Notices
C7 Corvettes for Sale Private Classifieds, Used C7 Corvettes For Sale, and Modified or Stock Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why will some dealers not sell to a non-taxable state

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 12:21 AM
cebars
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Why will some dealers not sell to a non-taxable state

???
Old 03-08-2015, 07:28 AM
WELOVEVETTES
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by cebars
???
Makes zero sense. The dealer gains nothing by collecting sales tax.....
Old 03-13-2015, 06:30 AM
Doc750
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

because many exporters will claim to have residence in a no sales tax state to cut costs on vehicles they plan to export for resale overseas.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:09 AM
LES STANFORD CHEVY
Platinum Sponsor Since 2004

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Default We will sell to a non taxable state.

Originally Posted by cebars
???
Good Morning,

There is no reason for a dealer not to sell to a non taxable state. But let's be clear about this . Using Montana as an example, people set up dummy corporations and P.O. Boxs for addresses. That ain't gonna fly with the I.R.S. If you live i.e., have a verifiable address as to where the car will be registered, nothing stands in your way for a purchase. Those who are scamming will be rejected because we do not want the liability. Give me an address that truly exists and a proof of you residing there, we will sell you any car. Has to be legal, that's the only catch. Please let me know if you wish to discuss a purchase. Thank you.

Dennis M. Tap
Les Stanford Chevrolet
734-716-3212
dennis_tap@lesstanford.com
Old 03-14-2015, 11:55 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by LES STANFORD CHEVY
Good Morning,

There is no reason for a dealer not to sell to a non taxable state. But let's be clear about this . Using Montana as an example, people set up dummy corporations and P.O. Boxs for addresses. That ain't gonna fly with the I.R.S. If you live i.e., have a verifiable address as to where the car will be registered, nothing stands in your way for a purchase. Those who are scamming will be rejected because we do not want the liability. Give me an address that truly exists and a proof of you residing there, we will sell you any car. Has to be legal, that's the only catch. Please let me know if you wish to discuss a purchase. Thank you.

Dennis M. Tap
Les Stanford Chevrolet
734-716-3212
Good points Dennis. In my earlier early retirement I sold BMWs and MINIS for a half dozen years. There are also other factors involved in a decision to sell to an individual in another state. Ours was a large reputable dealer and we have a service that completes the registration process out of state and which advises us on the laws and requirements of each state. We could always do an out of state transaction if the deal was done for cash (usually FED wire transfer), as long as we complied with the state's tax rules (some states require the dealer to collect and remit taxes, some don't). If a deal was to be financed, it was sometimes a different story. For example some states require an emissions test or a VIN inspection on a new car before issuing a title. If a car is financed the finance company (usually make-related) needs to perfect its lien and can't do so in those states. Some states are simply to much of a pain to deal with in getting a car registered (Missouri comes to mind, requiring proof from a buyer that he or she as paid their property taxes in order to register a car.) At the end of the day, any reputable dealer will always try to get the deal done as long as it complies with both the law and the dealer's corporate policies. That's their business. --Bob
Old 03-14-2015, 06:00 PM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes I have had to explain myself when buying out of state because I am from Montana. It is cheap to own vehicles here.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:47 PM
bertschb
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I live in Oregon (strike 1) and the resort community where I live has no mail boxes at the houses (strike 2). We have to have a PO box and pick our mail up at the Post Office. My local dealer has a Z06 but wants $30K over MSRP for it (strike 3). I'm waiting until next winter when prices come down.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:18 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by bertschb
I live in Oregon (strike 1) and the resort community where I live has no mail boxes at the houses (strike 2). We have to have a PO box and pick our mail up at the Post Office. My local dealer has a Z06 but wants $30K over MSRP for it (strike 3). I'm waiting until next winter when prices come down.
Strike 4
Old 03-19-2015, 09:02 PM
bertschb
Racer

Originally Posted by jaden61
Strike 4
Well, I need to save up for it so I can pay cash so next winter is better timing for me anyway.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:39 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I think Oregon is best place to buy a new car so why the Strike stuff?
You don't like 277.00 for 4 YEAR tag? With no other FEES?

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 03-21-2015 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:32 AM
bertschb
Racer

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
I think Oregon is best place to buy a new car so why the Strike stuff?
You don't like 277.00 for 4 YEAR tag? With no other FEES?

Oh, it's a great place to buy cars with no sales tax and low registration fees. It's just that most of the large Corvette dealers won't sell to Oregon residents.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:47 PM
Oldfalguy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4 year for $277
I pay $67.50 per year for registration here in Tejas.
Yep, there is a 6.5% sales tax + other fees at time of sale but no big deal-must be used to it.
I have seen Montana much less but recently saw that insurance was a bunch more and Hawaii was shown much less, 1/3 less. Didn't make much sense to me. My full coverage is $600 but I am truly a saintly driver.................................. ....its true.................. horse hockey
Old 03-25-2015, 02:13 PM
bonnevillebill
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 14 Posts

My local dealer has a Z06 but wants $30K over MSRP for it (strike 3). I'm waiting until next winter when prices come down.
I assume that $30K is a typo? Maybe $3K (which is still a ripoff)?
Old 03-25-2015, 02:41 PM
bertschb
Racer

Originally Posted by bonnevillebill
I assume that $30K is a typo? Maybe $3K (which is still a ripoff)?
No, that was not a typo! THIRTY thousand dollars over MSRP.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:03 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

No, that was not a typo! THIRTY thousand dollars over MSRP.
I dont see that dealer selling to many corvettes from his lot . Maybe has to take what ever chev says he has to each year. Then maybe take a trade for some diff cars for it from a diff chev dealer.

Who in the hell is crazy enough to pay 30,k over MSRP.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:42 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Oh, it's a great place to buy cars with no sales tax and low registration fees. It's just that most of the large Corvette dealers won't sell to Oregon residents.
What dealers have refused to sell Oregon residents a Corvette if the Oregon resident can show proof of a Oregon drivers license as well as a couple of utility bills with their address on the bills?
Old 03-26-2015, 11:45 AM
bertschb
Racer

Originally Posted by snowwolfe
What dealers have refused to sell Oregon residents a Corvette if the Oregon resident can show proof of a Oregon drivers license as well as a couple of utility bills with their address on the bills?
Kerbeck for one. I've sent them two emails over the last year asking about selling to Oregon residents and they never even bothered to reply.

Last edited by bertschb; 03-27-2015 at 04:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Why will some dealers not sell to a non-taxable state

Old 03-27-2015, 03:11 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

Good Morning,

Dennis M. Tap
Les Stanford Chevrolet
734-716-3212

A car can be owned by an LLC; not one thing illegal about it, and sales tax is NOT federal (IRS) in any event. Sales tax is purely a state matter. Now, putting tags on a car from a state other than where it is titled may upset some states, but again that has nothing to do with a dealer, in any event. A car can be sold without tags--it just cannot be driven without tags. A car cannot be sold on a CO, it must be titled by the dealer, but after the dealer collects the money and sends the title paperwork to the correct state, it is done....

Last edited by quick04Z06; 03-27-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:30 PM
TNMark
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please define a DUMMY CORPORATION? Is that something done without registering it with the state? Or wait, you don't have any legal background (I went to law school) and you don't have a clue what you are talking about.... Thats OK I know more about selling cars than most salesmen anyways.

You set up a corporation legally and it can own property. It can be in MT or any other state. MT is a favorite for motorhome registration for years. BTW.... IRS doesn't care as long as you pay all your Federal Income Taxes. States may care, but big deal, I get pulled over and say that the car belongs to a Montana Corporation. I could say it belongs to my brother or children (depending on the name on the registration).

There is nothing wrong with doing that at all.

As far as PO Boxes are concerned, I've had one virtually all my life. Mail goes there, it saves the failing US Postal Service money and I pay them to not deliver to my house. My house is in the country and I don't have to worry about problems with mail theft or mail delivery. Its legit.

WHY? Honestly I don't want people to know my business, where I live or what I own. So some clown gets my license plate in a road rage situation (or wants to track down the "house full of treasure" which must exist if you have a $90k ZO6)... They check the plate and it comes back to a corporation with a PO Box... I'm not going to find them at my house when I get home late at night.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:27 PM
ZishanM
Pro

Received 276 Likes on 120 Posts

Good Morning,

Dennis M. Tap
Les Stanford Chevrolet
734-716-3212
Why would the IRS care about state sales tax? Typical uninformed banter from the dealership.

Quick Reply: Why will some dealers not sell to a non-taxable state