Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Need some advice, cam, headers, etc?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 11:56 PM
ncsurveyor2007
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need some advice, cam, headers, etc?

So I recently purchased an 08 Zo6 with 8900 miles, completely stock. I'm preparing to have the heads addressed. I'm debating whether to leave it stock otherwise or add some other mods to improve the sound/performance while I'm having the heads done. I will admit I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to headers, cams, exhaust but I love the car and would like to learn. I would like for it to sound better, meaner, but still be enjoyable to drive. It already has plenty of power for me so I'm not too worried about increasing that a lot. I guess what I'm getting at is can you guys school me on a few questions? Is it possible to improve the sound with just an aftermarket exhaust or long tube headers without an aftermarket cam or should I do a cam, headers, Anything else? What would you guys suggest? Again I apologize for my ignorance, I guess we all gotta start learning somewhere.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:20 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

If it still has stock exhaust, and you simply want more sound, aftermarket exhaust would be the cheapest and easiest route. If you want MORE sound, then adding headers and X pipe will give you MORE sound. A cam will not add more sound, just make what sound you have sound different, plus give more power. I think I would start off with just an exhaust, then if that is not enough, add the headers or X pipe or both. That also would require a re-tune, which is another $4-500, but would also give you more horsepower.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:52 AM
NemeZ
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

If you only want more sound I wouldn't add a cam. I was super happy with just the muffler mod. If you don't want to mess with welding/cutting, you can buy 2011+ Z06 mufflers or any ZR1 mufflers which already has a straight pipe section inside. If it's not loud enough you can do headers + xpipe.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:37 AM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

Doing the exhaust is expensive for no performance gain. Headers with x-pipe will give you a sound increase as well as a performance gain. If used with a Mild 2 Wild switch, it will still be pretty tame with the flaps closed, but more aggressive when open.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:30 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

If you just want more sound around town, then you can pull the exhaust flapper fuse. For more convenience you can buy a Mild to Wild control that costs about $75 and you can control whether the flaps are open or closed. Open the exhaust will drone on the highway and that is annoying.

You can get a new cat back exhaust for $800-$2000 and that will change the sound and increase the volume, but if it doesn't have the dual mode, again the drone will get to you on the highway.

From the description of what you want, you probably don't need the expense of a cam $2000-$2500 if done when heads are off, but if you go cam then a mild 116 torquer would fit your needs.

The cheapest way to do headers/cam or mods like that is when the heads are off. You can go anywhere from $5K to $15K+

Get notified of new replies

To Need some advice, cam, headers, etc?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Need some advice, cam, headers, etc?