Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 1/2" wheel spacers

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 11:57 PM
etazbaz
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

Default 1/2" wheel spacers

Installed 1/2" wheel spacers and think they improved the looks of the car. Used extended lug nuts with the factory studs. Have at least 10 threads showing so I am not worried about a lack of thread engagement. I did have to counterbore the mounting holes in the spacers because the extended lug nuts were bottoming out on the spacer. I went with 20mm OD that was 3mm deep. YOU CANNOT MOUNT THESE SPACERS WITHOUT DOING THIS!!!! Ordered extended lugs https://www.summitracing.com/parts/GOR-21133ETXL and Baer spacers https://www.summitracing.com/parts/BAE-2000010 from summit racing. Total cost was just $162.

BTW- wheels, tires and ride height are all stock.

Note: Don't forget to remove the brake rotor retaining clips on the studs prior to mounting the spacers, otherwise they will not bottom out on the rotor.

Take a look at the pics and judge for yourself.

Before

After

Last edited by etazbaz; 02-04-2017 at 11:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
skywalker (05-29-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 01:15 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I just simply put wider tires on. Whole lot less trouble. It does look good.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:19 AM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

Looks good. That's a good option, especially if the car is lowered and you don't want to splurge on rims and/or tires.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:06 AM
D0ppler
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice! I was just thinking about doing this to my Z.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:01 AM
*El Ocho*
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks good.

Better pics from a little farther out would let us get a better look though
Old 02-06-2017, 07:45 PM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd be worried about rock chips now!
Old 05-25-2017, 11:41 AM
cmb570
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

looks good, thanks for details.. looking into doing same now
Old 05-25-2017, 11:58 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by fisher auto
I'd be worried about rock chips now!
I couldn't agree more, might as well sandblast the rear quarters and get it over with
Old 05-25-2017, 12:10 PM
etazbaz
Racer

Originally Posted by itomh
I couldn't agree more, might as well sandblast the rear quarters and get it over with
happy to report no rock chips after 2k miles of driving on the street. no burnouts or track days yet.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:13 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

OP, have you run into any issues with that size spacer? Im really trying to avoid taking my hubs apart and installing new studs. Just wondering how they have help up for a year.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:24 PM
etazbaz
Racer

Originally Posted by Maligator
OP, have you run into any issues with that size spacer? Im really trying to avoid taking my hubs apart and installing new studs. Just wondering how they have help up for a year.
no problems to report.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:24 AM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by etazbaz
no problems to report.
any chance you can repost the pics since they are down? Id like to see if 1/4 makes a difference.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:33 AM
I brake for nothing
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 88 Posts

I purchased a bunch of different spacer sizes to test offsets in anticipation of ordering some light weight forged wheels. I didnt want to regret the offset or have to run spacers on an expensive wheel.

I tried ~ 20mm / ~13mm / ~7mm front and rear.

The ~13mm was the best in the front but you will get rock chips . I will PPF the whole side before I go that aggressive again. I like to blast through the back roads and it just throws too much debris in the corners.

This photo is ~7mm out back. The front photo is the fattest spacer front and rear which tucked much more when the suspension settled out. I dont have any other photos handy.

I think ~13mm is max in the rear without trimming the quarters. Ill have to play with it all a bit more before picking a final offset.

Sizes are not exact but close I would have to check the spacers with a caliper.
Attached Images   
Old 12-23-2017, 02:34 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by etazbaz
Installed 1/2" wheel spacers and think they improved the looks of the car. Used extended lug nuts with the factory studs. Have at least 10 threads showing so I am not worried about a lack of thread engagement. I did have to counterbore the mounting holes in the spacers because the extended lug nuts were bottoming out on the spacer. I went with 20mm OD that was 3mm deep. YOU CANNOT MOUNT THESE SPACERS WITHOUT DOING THIS!!!! Ordered extended lugs https://www.summitracing.com/parts/GOR-21133ETXL and Baer spacers https://www.summitracing.com/parts/BAE-2000010 from summit racing. Total cost was just $162.
The number of threads showing is not as good a method as turns of the lugnut to determine thread engagement. You first need to know that a minimum of 8 full threads exist on the lugnut itself. Then with the wheel in place, you need at least 8 full turns of the lugnut to ensure a safe level of thread engagement on 12 x 1.5 thread. The standard minimum engagement is that the length is equal to the diameter.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:59 AM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by I brake for nothing
I purchased a bunch of different spacer sizes to test offsets in anticipation of ordering some light weight forged wheels. I didnt want to regret the offset or have to run spacers on an expensive wheel.

I tried ~ 20mm / ~13mm / ~7mm front and rear.

The ~13mm was the best in the front but you will get rock chips . I will PPF the whole side before I go that aggressive again. I like to blast through the back roads and it just throws too much debris in the corners.

This photo is ~7mm out back. The front photo is the fattest spacer front and rear which tucked much more when the suspension settled out. I dont have any other photos handy.

I think ~13mm is max in the rear without trimming the quarters. Ill have to play with it all a bit more before picking a final offset.

Sizes are not exact but close I would have to check the spacers with a caliper.
what brand/where did you buy the spacers?

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
The number of threads showing is not as good a method as turns of the lugnut to determine thread engagement. You first need to know that a minimum of 8 full threads exist on the lugnut itself. Then with the wheel in place, you need at least 8 full turns of the lugnut to ensure a safe level of thread engagement on 12 x 1.5 thread. The standard minimum engagement is that the length is equal to the diameter.
Wouldn't ET lug nuts satisfy this?
Old 12-24-2017, 10:26 AM
I brake for nothing
Burning Brakes

Received 143 Likes on 88 Posts

The spacers are all from Motorsport Tech. Billet exact fit and hub centric. These work with carbon front brakes as well with no modification.

Dorman makes the "just" 1/2 inch longer front studs companies like DRM sell as well. So if you do not want a massive stick out from an ARP stud you can use these. They slip in from behind with just a slight grind to the head.

Part Number: D18610323
Mfg ID: 610-323
Old 12-24-2017, 10:54 AM
Z06Qazi
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I did 15MM spacers front and rear on my 07Z running OEM spyder wheels with OEM tire size and they look great.I tried 10 / 12 / 20 .. 15 made is flush .. i could add another 5mm up front but decided to keep it civil lol. I also did extended ARP studs front and rear . No rubbing and im lowered on viking coilovers . Stock alignment specs , no extra camber .

Get notified of new replies

To 1/2" wheel spacers

Old 12-24-2017, 12:47 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Maligator
Wouldn't ET lug nuts satisfy this?
There is no magic bullet lugnut that resolves every problem. No matter what length of stud, thickness of spacer, thickness of wheel, and size of lugnut, you still need full contact of enough thread distance to equal or exceed the stud diameter.

As an example, suppose you have a factory wheel with OEM lugnuts. The design meets the SAE standard for thread engagement. In the case of a C6, the stud thread is 12 x 1.5, so every full turn of the lugnut equals 1.5 mm. In 8 full turns it equals 12 mm, which is the same as the diameter of the stud and it meets the standard if we assume the OEM lugnut has at least 8 full internal threads.

Now let's assume the ET lugnut creates 3 extra threads where all 3 are on the leading end. When used with the stock wheel and stock stud, it'll require 3 more rotations and it'll have 16.5 mm of thread engagement. However, if a 6 mm spacer is used, you lose that much thread and end up with 10.5 mm of thread engagement, aka 7 turns.

The important thing here is to know that the number of full threads on the lugnut will allow a minimum of 8 full turns and not bottom out externally on the hub or internally on the stud. Since open end lugnuts are only common on race cars, it's hard to count internal threads visually. You can use a pick tool to feel threads or grind off all but the first full thread of a bolt and count the turns until it either freely spins or contacts the internal end. If that seems like a PITA to check, then consider the PITA if you lose a wheel when driving.

I no longer have the OEM plain steel lugnuts with the stainless cover, but do have the 4 "theft proof" ones that the dealer installed as a "gift". I just checked and counted 11 full threads on them. When installing them on a stud, it took 13 turns to bottom out, which means the threads didn't go full length. And that's why knowing exactly how many threads on aftermarket lugnuts is just as important as knowing what stud length and style to buy if or when you need longer studs.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:29 PM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,282 Likes on 927 Posts

With factory offset z06 rims i thought the front needed wider of a spacer than the rear...
Old 12-25-2017, 09:26 AM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by I brake for nothing
The spacers are all from Motorsport Tech. Billet exact fit and hub centric. These work with carbon front brakes as well with no modification.

Dorman makes the "just" 1/2 inch longer front studs companies like DRM sell as well. So if you do not want a massive stick out from an ARP stud you can use these. They slip in from behind with just a slight grind to the head.

Part Number: D18610323
Mfg ID: 610-323
you were able to slip them in front and rear hubs without removing them?

Quick Reply: [Z06] 1/2" wheel spacers