Sponsored by:

Update from GM

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 04:18 PM
HORNDAWG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rm50
Where did this come from. I have tried to find this on the web but can't.
Here are some I found today. Well it seems the C7 Corvette will appear in 2012 as a 2013 model. It will retain the front rear platform and the inclusion of more light weight materials (aluminum, carbon fiber etc..). Here and Here

L.P.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:38 AM
yukon988
Racer

Originally Posted by aussiejohn
G'day,
Any word if RHD is planned for the C7? GM will be shooting itself in the foot if it does not look to satisfy this niche, but important market.

When General Motors Holden in Australia was considering introducing the Monaro, a two door version of the Holden Commodore four door sedan, the beancounters told the designers that they would have to sell 6,000 Monaros before a profit was made on them. They ended up selling about 50,000.

Then, when Pontiac wanted a Left Hand Drive version of the Monaro re-badged as a Pontiac GTO, the beancounters said that at least 2,000 LHD coupes would need to be sold before a profit was made. I believe that 30,000 GTOs were sent to the US and Canada.

I know a Monaro is a different car to a Corvette, but the firewall and dashboards of both are not too different from a function perspective.

So, the point is this: how many RHD Corvettes would Bowling Green have to make before they started to show a profit? Is 2,000 about right? If not, what IS the correct figure?

RHD Corvettes would have a ready world market in Great Britain, Ireland, Japan, India, Pakistan, Indonesia, South Africa, New Zealand and Australia, as well as several smaller countries where RHD is the norm.

At a time when the Corvette factory is closed Fridays, and making just over half the cars that they were building only a year or two ago, I just cannot understand why GM are not looking at every possible way to increase the output of Bowling Green. And RHD will increase sales.

Porsche, Ferrari, Audi, BMW, Volkswagen and EVERY other manufacturer in the world builds both LHD and RHD cars and trucks. Every company but Ford America and GM. Maybe that's why Toyota is now the #1 car manufacturer in the world. They listen to what the customer wants.

And this customer is telling GM that he wants a Right Hand Drive Corvette. Why won't they listen?

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
3 days to go
I hear you dude! Unfortunately, I'm not GM....

A while ago, before the current downturn in the business, I read that GM was designing the c7 to be able to be produced as a RHD car (the c6 wasn't). I also read that there would definitely be a RHD Camaro offered. After the downturn and government bailouts, I read that the RHD Camaro was scrapped. Its too bad, I think they would sell well here.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:29 PM
humvet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am not sure what the C7 will look like but other than the C4, I have not been disappointed.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:11 PM
quick04Z06
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 600 Likes on 310 Posts

I think the new Stingray concept is a great starting point, but the LED headlights should be taken from the fender ridges and run across the front lip of the hood on each side of the centerline. That, and with the addition of some serious exhaust pipes in the back, would be a fine looking car.

Since the C6 already has stiff chassis, great f/r balance, etc., maybe just lighten it a bit, add a dual clutch option, and drive on!
Old 09-01-2009, 02:24 PM
BOB EAGAN
Burning Brakes

October issue of Motor Trend says"C7:Next Corvette due no earlier than 2013" Late spring or early summer 2012 production start up is probable close.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:07 PM
TrenAman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with emissions and mpg standards changing, I would be surprised..
Old 09-05-2009, 04:27 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith@VetteFinders
Here are some of the concept photos we've been collecting and a link to our C7 news archive:

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/index...1ECC1208911BEF

Everyone of those are horrible.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:13 PM
vette4jr
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by dfinke23

I'll see ya all in Q3 2011...that's the earliest you'll see anything believable, or of value. A lot can happen in the next 2 years.....
Old 09-16-2009, 05:41 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Out of all of those the only one I would consider is the concept car, and I would buy that in a minute.
Unfortunately I highly doubt that it would go to production looking just like that. If it does it would probably look more like the 1st pic (C6/concept mix) in which case I will keep my $$ and wait another 6yrs for the C8, which by then may just be the 1st Corvette to leave the ground, and have it's power measured in thrust not HP LOL
Old 09-16-2009, 06:23 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Default I dunno, I kinda like the yellow and red ones.....

.................reminds me of an updated version of one of my all time favorite car designs - the 250LM Ferrari of the 1960s !
Old 09-16-2009, 06:54 PM
VerTigo456
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by vette4jr
I'll see ya all in Q3 2011...that's the earliest you'll see anything believable, or of value. A lot can happen in the next 2 years.....
Old 09-16-2009, 08:27 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

exactly

whoever drew those concepts should find another line of work
Old 09-17-2009, 12:23 PM
hhntr111
Burning Brakes

I think we will find out that the C7 will look great, perform even better than the C6, and will have some cool technology that is useful and effective. GM hasn't screwed up a new Vette for a long time, and I think they won't start now.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:56 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aussiejohn
G'day,
Any word if RHD is planned for the C7? GM will be shooting itself in the foot if it does not look to satisfy this niche, but important market.

When General Motors Holden in Australia was considering introducing the Monaro, a two door version of the Holden Commodore four door sedan, the beancounters told the designers that they would have to sell 6,000 Monaros before a profit was made on them. They ended up selling about 50,000.

Then, when Pontiac wanted a Left Hand Drive version of the Monaro re-badged as a Pontiac GTO, the beancounters said that at least 2,000 LHD coupes would need to be sold before a profit was made. I believe that 30,000 GTOs were sent to the US and Canada.

I know a Monaro is a different car to a Corvette, but the firewall and dashboards of both are not too different from a function perspective.

So, the point is this: how many RHD Corvettes would Bowling Green have to make before they started to show a profit? Is 2,000 about right? If not, what IS the correct figure?

RHD Corvettes would have a ready world market in Great Britain, Ireland, Japan, India, Pakistan, Indonesia, South Africa, New Zealand and Australia, as well as several smaller countries where RHD is the norm.

At a time when the Corvette factory is closed Fridays, and making just over half the cars that they were building only a year or two ago, I just cannot understand why GM are not looking at every possible way to increase the output of Bowling Green. And RHD will increase sales.

Porsche, Ferrari, Audi, BMW, Volkswagen and EVERY other manufacturer in the world builds both LHD and RHD cars and trucks. Every company but Ford America and GM. Maybe that's why Toyota is now the #1 car manufacturer in the world. They listen to what the customer wants.

And this customer is telling GM that he wants a Right Hand Drive Corvette. Why won't they listen?

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
3 days to go
May be GM does not build RHD because all the countries around the world protect their home marekt and let very few cars made in the USA in. Then it is not worth ithe expense to bother. They all throw up trade barriers with taxes and BS regulations.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:07 PM
blandcastle
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AlexSmith
I do not like where this is going for the C7. But alas this is all rumors so far.

-Alex
anytime the government, especially the current one, has anything to do with design & development, it is not a good thing for true car lovers.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:10 PM
blandcastle
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by humvet
I am not sure what the C7 will look like but other than the C4, I have not been disappointed.
and Bill Mitchell, agreed with us as well. That is a pretty good man to have on your side as far as design.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:38 AM
WDCrum
4th Gear

if it looks anything like the concept model I will not buy one, but I am waiting on it before I buy a C6.

Get notified of new replies

To Update from GM

Old 11-19-2009, 02:28 PM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

Now I like the look of these!! Especially the bottom one!!

The last one looks to possibly be what would have been the mid Engine platform...............

Mark

Last edited by 08VRZ06; 11-19-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:31 PM
BOWTYE8
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the bottom one as well. Has a racey look to it!!
Old 11-20-2009, 03:04 AM
bxsvx
Cruising

I'm definitely saving for the next vette!

Quick Reply: Update from GM