Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Most miles on AHP heads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 08:51 AM
redbird555
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

40-50k seems to be pretty good on the pm guides and honestly what I'd expect. Hopefully Kohle can pop in and confirm all that stuff. Wish I would have went with moldstar sometimes but for what I do the PM should last a long time.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:20 AM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

A lot of people showed their true colors last week kicking a dog while it was down.

many cried how harder guides wont even help trying to jump on the bang wagon.

Then some guy post about how his heads with bronze guides only lasted 7000 miles in a 630 hp ish motor, from a crap company who obviously not only used softer guides, but put in some sand paper valves ta boot.

The highest miles reported here so far are from Khole on the m90 guides at 60,000 with no real wear present. Kohle owns the reliability record.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:30 AM
redbird555
Drifting

Moldstar without a doubt is a badass guide but most people just go with the pm guides for cost. However if he's testing those at 40k or more and they're still ok I think that's awesome. I should have been more specific in the sense that I meant mileage with their standard on guides

It does seem that a some of bronze guides wear out prematurely which could be as said from valves that don't have the proper coating and from lack of a RR

Last edited by redbird555; 03-23-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:08 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

GM owns the reliability record. There have been a few z06s with 100k with in spec guides. So if that is your measure, stay stock.
The following 3 users liked this post by Unreal:
11BtoPA (07-27-2021), Bad_AX (04-28-2017), FSTFRC (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 01:14 PM
redbird555
Drifting

Originally Posted by Unreal
GM owns the reliability record. There have been a few z06s with 100k with in spec guides. So if that is your measure, stay stock.
Lol some peoples children. I guess some people are just unhappy
Old 03-23-2017, 03:53 PM
2fastz06
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by outhouse
A lot of people showed their true colors last week kicking a dog while it was down.

Then some guy post about how his heads with bronze guides only lasted 7000 miles in a 630 hp ish motor, from a crap company who obviously not only used softer guides, but put in some sand paper valves ta boot.

The highest miles reported here so far are from Khole on the m90 guides at 60,000 with no real wear present. Kohle owns the reliability record.
I see what your getting at so to the hell with it i'll link the videos myself...

first up Lingenfelter reworked heads.

2nd up Livernois motorsports. with full roller rockers.

next up IPS motorsports

and this guy heads the valve stem is cracked..

all from one porter that was on this site 7 years ago warning you guys!

And if this is from one guy, let that sink in. there are more videos but these are the ones that really stood out to me
Old 03-23-2017, 03:58 PM
redbird555
Drifting

What is your point 2 fast? I'm not quite getting it?
Old 03-23-2017, 03:58 PM
redbird555
Drifting

Bronze guides iMovies are not the answer for any street car. Lingenfelter uses stock guides as well which are known to be soft
Old 03-23-2017, 04:09 PM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
I just talked to Kohle today in prep for having him do a set of heads for me within the next 3 weeks or so. I didn't have this thread in mind nor did I take notes, so don't hold me accountable for accuracy. From what I remember, he said they'd checked valves and guides on heads after 40,000-50,000 miles- valves showed no measurable wear and the PM guides were within spec. I didn't ask for measurements. They have also checked heads with something like 60,000 miles with their Moldstar 90 guides and had no measurable wear on valves or guides. I hope that's accurate but I had an incoming call as he described that set and the audio on my phone gets cut off for a couple seconds when that happens. It's the mileage I'm not sure of but I think it's correct.

This much I'm sure of- he said the Moldstar 90s are definitely better guides, the same stuff used in F1, NASCAR, and Indy racing. He said that they are overkill for the street but if you're going to pound on your car at the track they will take the extra heat and abuse very well. That's what they're made for. Whether they're worth the extra $500 for your use is up to you.

Frankly, I haven't decided which guides I'll choose yet. I wish I'd taken notes but I figure some info is better than none. Hopefully Kohle will have time to stop in and verify what I've said.
What honestly would you expect any vendor to say, yeah, my stuff sucked at 60K? This doesn't tell me anything, especially for such a small sampling

AHP owns nothing, as I said in the other thread, there's plenty of stock headed cars surpassing 100K miles.

Until there's a few thousand units in service with 60-100k + miles, there's no definitive answer that these heads fix anything anymore than any other head.
The following users liked this post:
FSTFRC (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 04:17 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06
there's no definitive answer that these heads fix anything anymore than any other head.

Not true. BS

We don't see failure from fixed heads, and plenty of failure from heads never addressed or raced.

We are close to 10 lunched motors in the last year
Old 03-23-2017, 04:20 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 2fastz06
I see what your getting at ..

Use a credible shop so you don't get stuck with some crap heads that don't last.

Your case was the wrong valves installed with no coating or not polished.

Regardless, you make a great case against those whining harder valve guides wont help.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:41 PM
2fastz06
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Use a credible shop so you don't get stuck with some crap heads that don't last.

Your case was the wrong valves installed with no coating or not polished.

Regardless, you make a great case against those whining harder valve guides wont help.
Great well since your a better builder than AI can I send them to you?
Old 03-23-2017, 05:25 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 2fastz06
Great well since your a better builder than AI can I send them to you?

Sorry dude heads that only last 7000 miles even at 630hp ish, is still a mistake somewhere down the line.

They have a reputation for great power, not knocking the porting work.

And I don't know the full story, and since you didn't have the heads done the first time you may not know either.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:25 PM
ZIE06Bernie
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The videos are great reference.

However one thing chad says in the first video I would like to know what he means.

What heads is he referring to when he calls it a 2.1 head at 1min 49secs - ie the one with no significant wear. Where does this head come from etc.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:12 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 734 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by ZIE06Bernie
The videos are great reference.

However one thing chad says in the first video I would like to know what he means.

What heads is he referring to when he calls it a 2.1 head at 1min 49secs - ie the one with no significant wear. Where does this head come from etc.
I think he's referring to a "241" head, I think it's from an LS1.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:53 PM
ZIE06Bernie
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
I think he's referring to a "241" head, I think it's from an LS1.
Thanks mate you are right - didn't register with me first time.

Appreciate it.

cheers
Old 03-23-2017, 09:41 PM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Not true. BS

We don't see failure from fixed heads, and plenty of failure from heads never addressed or raced.

We are close to 10 lunched motors in the last year
Really how many 100k miles AHP heads are there? How many 50K mile heads, how many 20K mile heads? Theres not enough of anyones heads in use to say the issue is resolved. Hell, I have no problems, is the issue resolved? IDK so that claim cant be made and its hardly BS

Get notified of new replies

To Most miles on AHP heads?

Old 03-23-2017, 09:58 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

, is the issue resolved?

Factually Yes.

Stock engines with miles from new to old are dropping motors from valve failure when the head pops off.

Fixed engines have not dropped a valve ruining an engine to date. Suck on the fact for a bit will you

IDK

Obvious and it explains your answer.

there's plenty of stock headed cars surpassing 100K miles.

So if we improved the stock head dramatically, then the issue should be resolved by your own definition.

lets get into detail, the problem is dynamic. We are talking about stock motors in context here. Race engines is another talent and topic altogether.

#1 Factually the overall issue is out of spec guides from the factory.

#2 Soft guide material is wearing out quicker then normal due to no coating or polishing or micro hardening on the stock valve stems.

#3 it is an aggressive valve train, made worse with aftermarket cams.

early heads dropped exh valves and later motors were dropping int valves

Early heads had exh valves with uneven sides that broke.

SO if we address #1 and #2 the heads should last much longer. So stop your BS and stop the Absence of evidence fallacy.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:05 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Love ya brother

Oh and keep on rocking the Z, despite "our" BS were still brothers here trying to help the community at large.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:59 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Les
I just talked to Kohle today in prep for having him do a set of heads for me within the next 3 weeks or so. I didn't have this thread in mind nor did I take notes, so don't hold me accountable for accuracy. From what I remember, he said they'd checked valves and guides on heads after 40,000-50,000 miles- valves showed no measurable wear and the PM guides were within spec. I didn't ask for measurements. They have also checked heads with something like 60,000 miles with their Moldstar 90 guides and had no measurable wear on valves or guides. I hope that's accurate but I had an incoming call as he described that set and the audio on my phone gets cut off for a couple seconds when that happens. It's the mileage I'm not sure of but I think it's correct.

This much I'm sure of- he said the Moldstar 90s are definitely better guides, the same stuff used in F1, NASCAR, and Indy racing. He said that they are overkill for the street but if you're going to pound on your car at the track they will take the extra heat and abuse very well. That's what they're made for. Whether they're worth the extra $500 for your use is up to you.

Frankly, I haven't decided which guides I'll choose yet. I wish I'd taken notes but I figure some info is better than none. Hopefully Kohle will have time to stop in and verify what I've said.
What honestly would you expect any vendor to say, yeah, my stuff sucked at 60K? This doesn't tell me anything, especially for such a small sampling
I posted that info for those who might be interested. My sole intent was to relay some info. I wasn't attempting to prove anything or impress anybody in any way. AHP will get my business without a doubt, but I have no desire to obtain anyone's approval for that. You should absolutely believe what you want and do business where you want. It's all good to me.
The following users liked this post:
MTPZ06 (03-24-2017)

Quick Reply: [Z06] Most miles on AHP heads?