C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy fix cost me $1,500+ learning opportunity

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 03:02 PM
ChiefP
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Easy fix cost me $1,500+ learning opportunity

I have an A&A kit with meth, installed by Joe and his team at CPR. I had posted a few weeks back that is was running like crap, after a dealer visit for the air bag recall, and everyone thought the dealer had gotten lazy and flashed the entire car, including my tune.

Car ran fine at low RPM/light throttle, but when you went into boost, even slightly, it felt like it was dropping cylinders, jerked and essentially ran like ***.

I bought HP tuners, did some data logs that looked "fine" and even took it to a speed shop here in Vegas who found nothing. I eventually rented a trailer and took it back to Joe (it's only got 50 miles on it since the build, but Joe drove it to Vegas and it was FINE). The wife (who was NOT happy) and I got a hotel and tried to make a nice trip out of it.

Well, didn't take them long to discover not one, but 2 plug wires were loose??!! WTF! There were NO CODES or engine light; they put a temp gun on the exhaust tubes.

I'm told this just doesn't happen; plug wires don't come loose. They were making enough connection to run ok under minimal load/pressure, but once you stepped on it, it was a different story. perhaps because I wasn't stupid enough to beat on it when it was hurt was why I never got a code/engine light.

I gave the dealer a lot of grief that day as they didn't do other things that were asked and made me wait 6 hours, when I had an appt. Which reminds me; after A LOT of arguing, they agreed to swap out my brake pads as it's squealing like a pig with 6K on it. They said they did...but it's still squealing...how can I tell if they swapped pads? Anyway, I find it almost impossible to believe the dealer did this, but it ran fine on the way there and like *** on the way home.

Anyway, I thought I'd share this as I've not seen this happen to anyone else.

Last edited by ChiefP; 02-01-2017 at 03:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
usmc Z (02-06-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 07:05 PM
joemosfet
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 192 Posts

Yeah, plug wires don't come loose, but what was the dealer doing with the plug wires when you had the airbag recall?

My brakes were whining, so I figured they were down to the wear bars. They were not. Swapped them out for some low-dust pads and now they only squeak right out of the garage.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:32 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default tt

I would say they had to do the plug wires from what you are saying. But also really didn't know it wasn't hook back on really good.

Just so you know this more than a few guys in here has ran into a plug wire not being really on the plug 100% But don't see why it didn't give you a check engine light UNLESS your tuner has turn something off in the tune. Again these plug wires are a bitc* to get on fully.

Now on the brake pads just go in here and get you a set of pads with low dust. Then pull what you have on the car out if not new I would go back to that dealer and then give a call to GM and talk to someone about this. But first ask them for a work order showing the new pads was done.

Some is wrong with both of your guys car I just put on my car 3 weeks ago new low dust pads and also stainless lines. I used the grease to put on the back of the pads I never has no squeak from my brakes before are after in any way.

Last edited by robert miller; 02-01-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:19 AM
ChiefP
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

There's a GM service bulletin out on the Z51 squeaky brakes. My car has 6K on the clock and they SCREAM when coming to a slow stop. The dealer wanted to tell me it was their option to change them as it wasn't a recall. I said, "Don't you morons hear that?" They said, OK *******, why don't you sit there for 6+ hours while we don't change the pads and tell you we did and loosen a couple plug wires for ya, free of charge!" OK, so maybe they didn't actually say that.

I didn't know the plug wires were such a pain, but makes no sense they would be good for dyno pulls and 400 miles (including the trip from the shop to Vegas), then not one but 2 come loose simultaneously?
Old 02-06-2017, 06:03 AM
usmc Z
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, I have a very similar issue. Car tuned by Clint @ AIR and ran great (I haven't even contacted him yet) but I took the car in for the airbag recall thing and to get some broken interior piece replaced. After I got it back it took about 10 minutes but now runs like crap and appears to be very rich (given by how much soot is in the exhaust tips after ~6 miles driving). I'll go check the spark plug wires and see if I somehow have the same silly issue. I just assumed they flashed the entire car for the airbag thing and that I would have to get it back to the tuner to be fixed.

Thanks for making this post.

Get notified of new replies

To Easy fix cost me $1,500+ learning opportunity

Quick Reply: Easy fix cost me $1,500+ learning opportunity