Notices
C7 Corvettes for Sale Private Classifieds, Used C7 Corvettes For Sale, and Modified or Stock Corvettes
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Take over lease: 2016 Z51 2LT with all options - Under 1,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 12:09 AM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by buddhistjedi
Exactly. I guess I'm not sure if others really "don't get the math" or just "don't like leasing." That being said, if someone has another C7 lease it would be great to see how these compare to help anyone who actually does like the idea of a lease, but simply wants to know how this lease holds up to others.
I was quoted similar numbers with a similar price on a lease last week, with a few exceptions. $1,800 down, $1,250+ per month, low residual. I went to the credit union and got financing that made a lot more sense. Biggest difference was, after making all the payments I get to keep it.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:49 AM
Mecinoid
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

There are a lot of things to consider here. Tax is included in lease payment not in residual value.

Someone has to basically buy this out or go to the dealer and have them buy it out and release it or car can not be insured in drivers name.

With that in mind you are looking at roughly:

$1,032.74: Base scheduled payment
+ 90.36: Estimated tax

Or

1123.10 x months left on lease (32) + res and the tax and reg in your state.

For me is my part of California:

35935.20 payments
45917.75 residual
3673.42 tax on residual
453 Registration
350 lease fees generally

Total approx based on 8% tax and California Registration =$86329.37

To buy same car new without your discount:

72,582.80 Car Price before discount
5806.62 Tax
453.00 Reg
350.00 Dealership prep and doc fees (bare min)

So $86.3K vs 79.1K is going to be a hard sell. Hate to say it but, you are upside/down and will need to come up with cash difference or take it with you. I recommend the latter for a couple of years so you do not need to come up with the difference and can enjoy the car.

Yes, it may cost you another $3-5K to ship it... but, you might as well get your money's worth out of enjoyment. I have been there and I feel for you.

Unfortunately, when you leave the showroom floor you lose about 10K on these cars.

It is a beautiful car.... Maybe the lease swapping company can help you finance the difference or you can find someone that is willing to pay to get exactly what you have.

I did to get my LRG Vette. I had to have the color so the $'s were secondary to me.

Best of luck
Old 01-15-2016, 03:19 AM
Mecinoid
Racer

BTW - I love leases ... The best way to get a lease is on what they call national lease programs.

I have leased a couple of Volts this way and it has worked out great. The trick is to add all the monthly payments together and the residual. If that number equals less than the MSRP you are doing well. If it is like $7K less then you have a real deal....

Example: O down $212 a month for 36 / residual $27,300 = $34, 932 for a Volt with a retal of $42,400... Plus in that case rebates of $1500 from State of California. Or $25,800 for a $42,400 MSRP Volt.

The kicker is I save about $200(edited) a month in gas and if I had not liked it I could just turn it back in at the end of 36 months. But, I did not... I released at 30 months for another 36at $240 a month a new and improved Volt (0 down again) and residual will be $17,200 at the end of the lease.. plus I got another $1500 rebate from the State. which makes that effectively $15,800 residual.

There is a lot more to the formulas ... However, I basically get to drive the Volt with my gas savings for six years for free (except insurance) and can buy a three year old Volt with 36K on it for $15,800 at the end of this lease....... Or do it again on a 2018 Volt.

On a Volt lease works really well using the national lease program as they come up.

On another car it can work as long as the payments and residual do not exceed the MSRP in my opinion.

Forgive my grammar... During my time off... I just write well enough to convey my ideas.

The Volt is my Avatar is my 2015 lease. Picked it up in May just as happy with it as my first Volt. Beats the heck out of my old 2012 Prius (leased also)

Last edited by Mecinoid; 01-17-2016 at 06:07 PM. Reason: shift key missed
Old 01-15-2016, 07:21 AM
KT.VETTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mecinoid
BTW - I love leases ... The best way to get a lease is on what they call national lease programs.

I have leased a couple of Volts this way and it has worked out great. The trick is to add all the monthly payments together and the residual. If that number equals less than the MSRP you are doing well. If it is like $7K less then you have a real deal....

Example: O down $212 a month for 36 / residual $27,300 = $34, 932 for a Volt with a retal of $42,400... Plus in that case rebates of $1500 from State of California. Or $25,800 for a $42,400 MSRP Volt.

The kicker is I save about 4200 a month in gas and if I had not liked it I could just turn it back in at the end of 36 months. But, I did not... I released at 30 months for another 36at $240 a month a new and improved Volt (0 down again) and residual will be $17,200 at the end of the lease.. plus I got another $1500 rebate from the State. which makes that effectively $15,800 residual.

There is a lot more to the formulas ... However, I basically get to drive the Volt with my gas savings for six years for free (except insurance) and can buy a three year old Volt with 36K on it for $15,800 at the end of this lease....... Or do it again on a 2018 Volt.

On a Volt lease works really well using the national lease program as they come up.

On another car it can work as long as the payments and residual do not exceed the MSRP in my opinion.

Forgive my grammar... During my time off... I just write well enough to convey my ideas.

The Volt is my Avatar is my 2015 lease. Picked it up in May just as happy with it as my first Volt. Beats the heck out of my old 2012 Prius (leased also)
How many miles do you drive per month?

Last edited by KT.VETTE; 01-15-2016 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:06 PM
Mecinoid
Racer

Originally Posted by KT.VETTE
How many miles do you drive per month?
That is 4=$ or $200 a month in gas..... I guess I didn't get the shift key down... Sorry about that....

Old 01-18-2016, 03:26 AM
buddhistjedi
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mecinoid
There are a lot of things to consider here. Tax is included in lease payment not in residual value.

Someone has to basically buy this out or go to the dealer and have them buy it out and release it or car can not be insured in drivers name.

With that in mind you are looking at roughly:

$1,032.74: Base scheduled payment
+ 90.36: Estimated tax

Or

1123.10 x months left on lease (32) + res and the tax and reg in your state.

For me is my part of California:

35935.20 payments
45917.75 residual
3673.42 tax on residual
453 Registration
350 lease fees generally

Total approx based on 8% tax and California Registration =$86329.37

To buy same car new without your discount:

72,582.80 Car Price before discount
5806.62 Tax
453.00 Reg
350.00 Dealership prep and doc fees (bare min)

So $86.3K vs 79.1K is going to be a hard sell. Hate to say it but, you are upside/down and will need to come up with cash difference or take it with you. I recommend the latter for a couple of years so you do not need to come up with the difference and can enjoy the car.

Yes, it may cost you another $3-5K to ship it... but, you might as well get your money's worth out of enjoyment. I have been there and I feel for you.

Unfortunately, when you leave the showroom floor you lose about 10K on these cars.

It is a beautiful car.... Maybe the lease swapping company can help you finance the difference or you can find someone that is willing to pay to get exactly what you have.

I did to get my LRG Vette. I had to have the color so the $'s were secondary to me.

Best of luck
I'm not sure I understand and it appears you are mixing lease and For Sale math. If any non-GM employee walked into a dealership, they could not get a better lease than the one I am offering. Yes they would get a car with 0 miles, but they would also pay the $5k down and have a slightly longer lease (36 months vs 32 months).

That being said, I'm actually already moving forward with a local buyer. The process was pretty straightforward and Ally (the leasing company) has already approved them for the transfer.

Thank you all for your input and help as I prepare for the big move!
Old 01-21-2016, 12:49 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

You know you can sell a leased vehicle right?
you call get the payoff and then see if you can sell if for the payoff. Works the same as a financed car. I have sold/traded in leased vehicles before.
If I were you I'd get the payoff and see what similar Vettes are selling for and see which is the best way to go.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:43 PM
KT.VETTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
You know you can sell a leased vehicle right?
you call get the payoff and then see if you can sell if for the payoff. Works the same as a financed car. I have sold/traded in leased vehicles before.
If I were you I'd get the payoff and see what similar Vettes are selling for and see which is the best way to go.
I don't think that will work on this deal.

Quick Reply: Take over lease: 2016 Z51 2LT with all options - Under 1,000 miles