Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Advice on yet another H/C/I Z build..

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 08:46 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by ncsurveyor2007
Do you have any video of your car? I'd love to hear it idle. I'm considering the same setup and want to make sure I don't go too big on the cam choice. Hows the drone on the highway?
Drone is subjective, and based more on your engine / exhaust set up (headers? what brand/type of exhaust?). The cam made the car a little louder at idle, but as far as I can tell, not much more at speed. My car was already loud with the headers, x-pipe and Corsa sports, but not too loud. Just right, if you ask me.

Last edited by Must_Have_Z; 02-15-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:25 PM
03worthy4link
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

So a bit of an update,

Car is apart and back together already. Unfortunately I'm stuck waiting for my halltech intake until Monday. I had local guy who was supposedly 'reputable' come and give me a base tune. He did his thing for a few minutes and we drove the car, made a couple hits and he set me up what he claims was 'safe' until I can get to my tuner.

In so few words, the tune he left me with is ****. Car reaks of fuel, hunts for an idle, is hard to start, and bucks like its a monster cam. It'll sit and idle at 750rpm pretty good, but after cruising and say throwing it into neutral and coasting it'll go to hunting in great ~1000rpm sweeps dropping all the way down to 300rpm or so and then shooting back up until you modulate it to mellow it out.

Also, my stock TB just bareeeelllyyy seems to fit the MSD intake.( see pic) I don't see how it can be sealed but I've attempted spraying the area in question with flammable goods for no change in idle at all. I pulled the TB back off to inspect and see if the o ring is making contact, only to notice a light film of oil already in my intake. We're talking less than 100 miles on the car and already noticable oil? I'm hoping I just overfilled it perhaps although I believe I didn't.

Long story short, not too happy and won't have my baby back in full form until next week to see if this was a good idea or not lol. Any input is appreciated in regards to oil and I'm sure an actual tune will alleviate a lot of my gripes.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:28 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Get the adapter plate from MSD...just a thin metal plate that helps to seal with eth stock TB. It really should come with this IMO. Many drive as is, just like yours looks though.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:21 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Love it!!! Lets trade wheels.... I am digging the Comp Gray!! I have some nice Chromies....

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
Drone is subjective, and based more on your engine / exhaust set up (headers? what brand/type of exhaust?). The cam made the car a little louder at idle, but as far as I can tell, not much more at speed. My car was already loud with the headers, x-pipe and Corsa sports, but not too loud. Just right, if you ask me.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:22 PM
03worthy4link
Racer

Well an update. Car finally made it to dyno. Well worth the wait. Josh @ Lashway Motorsports gave me back a sweet running car that made great power. 565whp/511wtq on a mustang dyno. Results are rather impressive. A great driving cam that made power all the way to 6900rpm.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:48 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Congrats! Great results...how's the drivability down low?
Old 03-21-2017, 07:55 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by 03worthy4link

Also, my stock TB just bareeeelllyyy seems to fit the MSD intake

They are all like that but no complaints about them leaking.

I just center mine and use blue loktite and its all good.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:21 PM
03worthy4link
Racer

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Congrats! Great results...how's the drivability down low?

Drivability is great imo. Some bucking on decel if you're obnoxious. But cruises 50mph in 6th at 1100rpm without much fuss. I'd say 85-90% stock drivability was retained which is fantastic.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:17 AM
SPDKLZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 188 Posts

Do you guys ever get tired of reading these? Lol

Welp extended warranty is running out, so finally going to dig in to my Z, fix the heads and put in a cam along with supporting mods. I've bothered a couple members through PM, but figured I may as well just make a thread.

Like everyone else I want as much power as possible, but I think i'd rather drop the chase for 600whp and focus on making an honest 550whp while retaining as much drivability as I can. I was dead set on the BTR stage 3, but have been looking more and more at the stage 2 as things progress. Here's what i'm thinking/have -

BTR Stage 2 LS7 cam -230/246 .644"/.630" 115+4
AHP Stage 4 heads, stock intake, ported exhaust, milled .020
BTR .660 dual springs
American Racing 1-7/8 Headers no cats
Akrapovic cat back
MSD Airforce
Ported Stock TB or NW102??
Halltech MF103

Information/results on the BTR stage 2 are somewhat scarce. One member recently installed one, but the poor fella is deployed and hasn't got to drive it to offer feedback. BTR themselves said this cam would be about 10-15 peak hp behind their stage 3. What do you wise sages think this setup would net power wise, and how do you suspect drivability to be?

Thanks in advance to any input, and a double thanks to the poor bastards i've already bothered who are reading this again

I have a very similar build to you that will begin in a couple weeks. The shop doing the build is also sending the heads to AHP for their Stage 4 package plus porting. There will not be any milling though because 91 octane is the best gas I can get. I'm curious as to why you chose to port the exhaust and keep the intake stock?

Callaway Honker
Ported stock tb
ported MSD
BTR Stage 2 cam
2'' ARH

Thanks, Jesse
Old 03-22-2017, 10:12 AM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Received 649 Likes on 328 Posts

Hmm, I thought I would have to wait for my MSD stock throttle body adapter to arrive in the mail later this week, but it seems some people are running the stock throttle body with MSD manifold with no adapter at all? Seems I should at least be able to idle it in the garage to make sure everything in my new build checks out.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:14 AM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 898 Likes on 687 Posts

Great power on that cam. Made more than I did with a BTR 3! haha.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:09 AM
ncsurveyor2007
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you guys ever get tired of reading these? Lol

Welp extended warranty is running out, so finally going to dig in to my Z, fix the heads and put in a cam along with supporting mods. I've bothered a couple members through PM, but figured I may as well just make a thread.

Like everyone else I want as much power as possible, but I think i'd rather drop the chase for 600whp and focus on making an honest 550whp while retaining as much drivability as I can. I was dead set on the BTR stage 3, but have been looking more and more at the stage 2 as things progress. Here's what i'm thinking/have -

BTR Stage 2 LS7 cam -230/246 .644"/.630" 115+4
AHP Stage 4 heads, stock intake, ported exhaust, milled .020
BTR .660 dual springs
American Racing 1-7/8 Headers no cats
Akrapovic cat back
MSD Airforce
Ported Stock TB or NW102??
Halltech MF103

Information/results on the BTR stage 2 are somewhat scarce. One member recently installed one, but the poor fella is deployed and hasn't got to drive it to offer feedback. BTR themselves said this cam would be about 10-15 peak hp behind their stage 3. What do you wise sages think this setup would net power wise, and how do you suspect drivability to be?

Thanks in advance to any input, and a double thanks to the poor bastards i've already bothered who are reading this again
I'll be picking up my Zo6 this friday with almost the same setup except Kooks headers instead of ARs. I"ll post up some video and results once I get it.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:09 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MTBSully
but it seems some people are running the stock throttle body with MSD manifold with no adapter at all?

Most do not run the adapter, no one reporting a leak.

The visual looks off.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:12 PM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Received 649 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by outhouse
Most do not run the adapter, no one reporting a leak.

The visual looks off.
No excuses for me then. Better get that manifold on tonight and fire her up
Old 03-22-2017, 12:36 PM
03worthy4link
Racer

Originally Posted by SPDKLZ1
I have a very similar build to you that will begin in a couple weeks. The shop doing the build is also sending the heads to AHP for their Stage 4 package plus porting. There will not be any milling though because 91 octane is the best gas I can get. I'm curious as to why you chose to port the exhaust and keep the intake stock?

Callaway Honker
Ported stock tb
ported MSD
BTR Stage 2 cam
2'' ARH

Thanks, Jesse
I opted to leave the intake side stock since I didn't feel the need to trade velocity for cfm I didn't really need with the stage 2. The LS7 head is a beauty from factory(sans guides) and benefits a lot from just opening up the exhaust to keep up with the intake. Information in regards to this is out there.

In regards to the MSD and adapter, like outhouse said the visual will make you doubt it but mine is working with no issues looking just as above.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:00 PM
SPDKLZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 272 Likes on 188 Posts

Thanks 03worthy. I'll have to talk to Kohle about that-the option/benefits to porting just the exhaust side was never mentioned in our brief conversations about the stage 4 package with porting. Tony Mamo is sending me an adapter plate with my trimmed fuel rail covers.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:34 PM
03worthy4link
Racer

Originally Posted by SPDKLZ1
Thanks 03worthy. I'll have to talk to Kohle about that-the option/benefits to porting just the exhaust side was never mentioned in our brief conversations about the stage 4 package with porting. Tony Mamo is sending me an adapter plate with my trimmed fuel rail covers.
Do not quote me, but I believe Kohle's stage 4 package is exhaust only porting. Atleast that's what his website would have me believe.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:01 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Do not quote me, but I believe Kohle's stage 4 package is exhaust only porting. Atleast that's what his website would have me believe.

#4 has an option for porting none is done on the standard package.

If you add porting to a #4 he does both int and exh

Quick Reply: [Z06] Advice on yet another H/C/I Z build..