Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Feedback on Kooks 2" vs ARH 2"

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 09:19 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

ARH

Mostly because I like Steve. Steve is awesome.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:38 PM
Josh B.
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 400 Posts

ARH has been working great on my build. Makes me regret ever purchasing my old LGs, especially with the cleaner layout of the intermediate pipe.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:16 PM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

ARH
Old 03-22-2017, 05:02 PM
KOOKS Headers
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We wanted to chime in on this with a few thoughts some of you in the Corvette world may or may not realize. We do not design our headers like a pair of socks, one size or style fits all. Our 1 7/8” and 2” C7 Headers are designed different, as a car needing a 1 7/8” header or a 2” Header will generally need different combinations to perform their best.

Our 1 7/8” headers include a merge collector and our 2” headers do not. The benefit of a merge collector is to help scavenge air from the cylinders. In a boosted application, this is not needed as the air is being forced out of the cylinders. If you are running a 2” header you should be making at least 850hp to 1000hp to see the benefits of this larger header. Most applications where this power level is being accomplished will rely on a supercharger to get there.

The second concern is the overall length of our headers on this application. We have done extensive dyno testing on primary lengths and cross-over (x-pipe) locations. We have found significant gains in moving the x-section as close to the front of the car as possible. The advantage of this move versus the overall header length is substantial. We even locate the x-section closer on the off road x-pipe without having to add room for the cats. Once again, we design for the MOST power per application and size/type.

The merge spike. This is a Kooks exclusive. We have a patent on it, we invented it. Others just copy it with “slight” variances to skirt this. Imitation is flattery, right?

And of course, fitment. We are some of the best fitting least troublesome headers in the world. We have had some Corvette headers in the past that may have been a little ill fitting. These were designed some years ago by an “American” designer/engineer. Rest assured these have been redesigned for the best and easiest fitments on the market. We are constantly listening to you the customer and improving our product to continue to be the best in the world.

Finally, we build all aspects of our headers. Collectors, flanges, everything. All in-house and American made.

So, comparing Kooks to the competition is pretty easy when you have the facts. And the fact is you need to be Kookin’ with Kooks!

Last edited by KOOKS Headers; 03-22-2017 at 05:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Da Z06 (03-25-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 05:06 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,092 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by KOOKS Headers
We wanted to chime in on this with a few thoughts some of you in the Corvette world may or may not realize. We do not design our headers like a pair of socks, one size or style fits all. Our 1 7/8” and 2” C7 Headers are designed different, as a car needing a 1 7/8” header or a 2” Header will generally need different combinations to perform their best.

Our 1 7/8” headers include a merge collector and our 2” headers do not. The benefit of a merge collector is to help scavenge air from the cylinders. In a boosted application, this is not needed as the air is being forced out of the cylinders. If you are running a 2” header you should be making at least 850hp to 1000hp to see the benefits of this larger header. Most applications where this power level is being accomplished will rely on a supercharger to get there.

The second concern is the overall length of our headers on this application. We have done extensive dyno testing on primary lengths and cross-over (x-pipe) locations. We have found significant gains in moving the x-section as close to the front of the car as possible. The advantage of this move versus the overall header length is substantial. We even locate the x-section closer on the off road x-pipe without having to add room for the cats. Once again, we design for the MOST power per application and size/type.

The merge spike. This is a Kooks exclusive. We have a patent on it, we invented it. Others just copy it with “slight” variances to skirt this. Imitation is flattery, right?

And of course, fitment. We are some of the best fitting least troublesome headers in the world. We have had some Corvette headers in the past that may have been a little ill fitting. Theses were designed some years ago by an “American” designer/engineer. Rest assured these have been redesigned for the best and easiest fitments on the market. We are constantly listening to you the customer and improving our product to continue to be the best in the world.

Finally, we build all aspects of our headers. Collectors, flanges, everything. All in-house and American made.

So, comparing Kooks to the competition is pretty easy when you have the facts. And the fact is you need to be Kookin’ with Kooks!
My apologies to the group for arguing a point that I was wrong on. I was going off some vendors' claims, not first hand info.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:47 PM
Da Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts

Thank you for the info Kook's!
Old 03-25-2017, 06:09 PM
Pelan
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm going to be swapping from kooks to arh here in the next few months. I'm going to do back to back dyno comparisons. I know vengance did a back to back comparison and they had a graph that looked exactly like mine with a significant dip at 3500 rpm with the kooks. his is a max effort build so if I can pick up any hp or tq then the switch is worth it.

Last edited by Pelan; 03-25-2017 at 06:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Da Z06 (03-25-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 03:35 PM
KOOKS Headers
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pelan
I'm going to be swapping from kooks to arh here in the next few months. I'm going to do back to back dyno comparisons. I know vengance did a back to back comparison and they had a graph that looked exactly like mine with a significant dip at 3500 rpm with the kooks. his is a max effort build so if I can pick up any hp or tq then the switch is worth it.
How long ago did you purchase the Kooks Headers? I am curious if they were the original design or the current design. Not sure how in a max effort car you would have any type of dip in terms of power. The first thing that comes to mind is tire or clutch slippage.
Vengance is an authorized Kooks dealer, I would be curious to hear them chime in on this subject.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:44 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

How long ago did you purchase the Kooks Headers? I am curious if they were the original design or the current design. Not sure how in a max effort car you would have any type of dip in terms of power. The first thing that comes to mind is tire or clutch slippage.
Vengance is an authorized Kooks dealer, I would be curious to hear them chime in on this subject.
Can you comment on the before / after date when these design changes occurred? A PM is fine as well. Thanks.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 03-27-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:55 PM
JayplaySS2
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I run SW 2" - look into my results - involved install no doubt but God is in the details
Old 03-27-2017, 07:14 PM
Pelan
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ts-inside.html

Here is the link to the testing they did which I'm sure you have seen. I have a auto swapped c6z with your 2in headers running a 447 with a solid roller. Now I understand you say 2in headers are not needed for a build like this but I have seen a number of guys pick up power across the whole board switching from a 1 7/8th to a 2in headers. The way I see it with a max effort build if I can pick up 3 rwhp peak and 9 rwtq its worth it in my eyes combine that with a electric water pump and a vette air and some racing fuel then these numbers all add up. This is actually the only test I have came across on this forum it seems guys don't switch out headers for such minimal gains. Me on the other hand I'm opposite. This test for me is going to be a true apples to apples comparison and will make up my mind for future purchases. If I don't gain any power at all then I'm out a few bucks. Good thing about money is you can always make more.

My kooks headers were purchased around october november 2016

Here is my dyno graph note the same dip around 3000 rpm. Which no one hangs around 3000 rpm but It will be a good comparison on the test if the arh fix that. Im in no way here to bash your product i actually think you build a nice set of headers but im here to make as much power as i can.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:04 AM
Da Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
Can you comment on the before / after date when these design changes occurred? A PM is fine as well. Thanks.
I very interested to know the change as well. PM will be fine as well.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:39 AM
MickVette
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Subscribing
Old 11-10-2017, 01:50 AM
ERIKGUNNAR
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And of course, fitment. We are some of the best fitting least troublesome headers in the world. We have had some Corvette headers in the past that may have been a little ill fitting. These were designed some years ago by an “American” designer/engineer. Rest assured these have been redesigned for the best and easiest fitments on the market. We are constantly listening to you the customer and improving our product to continue to be the best in the world.

Does your C6 Z06 stepped headers 1 7/8 to 2" have a merge collector?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Feedback on Kooks 2" vs ARH 2"