Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Help with deciding on a cam

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 03:23 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
I have lots of respect for them, but for the life of me, I can't understand why they continue to use XE-R lobes on their Torquer cams. There is just no good reason. I've seen countless valve trains destroyed by lobes that are just too aggressive. If your car is a street car, get something soft, and you'll be much more happy. If you're looking at Comp, they would be LXL, HUC, and XE-HL lobes. No XE-R, LSL, or LSK. Cam Motion can also get you something similar.

OP-If you like the G5X3 in your 346 FRC, you'll find the BTR III to have better drivability in your 427. The BTR II would be even better. That LG cam was about as big as you could go in an LS1, and not have to fly cut the pistons.

Also, you can't just look at a cams LSA, and say that a 116 will drive better than a 114. That isn't necessarily the case. LSA is a product of the valve events, and should NOT be used just to give a cam better manners. This is how you end up with a setup that does not perform optimally.
I hear you. I've learned from your info in past posts. Right now I have a custom grind spec'ed out from somebody else with very similar specs to the Torquer 116 but on endurance lobes with +1 overlap. I have a call to make today to Geoff at EPS to follow up on a cam he spec'ed for me a few months ago. I love the way the 116 hits hard and I'm hoping to get that power with endurance lobes.
The following users liked this post:
MTPZ06 (02-14-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 03:50 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Our B3 cam does very well in LS7's. We can grind it on a 116 lsa for smoother drivability
Old 02-13-2017, 03:53 PM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
I hear you. I've learned from your info in past posts. Right now I have a custom grind spec'ed out from somebody else with very similar specs to the Torquer 116 but on endurance lobes with +1 overlap. I have a call to make today to Geoff at EPS to follow up on a cam he spec'ed for me a few months ago. I love the way the 116 hits hard and I'm hoping to get that power with endurance lobes.
Geoff is a very knowledgeable guy. He's had his name on some pretty notable grinds over the years...TR220, TR224, tRex, etc. I ran a few myself.

Softer lobes do add a bit more "seat to seat" duration, and give a bit less "valve time area", but in my experience, the gain in valve train stability almost cancels this out. Back when I was a young buck, and the XE-R lobes had just come out, I HAD to have them, thinking that they were worth a significant amount of power...plus all of the BIG guys were using them. As the years went on, and further testing was done, it was proven that it wasn't much of a difference...but it did take a toll on your valve train. I still like to push the envelope, but not nearly as much. I like driving more, and wrenching less.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:55 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by ncsurveyor2007
He just stated that the Katech 110 would cause some low rpm surging....that he wouldn't go with that...
From your description in your original post I would advise you go with the Torquer 116. There should be no surging what-so-ever with either camshaft if you have a good tuner. Some cam lug with the Torquer 110 below 1400rpm and 30mph. Absolutely nothing with higher loads. Sounds like you would benefit from an install and tune by Katech. Get that baby up here and let's get her fixed up.

(e) zach@katechengines.com

Last edited by Katech_Zach; 02-13-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:58 PM
NW94Z
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
I'm running a custom grind cam similar to a 116 that I worked on with Geoff at EPS. Overlap is +2 though. 224/244 Lift .630/.630 LSA 116

Was able to pull over 600 RWHP on a Dynapack that AHP uses for tuning.

The important part is the car still drives very nicely.
The following users liked this post:
MTPZ06 (02-14-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 07:20 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

One good reason is that the Katech cams have been exhaustively validated for the recommended combinations. This is something very, very few other vendors can offer. If the system is stable, it doesn't matter what the lobe design is, it's working. Another good reason is that the Katech cam packages have been in use now for a good number of years in many different engines, and I haven't noticed a lot of hysteria about blown engines and trashed valve trains with the Katech combinations.

Just sayin

I have lots of respect for them, but for the life of me, I can't understand why they continue to use XE-R lobes on their Torquer cams. There is just no good reason. I've seen countless valve trains destroyed by lobes that are just too aggressive. If your car is a street car, get something soft, and you'll be much more happy. If you're looking at Comp, they would be LXL, HUC, and XE-HL lobes. No XE-R, LSL, or LSK. Cam Motion can also get you something similar.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:18 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

OP-If you like the G5X3 in your 346 FRC, you'll find the BTR III to have better drivability in your 427. The BTR II would be even better. That LG cam was about as big as you could go in an LS1, and not have to fly cut the pistons.

Also, you can't just look at a cams LSA, and say that a 116 will drive better than a 114. That isn't necessarily the case. LSA is a product of the valve events, and should NOT be used just to give a cam better manners. This is how you end up with a setup that does not perform optimally.
We continue to use them because we don't have failures. When we have a stable valvetrain validated on our Spintron we keep the valve in control and don't beat parts up. If we were having issues with them, we would stop using them. No issues - keep using a proven package.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:08 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

I went with a cam custom spec'd by Pat G. Very very similar to the BTR Stage 2.

230/246 .634/.634 116+4. 6 degrees overlap.

Paired with K&N intake, Mamo MSD, NW102 AHP Stage 4 milled .015 heads, Kooks headers and Corsa Sport, I made 556/490. Very happy with the power and driveability from a relatively mild cam. Good chop/lope at idle, but drives great. The addition of the NW102 made the car more fun to drive than stock, because the throttle response is much better ("quicker") and makes shifting smoother. Hardly any extra surge or bucking with this cam. Love it so far, looking forward to the driving season coming up!

Last edited by Must_Have_Z; 02-15-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:06 AM
*El Ocho*
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm in the same boat. Will be doing heads/cam soon, just need to decide on a decent, mild cam.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:58 AM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
We continue to use them because we don't have failures. When we have a stable valvetrain validated on our Spintron we keep the valve in control and don't beat parts up. If we were having issues with them, we would stop using them. No issues - keep using a proven package.
Fair enough...I can respect that.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:12 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by *El Ocho*
I'm in the same boat. Will be doing heads/cam soon, just need to decide on a decent, mild cam.

Katech or AHP same grind 116 offers great power with perfect street manners.

Love mine rain or shine, drives better then stock.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:27 PM
JFG Racing #1
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

BTR stage 4 cam
BTR spring and rod kit
BTR truion upgrade
Ported MSD intake
Ported stock TB
Haltech 112cf CAI
LME ported and milled heads
Kooks 1 7/8 headers and catted xpipe
Stock npp exhaust

Last edited by JFG Racing #1; 02-15-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:17 PM
fueledpassion
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Mine is 236/244 on a 112+3. It's moderate. Overlap is 16* I think @ .050" lift.

Anyways, if you have a good tuner, someone who understands how to tune part throttle really well and has a track record in doing so, then I would say:

-Keep the overlap 16 or lower @ .050
-Keep the .006" lift duration below 300 on either intake or exhaust
-Keep the slope/lobe/ramp rate moderate
-An atypical grind is better, IMO because you can get an aggressive ramp to open the valve sooner and hold it for longer and have a softer profile for closing events to keep valve train from slapping the seat.

Mine is more aggressive but only because it has a really aggressive slope ground into the cam, making it open almost like a solid roller cam. Basically, it opens very quickly, builds power a few thousand RPM's earlier than most cams, but still holds it's own up top.

If you don't know how good the tuner is, then you should get a cam that the tuner feels comfortable tuning because not all cams are the same in tuning - not even close in some case. Add another degree to my intake advance and there would only be a handful of tuners in the country that could adequately handle the specs of that cam for street applications. So if you were to deal with Katech, then you need to go with a cam that Katech feels comfortable giving you based on your needs. Don't ask them to be like some other shop or to provide results like this guy or to work a build around an unfamiliar cam spec. That isn't a recipe for success, IMO.

Last edited by fueledpassion; 02-15-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:48 PM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 361 Posts

I'm sure there are some nice off the shelf cams, but the fact that you can get a custom cam from a few very knowledgeable guys for basically the same price, I think that's the way to go.

Tell them your exact setup and exactly what you are looking for and they will deliver. Based on the advice of others hear I went with Geoff @ EPS. Emailed him all my specs and spoke with him on the phone to verify exactly what I wanted and within 10 days it will be shipped to me for total of $465 shipped.

Description: Custom LSX Camshaft 222/238 118 +4 .639"/.604" for an LS7 engine.

Tax Exempt Yes
Billing Information
NY
USA
Shipping Information
NY 11950
USA
Shipping: $20.00 (USD)
Tax: $0.00 (USD)
Total: $465.00 (USD)

Merchant Contact Information
Engine Power Systems, LLC.
Baton Rouge, LA 70806
US
geoff@engpwrsys.com

Last edited by kbreese; 02-15-2017 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:14 AM
131 Zack 131
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm on the same boat with deciding on a cam....

I want to pull the trigger to get the heads fixed this month but I just can't decide what cam to go with. I like how both the BTR stage 3 and torquer 110 sound at idle....just can't decide between the two or a custom grind.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:21 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kbreese
I'm sure there are some nice off the shelf cams, but the fact that you can get a custom cam from a few very knowledgeable guys for basically the same price, I think that's the way to go.

I was in those same shoes, decided to trust the guys that do it day in and day out on this motor.

I have no regret at all getting the 116 from AHP, the extra 10-15hp of an aggressive cam would be fun about one day every few months, but that's it.

I chose my cam because its a Daily driver and it really does drive better then stock and plenty of power.

The problem with a custom grind is as Katech pointed out, its a crap shoot on longevity. My cam has been through the spintron and not a single negative remark from any user yet.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:23 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 131 Zack 131
I want to pull the trigger to get the heads fixed this month but I just can't decide what cam to go with. I like how both the BTR stage 3 and torquer 110 sound at idle....just can't decide between the two or a custom grind.

So its not a daily driver?

Don't buy for sound.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with deciding on a cam

Old 02-18-2017, 12:44 AM
131 Zack 131
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by outhouse
So its not a daily driver?

Don't buy for sound.
You're not the first to tell me that lol. And yes, not a DD.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:15 AM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by outhouse

The problem with a custom grind is as Katech pointed out, its a crap shoot on longevity
I'm not saying you are wrong, but I'm not understanding this. Regarding EPS cams, I heard the Cam Motion cams are very good quality and stronger then Comp Cams for example. Also heard good things about the endurance lobes Geoff uses, with them being easier on the valve train. That coupled with going with a fairly mild cam, I'm not sure why it would raise a question on longevity just because it was custom spec'd?
Old 02-21-2017, 12:11 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kbreese
I'm not understanding this.

The 116 has a great track record, it is popular with no complaints.

A custom cam is just that, no track record. You did pick guys that can be trusted, and I'm sure it will be a fine cam. I just liked knowing what I was getting and something that was put on a spintron and tested well before it was even released for production. Then after release, it has had nothing but positive reviews.

I wish we knew synergy's mild cams #rs, I know they put out proven mild cams as well. Either way you will be fine your in good hands.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Help with deciding on a cam