C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom tune, Tuners and Dealer flashes

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 11:44 PM
Dakynz
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Custom tune, Tuners and Dealer flashes

Couple of questions that I'm not familiar with so posting up for clarity.

1. If you receive a custom tune (for a procharger p1sc) following a dyno run and tune from a shop, if you take the car into a dealer later for recall work, when they flash the ECM will it erase the custom tune?

2. If the above custom tune does get erased, what method do you go about reloading the custom tune if it was performed by a shop that is not close by?

3. Is it possible to load a custom tune onto a handheld tuner, like a diablo, to protect if a dealer ever does flash the ecm after recall work? Or can a shop that has performed a custom tune send the file somehow so you can load?

Curious as car is in the shop now and reading the forum about members having custom's tune's done and dealer's flashing over them. Don't want to have to take the car +6 hours back to the original shop for tuning. How do you guys go about protecting the investment?
Old 02-12-2017, 08:21 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Dakynz
Couple of questions that I'm not familiar with so posting up for clarity.

1. If you receive a custom tune (for a procharger p1sc) following a dyno run and tune from a shop, if you take the car into a dealer later for recall work, when they flash the ECM will it erase the custom tune?

2. If the above custom tune does get erased, what method do you go about reloading the custom tune if it was performed by a shop that is not close by?

3. Is it possible to load a custom tune onto a handheld tuner, like a diablo, to protect if a dealer ever does flash the ecm after recall work? Or can a shop that has performed a custom tune send the file somehow so you can load?

Curious as car is in the shop now and reading the forum about members having custom's tune's done and dealer's flashing over them. Don't want to have to take the car +6 hours back to the original shop for tuning. How do you guys go about protecting the investment?
1. This depends on what they are fixing. Usually no, they don't just arbitrarily start updating your ECM. When I take the car in, I specify "DO NOT UPDATE COMPUTER" and make sure they write it on the RO.

2. Depends what type of tune you had. If Diablosport, you could simply return the car to stock before bringing it in with their handheld tuner and then retune when you leave. If you were tuned with either HP Tuners or EFI Live, then it has to be loaded back on there by someone with their tuner and laptop software. You would either need to buy the tuner kit, or drive to someone that has it. Even then, there is a license cost for a new person to load a tune to your car.

3. Only if the tune is a Diablo tune. You cannot use a Diablosport to load a tune done with HP tuners. Yes, the shop should be able to send you the custome tune file and they will if they are a respectable shop, but again you have to have a way to load it.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:52 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
1. This depends on what they are fixing. Usually no, they don't just arbitrarily start updating your ECM. When I take the car in, I specify "DO NOT UPDATE COMPUTER" and make sure they write it on the RO.

2. Depends what type of tune you had. If Diablosport, you could simply return the car to stock before bringing it in with their handheld tuner and then retune when you leave. If you were tuned with either HP Tuners or EFI Live, then it has to be loaded back on there by someone with their tuner and laptop software. You would either need to buy the tuner kit, or drive to someone that has it. Even then, there is a license cost for a new person to load a tune to your car.

3. Only if the tune is a Diablo tune. You cannot use a Diablosport to load a tune done with HP tuners. Yes, the shop should be able to send you the custom tune file and they will if they are a respectable shop, but again you have to have a way to load it.
I agree 100% Plus by what I understand the Diablo tuner is the only one out on the market that the factory cant tell if something has been put on the ECM in the past. All other they can tell a tune has been played with on it. Robert
Old 02-13-2017, 06:48 PM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I have my tune backed up on my autocal.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:51 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

Wow, really should have asked about this before you took it into the dealer.

1. Your car is likely to run like crap. Do not run it hard (or at all) until you get the tune re-installed. If it was me, I'd have it towed to the tuner or the house until I get the tune issue sorted out.

2. IF you're not taking it back to the tuner AND they have a copy of your tune AND they'll give it up, you'll need find out what tool your tuner uses for tuning and purchase that same setup. $$ Typically HP Tuner or EFI Live. If they use EFI Live, you can get away a bit cheaper using an AutoCal. There are other tuning tools but those are the ones that most professional tuners use. With this setup, you can re-flash the tune yourself with the tuner-supplied tune file.

3. You'll likely need to start over on your tune since your ECM is now updated. That means applying your tuning updates to the new stock tune file. If you're simply going to overwrite the new stock tune with the old tune and call it good, why take it in for the recall in the first place? Also, this would possibly be considered a new tune by your tuner. $$

Good luck.

Last edited by bigsapper; 02-15-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:36 PM
managerman
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 106 Posts

If you have a custom tune (HP tuners), due to a supercharger install....and you have a new torque converter installed (due to warranty issue)...if the tech has to flash a new transmission file, would that erase the supercharger tune? not sure if they are different files or the same?

Thanks

-M

Last edited by managerman; 02-24-2017 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:17 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

The ECM & TCM are separate.
However, hypothetically, just because you have a trans related issue doesn't mean the ECM won't get flashed as part of the repair.

Last edited by bigsapper; 02-25-2017 at 03:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
managerman (02-25-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Custom tune, Tuners and Dealer flashes

Quick Reply: Custom tune, Tuners and Dealer flashes