Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Jack and stands

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 01:28 PM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Jack and stands

What sort of jack and jack stands do you guys have for your Z06? Are jack pucks a must? Do I need to get something that goes on the jack stand that spans across the bottom of the undercarriage?

I want to change my differential and transmission fluid next weekend but first I have to get a jack and stands.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:05 PM
.gearhead.
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 88 Posts

http://smithfabrication.webs.com/app...bumid=14095733
Old 02-19-2017, 02:35 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

I use the same jack stands I use for any other car. I typically use smaller jackstands if I just need to work on brakes, but I have many sizes. They all work fine.

I have multiple jacks also, but I tend to use a low profile aluminum jack most of the time. I just regular ole hockey pucks when I need to jack up the car on the sides. If you only need to lift and support the rear of the car, a low profile jack will fit on the rear cross member.
The following users liked this post:
Navy Blue 210 (02-25-2018)
Old 02-19-2017, 02:42 PM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

I need something that will fit under the car by itself. I've seen some guys using a jack to jack up the side of the car to then fit a jack under the front of the car. I don't want that. I'm guessing something like this is overkill?

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-2...and-sport.aspx

I'll probably just get regular jack stands.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:28 PM
jayyyw
Le Mans Master

Received 897 Likes on 686 Posts

Grab a low profile jack from harbour freight and a few jack stands.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:49 PM
08mojo
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

No need for the pricey jack pads. Go to your local sporting goods store and pick up some hockey pucks--they work great! I used to jack up each side of the car and place a 4x6 under each tire. Then I could get the jack to the front and rear cradles. To jack up by the cradles, make sure you have something that puts weight on the portions of the cradles that are meant to take the weight--do not use the jack directly on the cradle, you could crack the cradle. I used a 4x6 to span the cradle jacking points. With the jack under the cradles, I would then place the jack stands on the frame by the rocker panels.

That was a lot of work to get the car in the air, so I got a MaxJack--it's worth every penny:

Old 02-19-2017, 05:27 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Old 02-19-2017, 05:32 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

On a more serious note...as previously said, get you some hockey pucks, on ebay, about $2 each. Get Harbor Freight low profile jack, put pucks on jacking points under car, raise car. If you need to get under car, get a good set of heavy duty jack stands on put pucks on stands.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:42 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Never had a need or issue without pucks.

Max Jax for any serious work, race ramps for service/quick stuff.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:44 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

I like Race Ramps for the front, Trak Jax for the back. Simply drive up. They never slip or slide. Worth the money. Then just jack up the back with a jack, 2 stands, done.

https://raceramps.com/car-ramps/gara...72-race-ramps/
https://raceramps.com/car-ramps/gara...k-assist-ramp/

Last edited by Must_Have_Z; 02-20-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-20-2017, 01:57 PM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

So if I want to raise the car from the front or the back I need a cross beam member that will spread out the support instead of just at one point where the jack is? But if I want to jack from the sides I can just throw a hockey puck on the jack point and jack the car up from the sides no problem?
Old 02-20-2017, 02:06 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Yes
Old 02-20-2017, 02:30 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Unreal
Never had a need or issue without pucks.

same here

I just make sure the cup is centered on the inner lip and up she goes with a Walmart low profile jack.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:16 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

The following users liked this post:
DPW_ (02-20-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 08:11 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by DanMan35
What sort of jack and jack stands do you guys have for your Z06? Are jack pucks a must?

Do I need to get something that goes on the jack stand that spans across the bottom of the undercarriage?

NO. THAT IS OVERKILL. Place the jackstands at the ends of the cross member. I used to place mine under the front bolts that hold the LCAs to the cradle. Buy jack stands that have wide tops that can span several inches and make sure you bridge across both sides of the cradle (not from left to right but from front to back). The cradle is shaped like an inverted U and you need to catch both sharp edges of the cradle. When bridged like that the cradle can actually support the entire weight of the front of the car on one jack stand.

In this picture from the post above you don't need the board all you need to do is place the jackstands where the end of the board are located with the heads of the stands running lengthwise of the car and bridging the two downward edges of the cradle just like the GM FSM recommends.

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
By placing the jackstands there that leaves you room to get to the diff and drain the fluid and be able to have a catch can in place to catch it.

At the track I would jack the car from the front shipping slot on either side, place a jackstand under the LCA bolt on that side and lower the jack. As the jackstand took the weight of the car and the jack pad lowered the other front wheel would come off the ground. Once the other front wheel was sufficiently off the ground I would lock the jack in place to help take some of the weight and place my wheels under the car to keep it from dropping all the way to the floor in case something happened. I would do this if I needed to make a quick rotor or pad change between sessions.

I want to change my differential and transmission fluid next weekend but first I have to get a jack and stands.
I have been placing my jackstands under the car this way since I first took delivery of my 97 C5 20 years ago in May. Have done it a lot of times since then on two C5s, one C6Z and now the C7 Z.

When I first got my 97 the pucks were only available from a GM supplier so I had to get by with pieces of 2x4 for about 6 months. The wood worked fine. Currently I have a set of pucks for the C7 but I also use real hockey pucks. They have the advantage of falling on the floor when you lower the jack. The ones that stick in the frame have a nasty habit of being left in place and then coming out of the frame at a bad place.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 02-22-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:12 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

I also have a set of real hockey pucks that I use. I just have to lift the car this was (with the jack) to get the lift arms under it. Then I place the lift pads on the hockey pucks and up she goes. I also put eye bolts in the hockey pucks to keep them in place. Just have to remember to remove them once the car is on the ground (and I have forgotten several times and had to buy more pucks...lol).
Old 02-23-2017, 06:56 PM
_BlueZ06_
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Jacks and Stands

I jack the car up from the sides with a 2x4 to spread out the load on the jack. If I just need the front or rear, then I'll lift from the cradle with support as shown by Bill. I simply use wood blocks on top of my jack stands since the stands will make groves into the wood to keep them in place. My harbor freight jack works well too.

Get notified of new replies

To Jack and stands

Old 02-21-2018, 12:48 AM
csvette8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone help with jack stand placement visuals? Not sure how they are placed wedged between a puck. Is there an adapter you could use?

Last edited by csvette8; 02-21-2018 at 12:52 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:27 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Harbor Freight low profile jack, used in combo with hockey pucks. You can find out how to convert the Hockey pucks here on the forum. I lift my Z06 like this for the winter. Easy access for oil change before spring

Old 02-21-2018, 09:34 AM
csvette8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itomh
Harbor Freight low profile jack, used in combo with hockey pucks. You can find out how to convert the Hockey pucks here on the forum. I lift my Z06 like this for the winter. Easy access for oil change before spring
I was asking specifically specifically about jack stands.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Jack and stands