Notices
C7 Corvettes for Sale Private Classifieds, Used C7 Corvettes For Sale, and Modified or Stock Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy from Forum dealer and Museum delivery

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 04:17 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Default Buy from Forum dealer and Museum delivery

I have house and live in Florida, so if i buy the car from a Forum dealer and have museum delivery, when and where do i registrate it and to which state will i pay sales tax ?

tia

Rune
Old 03-04-2015, 04:26 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,684 Likes on 2,903 Posts

You'll get a temporary license plate mailed from the ordering dealership to put on for your drive home from the museum, you'll register it and pay sales tax in your home state. The ordering dealership will mail you all the required paperwork to take to your DMV; you may be able to get this done and taken care of before even going to pickup your car from the museum, but it isn't necessary as long as you have the temporary plate.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:58 PM
Z06Norway
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
You'll get a temporary license plate mailed from the ordering dealership to put on for your drive home from the museum, you'll register it and pay sales tax in your home state. The ordering dealership will mail you all the required paperwork to take to your DMV; you may be able to get this done and taken care of before even going to pickup your car from the museum, but it isn't necessary as long as you have the temporary plate.
Thanks

Is there any time limit from when you pick up car and title/registrate it ?

reason i ask is i am Europe snowbird and there is no point in registrating and leave it for 3-4 months.... depending on delivery time
Old 03-06-2015, 10:11 AM
Flying22low
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is actually not a reason not to register it as you still have to insure it. Usually dealer tags are good for 10 or 14 days, so you could drive it home and leave it in the garage. I can't think of a reason not to register it right away.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:11 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,684 Likes on 2,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
You'll have to check with your local laws, I'm believe in Texas they charge you a penalty for not doing it within XX days. I also wouldn't want an unregistered car sitting in storage while I'm gone/out of the country. What it if gets stolen? I would have to think it would be more difficult for the authorities to track down and recover an unregistered vehicle. You may also want to check with your insurance company regarding your thoughts on letting it sit unregistered...I have no idea if there are any stipulations or clauses regarding this.

As far as I can tell, the only benefit of doing this would be delaying the registration fees and sales taxes by a few months?
Old 03-09-2015, 03:42 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,428 Likes on 775 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I live in Florida as well. I bought two C6's from Kerbeck and did museum delivery on both. They took care of everything. My NJ temp tag was sent to me prior to delivery and my Florida plate was mailed to my house. Super easy.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:28 AM
360Lemans
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Norway
Thanks

reason i ask is i am Europe snowbird and there is no point in registrating and leave it for 3-4 months.... depending on delivery time
Rune if you take museum delivery I'll be pissed if you don't stop by for a visit!! I now live in NC we could run the Tail of the Dragon on your way back to Florida just like old times (24 Hour Lemans Track).

Hopefully see you soon I will PM you with info.

Get notified of new replies

To Buy from Forum dealer and Museum delivery

Quick Reply: Buy from Forum dealer and Museum delivery