C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A&A kit + IAT breakout kit: Where to install???

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 08:23 AM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 319 Posts

Default A&A kit + IAT breakout kit: Where to install???

So as one of the first to get blown in my C7 here in the NorCal lol I to found out I would suffer the "service soon" repeatedly after my tune because of the single bar map sensor. Recently I ordered a breakout kit and my tuner has agree to modify my tune once it is installed. My question is this. With the breakout harness does the new 3 bar sensor simply replace my OEM sensor in the same location? If I replace now before the retune will I throw anything off? Going to do a little more research on this but figured I would ping the team here for some more knowledge on the topic. In the end I can't wait to get rid of the constant chiming and notifications to "service soon" I get.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:51 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

You can't change the sensor without changing the settings in the tune. It's easy to change at least

Last edited by schpenxel; 01-02-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:37 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

The current sensor would need to be replaced with an LS9 sensor and it will need to be adjusted in the tune. As for the IAT breakout, I have a good bit of info in my "How to" thread on installing Akly Control towards the bottom of guide..
Old 01-02-2017, 11:34 PM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 192 Posts

I assume you're using the IAT/Baro breakout kit?

I installed the IAT sensor behind the throttle body at home, but then I did I did the map sensor swap and finished installing the harness while while at the tuner's, just a deep socket to get to the MAP sensor to swap it for the 3-bar, and then a couple of zip ties to hold up the harness that now has your old 1-bar.

Last edited by joemosfet; 01-02-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:58 AM
FlatPlaneCrankDreams
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Teddy, it's Martin. This is what I was curious about when I was looing at your engine bay. I was looking for the IAT sensor break out but didn't see it. It is my understanding that in order for the ecm to register the cooler IAT due to meth, that a breakout kit was required.

I'm almost certain that it is how everyone does it. Idk why your tuner didn't have you do it before tuning.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:41 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 319 Posts

Yes sir. I knew exactly what you were talking about. Initially I just ordered the LS9 3 bar but came across a hell of a deal on the whole kit so I jumped on it. When I had Synergy tune the car I have a feeling they were not up to speed on the IAT requirements. Rick did tell me to just bring it back and he would take care of it which is awesome. I think I am going to do as Joe did. Install the IAT at home and when I get to the shop swap the sensors.

Joe- Post up a quick picture of your location. I want it to be subtle like my meth nozzle. Ask Martin about that. He didn't even know I had meth until I mentioned it. LOL

Originally Posted by mesparza
Hey Teddy, it's Martin. This is what I was curious about when I was looing at your engine bay. I was looking for the IAT sensor break out but didn't see it. It is my understanding that in order for the ecm to register the cooler IAT due to meth, that a breakout kit was required.

I'm almost certain that it is how everyone does it. Idk why your tuner didn't have you do it before tuning.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:40 PM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 192 Posts

Attachment 48359981

I used a LS1 IAT sensor, made of plastic, and a rubber press-in grommet in my intake manifold.

Grommet #42330 by Dorman from autozone (3/4" hole drill)
LS1 IAT sensor #WT36036P

I used the LS1 IAT sensor instead of the metal LS9 IAT sensor for two reasons: one, my welding skills look like Ray Charles did it, and I didn't want to have to re-powdercoat my intake tube; and two with the IAT sensor further away from the methanol nozzle, there is a bit more time for air + meth to mix and atomize so the IAT could possibly see a tad more stable temp.

Get notified of new replies

To A&A kit + IAT breakout kit: Where to install???

Quick Reply: A&A kit + IAT breakout kit: Where to install???