Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Simply amazed

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 12:06 PM
COvert-red
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Datrojan
At how many folks haven't caught on to shops who perform cylinder head work leading them on to believe they need new cylinder heads.

I'm sure some were bad, but geez.
What did the inspection on your new car reveal? Within tolerance?
Old 03-23-2017, 12:20 PM
lobamotive
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Why did you start a new thread about the same thing you talked about no more than 72 hours ago?

According to JerriVette, you don't have to fix your heads until 130,000 miles, and it already looks like you've become one of his disciples. Nevermind the fact that you can read three different threads this week about forum members needing a new engine because of this "non-existent" problem.

With all due respect to your poor LS7, I hope it teaches you a lesson.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:53 PM
COvert-red
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I have an LS2-powered Vert and just love it! But.... I'm still interested in the 7 liter cars, so I'm in the "enthusiast/shopper" category (cheap seats).

I've had two different techs show me (hand me) little buckets full of eccentrically worn, factory-installed guides. Objectively, and to answer this questionable thread, the only approach that I would feel good about if I was down to a serious purchase decision would be based upon an actual valve guide/ head inspection. If it was within tolerance, I would buy the car with the intension of getting the head work done before too long. IOW: add $3K to the purchase price and enjoy the car to its potential. Pay 'em $200 to see the guts; its a couple tanks of gas.

This is my perspective, only, and I'm grateful to those here for sharing both experience and opinion [based upon experience] about this issue. I was getting pretty serious about a 427 not too long ago - and even the dealership acknowledged that the engines have had valve guide issues. They countered my concerns with what was left of a factory drivetrain warranty (8 months). Then what...(?).

Use what you know, right? These cars are for fun, not worry.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:31 PM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 175 Likes on 138 Posts

Old 03-23-2017, 03:00 PM
2fastz06
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not trolling. I honestly believe that some vendors cashed in on cylinder head repairs by purposely driving fear and paranoia among Z06 owners.

Additionally, I'd like to add that I'm not here to create dissension in this forum or break forum rules. I would appreciate if you would stop making things up.
In bold the problem is very real. I pulled my reworked heads guides out of spec.

Chad my porter won't even do guide work for these heads.

I asked why and he said it took him years to build his name and one set of ls7 heads out of spec would ruin it.

This guy has showed this on video many times, The sad thing is he was banned from this site.

While people like you and post ridiculous threads like this and nothing is done.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:41 PM
Stig13
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Been doing a lot of reading in this forum over the last 18 mos getting ready to buy and looked into the issue from sources independent of the forum. **** on the electric fence hoping it's not live if you want...I'll take the cheap insurance of new heads when I buy. Thanks to everyone in this place for the knowledge, suggestions, and help you all pass along. Great community!

Old 03-24-2017, 06:06 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I purchased a warranty just in case.
Again, what warranty did you purchase? We've all warned you about the pitfalls of many aftermarket warranties.

Oh, and have you managed to take any pictures of this new car of yours? In your other thread, you said you were going to post them up a few nights ago...you do own one, right?
The following users liked this post:
REDZED2 (03-25-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 07:13 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Another local dropped a valve this week. 3 this year so far in just a small Corvette group in Phoenix area. Good thing it isn't a real issue.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:28 PM
64drvr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,867 Likes on 886 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

so you purchased a warranty because you think the valve guide problem is real.
then you chastise any business or consumer for inspecting or replacing their heads because they think the valve guide problem is real.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:31 PM
Jjagg0125
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Well tonight I pulled my valve covers and was going to do the "wiggle test " I pulled a random rocker off and didn't even put air to it and I could move the valve with the spring on.... ugh damnit. Time for a build it looks like 😝.. oh and I have 39k miles on the car.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:12 AM
yellowzron
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 333 Likes on 195 Posts

I am just curious to which aftermarket warranty you purchased? Also just a suggestion, you come across a bit arrogant and goofy. With 64 posts maybe you should try to be a bit more mellow. We are all here to talk about our cars and enjoy them.

And just for info, 3 of my close friends, one being my brother inlaw have dropped a valve. I had an 07 and checked the heads and there was a problem, so I just sold the car and bought a GS and threw a blower on it. I am happier now, and the car is a lot faster.

Chill out enjoy the car and make friends here.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:58 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

Funny how my 08 with 12k miles were toast (I believe 12 were way out of spec) and I know of 5 other guys in my city from 2007 to a 2011 Z06 Carbon that had low pampered miles and they were all terribly sloppy and way outta spec, and all had them redone. Every Z had under 30K miles. Yeah you're right, very random sample.Blown out of proportion. Nice to have newbs here that have the universe figured out! Nice grace period you were given before you became boss.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:29 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Well; with all this internet hysteria, I'm not sure who's profiting more...the machine shops, or the extended warranty companies.
NOrrTH (03-26-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 03:04 AM
guido1205us
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowzron
I had an 07 and checked the heads and there was a problem, so I just sold the car and bought a GS and threw a blower on it. I am happier now, and the car is a lot faster.
Off topic, just curious what you went with? Do you have a dry sump? Local shop install and were they pretty reasonable?

I shy'd away from a Z and went with the GS as well, and I'd like a bit more power - curious to know how that blower feels compared to Z, or even a cammed Z.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:07 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I have a few friends here locally. A couple of them have FI Grand Sports.. VERY FAST cars, On the other hand I also have some friends with the H/C/I C6Z's... Also, crazy fast.... From a dig, slow roll, the NA Z's jump out on the FI LS3 and actually run with them to a point... @ higher RPM's the FI LS3's are on top..... Both great cars in my opinion... Can't go wrong with either.
guido1205us (03-27-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 09:07 AM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by guido1205us
Off topic, just curious what you went with? Do you have a dry sump? Local shop install and were they pretty reasonable?

I shy'd away from a Z and went with the GS as well, and I'd like a bit more power - curious to know how that blower feels compared to Z, or even a cammed Z.
A blower car will need about a 100 more hp to run with a N/A car. IE 600whp N/A vs 700whp FI, the FI car will eventually come around but not in the 1/4 mile and not in a 50/60-140 and not from a dig at all.

Last edited by Millenium Z06; 03-25-2017 at 09:08 AM.
guido1205us (03-27-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 09:41 AM
yellowzron
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by guido1205us

Well TO ME, the cars are two different cars. The Z was very strong, instant throttle response. My 07 z with a cam tune intake and a BB exhaust did make 550 to the wheels. The gearing in the trans was different. That being said my 10gs has an AA blower, mild cam, fast intake, kooks headers, tune, and stock npp. The gs puts down 649 rwhp. The gs you feel the power at higher RPMs and pulls strong at top end. Low end not so much. I have a six speed and reasonable to me is, they gave me a break on labor, parts were not so cheap.

Either way, like I said, my 07 had some issues after a while, fixed the heads then still had problems after 15k miles of driving. We checked the heads again and there were problems again. I didn't want to keep going through that, so I moved on.
guido1205us (03-27-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 09:45 AM
yellowzron
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by 0H8Z06
I have a few friends here locally. A couple of them have FI Grand Sports.. VERY FAST cars, On the other hand I also have some friends with the H/C/I C6Z's... Also, crazy fast.... From a dig, slow roll, the NA Z's jump out on the FI LS3 and actually run with them to a point... @ higher RPM's the FI LS3's are on top..... Both great cars in my opinion... Can't go wrong with either.
I have two buddies with h/c/i z06s. From a dig neither can beat me in a quarter mile race, but it is mainly because they are not used to the car. It would def be a drivers race. My gearing helps me get out of the hole faster, and I am drive pretty good in my mind. If they drive well, I believe its a drivers race.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Simply amazed