C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A&A SC installed, but a problem."

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 09:34 PM
jasonyyu
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A&A SC installed, but a problem."

Over the weekend, I got my car back with the brand new AA v3 si kit beautifully installed. On the dyno, the car made about 550rwhp. The car really feels different now and I love it.

But, there seems to be a problem (in fact, not really sure). The cooling fan starts to run at full speed after 3 mins. from cold star in the morning. I was told of the problem by the valet, the first day I brought it back to my home, that I had brought back a 747. The coolant temp. is at 220 and I live in LA. The weather has been in mid 80s during the day. I don't beat on the car and I live about 5 min drive from the campus.

im not really sure if this is normal. If this is a problem, plz advise me as I would love to get it fixed.

Old 01-31-2017, 02:05 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

In on the tune more than not it was done on that end to turn them on full when the car hits a lower temp now. Robert
Old 01-31-2017, 02:17 PM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 192 Posts

Check the MAF connector housing, especially if you're using a barometer break out kit. Make sure the pins are all there and none have been pushed out.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:31 PM
jasonyyu
Advanced

Originally Posted by robert miller
In on the tune more than not it was done on that end to turn them on full when the car hits a lower temp now. Robert
Hi Robert, thank you for your response.

I was told by the tuner, earlier this morning, that he had indeed set the temperature to go on after reaching a certain temp. (After 185 to be exact).

but, the car reaches that temperature literally 2-3 mins after cold star in the morning. I think that is too quick.

Im just worried about when summer kicks in or I get on a long road trip with this car in a canyon.

jason
Old 01-31-2017, 04:35 PM
jasonyyu
Advanced

Originally Posted by joemosfet
Check the MAF connector housing, especially if you're using a barometer break out kit. Make sure the pins are all there and none have been pushed out.
thank you for your response sir.

i am new to this. How do I find out if I'm using a barometer break out kit?
Old 01-31-2017, 04:47 PM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

The big silver tube coming out of the top center of the engine, "charge tube" will have a an electric connector on it. This connector connects to the MAF and barometer and iat sensor inside that tube.

Some supercharger kits have this connector farther away than stock and require an extension, and some other folks will use a barometer/iat break out extension to remove the barometer or IAT sensor and put them elsewhere.

Some folks have reported strange fan behavior when this connector is unplugged or one or two of the pins inside the connector are bent or have slipped out. It's an easy enough thing to check, unplug it and eyeball it to make sure all the pins are the same length and not damaged or missing.

Here, but not really visible in this pic:

Last edited by joemosfet; 01-31-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:24 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by joemosfet
The big silver tube coming out of the top center of the engine, "charge tube" will have a an electric connector on it. This connector connects to the MAF and barometer and iat sensor inside that tube.

Some supercharger kits have this connector farther away than stock and require an extension, and some other folks will use a barometer/iat break out extension to remove the barometer or IAT sensor and put them elsewhere.

Some folks have reported strange fan behavior when this connector is unplugged or one or two of the pins inside the connector are bent or have slipped out. It's an easy enough thing to check, unplug it and eyeball it to make sure all the pins are the same length and not damaged or missing.

Here, but not really visible in this pic:
on this now after reading on it I never ran across this problem in the c5 set up. But if your car is truly hitting those temp that fast and is staying at those and higher something is wrong.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:29 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jasonyyu
Hi Robert, thank you for your response.

I was told by the tuner, earlier this morning, that he had indeed set the temperature to go on after reaching a certain temp. (After 185 to be exact).

but, the car reaches that temperature literally 2-3 mins after cold star in the morning. I think that is too quick.

Im just worried about when summer kicks in or I get on a long road trip with this car in a canyon.

jason

Like the other guy is saying here did you buy a brake out sensor for the set up. Look at what he is telling you to look at here but I really don't know much about that part on what he is saying that has happen with others. But did see from one other guy in here the same thing did happen also so that lets hope that is all it is. Robert
Old 01-31-2017, 06:26 PM
dovervold
Melting Slicks

Received 232 Likes on 170 Posts

Not supercharged yet, but when I did headers and intake I added a 170 degree thermostat. My car always ran 202-210 degrees. Now runs in the mid 180's. The stupid engine temp guage always reads 220 and is incorrect. If you select "Touring" mode it will give you the correct temperate...
Old 01-31-2017, 08:09 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dovervold
Not supercharged yet, but when I did headers and intake I added a 170 degree thermostat. My car always ran 202-210 degrees. Now runs in the mid 180's. The stupid engine temp guage always reads 220 and is incorrect. If you select "Touring" mode it will give you the correct temperate...
Crazy GM can do relly good on stuff in the past then on every one I have seen reads like that. Good point here.. Robert
Old 01-31-2017, 08:18 PM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

My guess it's a maf pin slip issue. Take a silver maker run it across your maf wires unplug the sensor and see if all pins are the same length. Chances are 1 & 3 are shorter . Pull gently on pins with needle nose pliers to even out and see if you can reconnect without them moving. You will see it with mark you made with the silver marker. I fought this problem when I did my install and finally removed the harness casing when I did a baro/ iat breakout . Tapped it all up and no more issues.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:50 PM
ChiefP
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

I just got back from a road trip in my A&A car. My average temp is 205 and the fan runs constantly. Good timing on this post as I was going to look into this. I'm curious what will happen when summer temps hit 110 as well.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:24 PM
Mike Jesse
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 195 Posts

Why is the fresh air vent missing from the rear of the radiator?
I would think it helps cool the under hood temps.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:01 PM
jasonyyu
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike Jesse
hi mike, do you have a pic of your setup? What's the air vent look like?
Old 02-01-2017, 04:07 PM
jasonyyu
Advanced

Originally Posted by ChiefP
I just got back from a road trip in my A&A car. My average temp is 205 and the fan runs constantly. Good timing on this post as I was going to look into this. I'm curious what will happen when summer temps hit 110 as well.
hi chief, mine is always at 220. I drive about 3miles a day.
The following users liked this post:
ChiefP (02-02-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 04:10 PM
jasonyyu
Advanced

Originally Posted by chefcg1
My guess it's a maf pin slip issue. Take a silver maker run it across your maf wires unplug the sensor and see if all pins are the same length. Chances are 1 & 3 are shorter . Pull gently on pins with needle nose pliers to even out and see if you can reconnect without them moving. You will see it with mark you made with the silver marker. I fought this problem when I did my install and finally removed the harness casing when I did a baro/ iat breakout . Tapped it all up and no more issues.
thank you sir. I will bring your and other suggestions provided above to the tuner on sat. Just too much info for me.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:41 PM
Mike Jesse
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 195 Posts

This is a pic of the vent.
Yours is not installed.
Certainly couldn't hurt to reinstall it.

https://www.aacorvette.com/performan...pliance_sm.jpg

Last edited by Mike Jesse; 02-01-2017 at 04:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To A&A SC installed, but a problem."

Old 02-02-2017, 12:31 AM
LSX Camaro
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Finally, an intelligent response. I was about to lose my mind reading all that other BS.
The following users liked this post:
BrunoTheMellow (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 12:34 AM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

Who did your install? Did they forget to put parts back on? If they're that disorganized they somehow forget a rather large piece, I'd be worried about missing fasteners all over the place. Plus, that engine cover is filthy, how'd that happen?
Old 02-02-2017, 09:16 AM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

uh... I am pretty sure that's mostly for lift reduction. It is sealed to the radiator so it doesn't interact with heat under the hood at all. If anything, it keeps about 1/3 of the cool air passing through the radiator from making it to the engine.

Edit: nevermind, I don't know what my brain was on about.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 02-02-2017 at 08:45 PM.

Quick Reply: A&A SC installed, but a problem."