of the ABS. ABS, TC and AH. Some failures affect all 3. A bad wheel speed sensor is one of the ones that will affect all 3. Since only two are affected it is highly likely the problem isn't a wheel speed sensor.

Two of the functions TC and AH depend on the engine computer being able to control rear wheel torque when the electronic brake control module requests a torque reduction so TC or AH can respond to a need. If the engine computer can't control the engine properly such as occurs with an engine misfire or other control problem it sets a diagnostic code that turns on the Check Engine Light and sends a message to the electronic brake control module the engine won't be able to respond as requested. The EBCM then sets a code that turns on the Service AH and Service TC messages. When the code is read it basically tells the mechanic the problem isn't here it is in the engine.

It is easy for people including mechanics to get confused over these messages and what they mean. I really suspect you have a simple engine control problem (maybe even a loose spark plug wire) that is causing the message.

First thing to do is to read the codes and resolve the CEL and then see what else happens.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Landru (01-21-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Service Traction System - Service Handling System

Quick Reply: [Z06] Service Traction System - Service Handling System