Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 02:45 PM
dperlich
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant leak

Received a message alert to check coolant the other day. Temps reached 245°F by the time I parked (and got there quickly afterI started to slow down). Reservoir was empty. Was able to get the car home. Looked under the hood some more and saw moisture coming from the water pump housing. Attached pictures show the moisture and where the majority of it is coming from. Shops won't give me an estimate on repair/replacement costs.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:01 PM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Received 649 Likes on 328 Posts

Could be the picture but it looks like your WP hose going to the rad (last pic) is just about to fall off the inlet. Id start there. Short of that, check the WP gasket and behind the pulley itself for leaks.

If the reservoir is completely empty chances are its a good sized leak. id start by filling it with water, turning the car on and see if you can see where it is coming from
Old 03-22-2017, 03:04 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBSully
Could be the picture but it looks like your WP hose going to the rad (last pic) is just about to fall off the inlet.

That's the stop, not the sealing part bud.

Its how they all are installed.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:06 PM
outhouse
Safety Car

Received 150 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by dperlich
Looked under the hood some more and saw moisture coming from the water pump housing

With the limited information posted it sounds like a water pump bearing is failing which takes out the seal. which produces leaking in the area you described.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:05 PM
MTBSully
Melting Slicks

Received 649 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by outhouse
That's the stop, not the sealing part bud.

Its how they all are installed.
All except mine when I reinstalled it lol. better go pull it back a bit
Old 03-22-2017, 06:03 PM
dperlich
Instructor

Took it to AAMCO. They're the only shop in my area with the best reviews and gave me a straight answer on a quote. Plus they offer military discounts and said they would discount the cost for me. Will be costing me about $517 - not including the discount. If I had tools, time, and a backup car, I would've done the work myself.

Last edited by dperlich; 03-22-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:05 PM
dperlich
Instructor

UPDATE: AAMCO called, said they completed the pressure test, and that it is definitely the water pump.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:36 PM
ATOMIC ORANG
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Check your paint !!!!! Inspect it good !!!
Old 03-22-2017, 07:41 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Just had a water pump done on my base C6, I bought the WP from Rock Auto and the OEM with the thermostat was a little over $200 so your cost of under $517 is not too bad IMO, probably a 10% Military discount too. Maybe have them change the belt too, they have to remove it anyway...good luck!

Last edited by RobLo; 03-22-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:17 AM
dperlich
Instructor

Well, they're using a new WP straight from GM, and that alone was quoted at $330.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:16 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Well, they're using a new WP straight from GM, and that alone was quoted at $330.
I'm guessing from GM that's about right. I had a Corvette mechanic do mine and his price from his parts Dept. was more then I paid at Rock Auto...doesn't sound like you're getting ripped off!
Old 03-23-2017, 12:12 PM
dperlich
Instructor

Best part is, the shop is staffed by veterans. So they're part of that military brotherhood, and associate me with them when they found out I was active duty. Pretty sure I'm going to be taken care of quite well here.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:42 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Best part is, the shop is staffed by veterans. So they're part of that military brotherhood, and associate me with them when they found out I was active duty. Pretty sure I'm going to be taken care of quite well here.
That's great and you deserve to be taken care of, thank you for your service! What branch? I'm 24 years Navy Active and Reserve, retired about 16 years now, USNR-R All the best with the car Shipmate, water pump leaks can be crazy. Mine was leaking forever, a small bit at a time, I could never find it. Mechanic finally found it ABOVE the water pump, the antifreeze was leaking and getting thrown up on the belt, I never looked above the WP, I was always looking underneath. Anyway, good luck, let us know how you make out!
Old 03-23-2017, 04:47 PM
dperlich
Instructor

Originally Posted by RobLo
That's great and you deserve to be taken care of, thank you for your service! What branch? I'm 24 years Navy Active and Reserve, retired about 16 years now, USNR-R All the best with the car Shipmate, water pump leaks can be crazy. Mine was leaking forever, a small bit at a time, I could never find it. Mechanic finally found it ABOVE the water pump, the antifreeze was leaking and getting thrown up on the belt, I never looked above the WP, I was always looking underneath. Anyway, good luck, let us know how you make out!
Air Force - been in for 12 years. Started as a reservist and quickly realized life was better working with the military than working with civilians. Decided to go active after a few years in. Car came back in great shape. After discount (10%) the cost was $484.

Get notified of new replies

To Coolant leak

Quick Reply: [Z06] Coolant leak