C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stepping it up....even more, on the stock bottom end-lets talk

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 05:06 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Hence the need for this thread.. I'm hoping we can get some factual data in here to confirm the pistons at over 800 wheel will be fine with the right supporting setup without pushing the timing to the point of no return lol
I remember c6switchblade made about 800 with just a blower, headers, and meth. That was with the novi2200SL blower though. 18-20 psi.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:16 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by robert miller
If the unit works 100% then the piston's as you know will be the weak point. I still say at that level Ant that if something goes wrong at all you will have a broken piston & ring out of # 7 are 5 hole.

But with that said have seen a number of c5 running 800 plus to 900 RWHP for some time on the stock bottom end.

But also if you do go with better pistons are pull the heads I would also down in some ARP head STUDS. A little more money but well worth it in that HP range..
This is what I am talking about. I feel that statement may be inaccurate about the pistons at this point. I know we have seen this in the past but most of the blown motors are due to a less than perfect tune running way too much timing. Boost doesn't break piston rings and ring lands, excessive timing does. Too much power would bend the rods, not break off ring lands..

Originally Posted by old motorhead
I'd do more sleuth work to try and figure out why your trap speeds are so low for the amount of power you're making. With good tires, you should be solidly in the 10's too. That would seem to me to be the prudent thing to do before throwing more boost at it. Seems to me like your trap speeds are a solid at 8+mph low for the power you're making.
Yes that continually bothers me but if its not a tune issue and there are no boost leaks or meth issues then what else could it be. These motors are notorious for having out of round cylinders from the factory. Its quite possible that I got one of the motors that not "as good" as others. I did not get a before mods run on the dyno unfortunately. Either way, if something is mechanically wrong with it, it'll blow and I will rebuild it. Another theory is the the dyno may not have been set for the right smoothing level..
Old 01-03-2017, 05:17 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by C7&7
I remember c6switchblade made about 800 with just a blower, headers, and meth. That was with the novi2200SL blower though. 18-20 psi.
I remember that also, but that setup was short lived wasn't it? Didn't he put it back to stock and sell the car?
Old 01-03-2017, 05:27 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

I remember that also, but that setup was short lived wasn't it? Didn't he put it back to stock and sell the car?
Old 01-03-2017, 05:45 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Robnelson54
I have the same question as you. Im running a similar set up as you, I have the Texas speed headers 1 7/8, ported throttle body, AA T series blower and single meth.
Im putting out 655 to the wheel and 610 tq on 7psi on auto trans.
Im looking at doing the second meth and a cam soon to try to get up to the 800whp mark, but I have the same concerns about the bottom end holding up..

What size drag radials are you running? That is the next thing I need to get, Im still on stock tires and all I do is spin.
Will have the TI unit set up from Andy by the end of next week. LT headers here, back cats off the car, 3 inch mid pipe, with Borla ATKA, ported T.B. & intake also. But I have a 3.6 pulley coming with my kit. Doing the Meth and single nozzle going to be calling this set up a day until it goes bad. Hope to be at around 650 RWHP and over 600 to 625 rwtq.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:17 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

Yes that continually bothers me but if its not a tune issue and there are no boost leaks or meth issues then what else could it be. These motors are notorious for having out of round cylinders from the factory. Its quite possible that I got one of the motors that not "as good" as others. I did not get a before mods run on the dyno unfortunately. Either way, if something is mechanically wrong with it, it'll blow and I will rebuild it. Another theory is the the dyno may not have been set for the right smoothing level..
Isn't that a lot of meth to be spraying on a fairly mild setup. Pig rich is probably safe, but will kill power.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:35 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by old motorhead
Isn't that a lot of meth to be spraying on a fairly mild setup. Pig rich is probably safe, but will kill power.
it sure is, however the problem I was having with my tune ended up being that I need to crank the meth up even more than I had it due to the fuel being starved lower than it needed to be (in the tune). Once I get the Z06 fuel system in I am thinking I won't use as much meth anymore..

Last edited by FYREANT; 01-03-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:25 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

it sure is, however the problem I was having with my tune ended up being that I need to crank the meth up even more than I had it due to the fuel being starved lower than it needed to be (in the tune). Once I get the Z06 fuel system in I am thinking I won't use as much meth anymore..
Having adequate fuel and less reliance on meth will sure simplify things. Gotta wonder why it made good power on the dyno, but for some reason didn't at the strip.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:20 AM
Robnelson54
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With the TI unit I had no fuel issues at all, the only issues I had was heat when trying to use the 3.6 pulley and higher boost
Old 01-04-2017, 08:52 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Robnelson54
With the TI unit I had no fuel issues at all, the only issues I had was heat when trying to use the 3.6 pulley and higher boost
what kind of heat issues?
Old 01-04-2017, 09:01 AM
Robnelson54
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not sure, Im by no means mechanically inclined. My tuner just mentioned that it was getting too hot and if I wanted to run higher boost or the pulley that I needed to do a cam and or second meth nozzle.
with that said I did tell him that I wanted this set up on the safe side, as the car is only 2 months old and doesnt even have 3k miles on it yet. so maybe that had something to do with his decision.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:43 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
Sounds good man but don't know much about these stock clutch's in these car's but don't see it to last that long are holding up to 800 RWHP on a mustang dyno.
I'm am still on my stock clutch, although I do not have a lot of track time on mine. Have a revised Mantic Triple sitting in my garage waiting to go in though. The stock clutch is pretty stout.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:55 AM
KostaT26
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I drop my car off in 2 weeks for heads/cam/e85/pulley change/ dual nozzle meth. My tuner claims it will hold up no problem at 800+rwhp
Old 01-04-2017, 05:39 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by KostaT26
I drop my car off in 2 weeks for heads/cam/e85/pulley change/ dual nozzle meth. My tuner claims it will hold up no problem at 800+rwhp
I am sure it will hold up for X amount of time but will put money on it, it will go if you push it hard for very long at all.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:13 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Motohead279
I'm am still on my stock clutch, although I do not have a lot of track time on mine. Have a revised Mantic Triple sitting in my garage waiting to go in though. The stock clutch is pretty stout.
Hey Brian, how's she been running?

Originally Posted by KostaT26
Which tuner? Formato?
Old 01-06-2017, 08:14 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Ti trim will be fine for 800 especially on e85. With the right fuel and tune these cars live fine. I've been beating on mine for years and it keeps taking it.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:27 PM
Silverboost
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Ti trim will be fine for 800 especially on e85. With the right fuel and tune these cars live fine. I've been beating on mine for years and it keeps taking it.
I am twisting the crap out of my Ti and 800 rwhp is where it topped out, right at 16 psi. I'm not sure it is capable of much more if it was on a stock bottom end with no cam. My setup is 2" Arh, single nozzle meth, small cam and 10:5:1 forged pistons.

Get notified of new replies

To Stepping it up....even more, on the stock bottom end-lets talk

Old 01-07-2017, 12:29 AM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverboost
I am twisting the crap out of my Ti and 800 rwhp is where it topped out, right at 16 psi. I'm not sure it is capable of much more if it was on a stock bottom end with no cam. My setup is 2" Arh, single nozzle meth, small cam and 10:5:1 forged pistons.
What fuel? I've seen the normal t trim make over 800 and the ti was upgraded.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:30 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Silverboost
Your topping out likely due to single meth and lower compression. I'm running dual meth already and will be keeping stock compression of 11.5:1.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:28 PM
Silverboost
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Your topping out likely due to single meth and lower compression. I'm running dual meth already and will be keeping stock compression of 11.5:1.
I agree. With my 93 octane setup I probably could get 850 ish with a dual nozzle and a little more aggressive tune. My tuner is a little conservative. My point is without a cam on a stock short block 800 is going to be tough.

Quick Reply: Stepping it up....even more, on the stock bottom end-lets talk