Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ed Welburn Says That C7 Will Have Split Window Design

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Fast Freddy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with the Federal crash test standards the way they are today i bet it will never happen. they will say that it reduces your vision and the will ban it from new cars. F the Gov't......
Old 10-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Kozzzz
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's one more $.02 worth. I don't want a split rear window either! Doesn't look good (IMO), and definitely hurts visibility/practicality/livability.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:34 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I believe if Ed Welburn says the C7 will have a split window then thats what the vette will have.

I also believe we'll see a stronger lighter metal being used for the hydroformed steel frame rails.

This is going to be one hell of a sports car. Can't wait to see it.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:02 PM
NeutronVette
Race Director

It would be cool if a split window was on a special edition C7.

To make every corvette a split window is idiotic.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:28 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

There will be C7 split window coupes and there will be C7 convertibles.
When the C7 Stingray Coupe was re-unveiled at the National Corvette Museum on Labor Day, I was in the crowd of hundreds, and the three folks next to me all said, if they produce a car with a split window like that, "that will be my 1st Corvette coupe." All three went on to delineate the many Corvette convertibles they have had, but said, for a car to look like that, they would make the change to their first coupe.

Also, trucks are not required to have rear inside mirrors (nor rear cameras), so there will be no Federal prohibition for C7's split windows with rear view cameras.

Count me in for a C7 split window coupe. I'm already saving for it. On to those who want a C7 'vert, go for it, for it too will be a great car.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:20 AM
ls2kev
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
There will be C7 split window coupes and there will be C7 convertibles.
When the C7 Stingray Coupe was re-unveiled at the National Corvette Museum on Labor Day, I was in the crowd of hundreds, and the three folks next to me all said, if they produce a car with a split window like that, "that will be my 1st Corvette coupe." All three went on to delineate the many Corvette convertibles they have had, but said, for a car to look like that, they would make the change to their first coupe.

Also, trucks are not required to have rear inside mirrors (nor rear cameras), so there will be no Federal prohibition for C7's split windows with rear view cameras.

Count me in for a C7 split window coupe. I'm already saving for it. On to those who want a C7 'vert, go for it, for it too will be a great car.
The Federal Government gives each State its own ability to govern traffic laws...
So just because the Feds doens't give a crap about split windows, doesn't mean the State won't. Just like front license plates.

Different state, different laws... look at Kentucky's vehicle inspections...

The split windows might come as options for the States who allow it.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:29 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Anybody try and see through the back window of a Lotus Exige? I'm sure the split window corvette will have excellent rearward visability.

Probably have a small lightweight camera screen etc.. Probably can be done for 2 lbs total and it would be cool as hell. Or maybe the split window corvette will be a painted one way glass type of design.. giving the illusion of a split window from the outside..

Todays technology allows for very simple solutions for a unique design to stand out from past generations of corvettes yet reach back and allow something that in 1963 was a design cue ...(that Bill M fought for)
Old 10-21-2009, 10:57 AM
markr01000
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This looks purely like a smoke screen design to me.
I doubt we'll see many of the features of this design experiment on the production model.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:56 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I hope so. I think that stingray design is ugly.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:49 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

Love the split idea, yet I would rather have a clear vision of what type and distance of vehicle is behind me. I am unsure whether a video display can give this same vision.
However, I'd buy another vert anyway so .......
Old 10-23-2009, 03:11 AM
JeffInDFW
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

The FAA and NASA are currently studying doing away with windows in airliner cockpits, and replacing them with video screens. Google it. The reason given is, the video screens can give a sharper, clearer picture out the "window" than a REAL window because they can filter out haze, and raise the contrast. In THAT application, they are also able to add icons onto the video screen "windows" to show aircraft traffic, airports, terrain, etc.

My point is, if the government is looking to replace airliner cockpit windows with video screens, I don't think replacing the rearview mirror in the Corvette with a video screen in its place is a problem.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:17 AM
General Lee
Pro

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
This has "bad idea" written all over it. Why do they want to make a split window? Because 1 single year out of all 56 years of Corvettes had a split window? They should stop concentrating on going retro and move on. Fresh design. NEW features and stop dwelling on the past. What is with American car designers? The 05+ Mustang... Throw back. The Challenger... Throw back. The Camaro... Throw back. WTF?!

It's time to fire the next designer that says "Lets go back in time." Seriously, or technology has evolved so much since then that we can design better aerodynamically sound platforms and bodies. The only way to advance is to stop using old designs when we KNOW they're not efficient.
Originally Posted by vetdude
"When you can't come up with an innovative design, go retro." I agree with the above - this has got bad idea written all over it.

Can we leave the 'walk down memory lane' to oldies music tv infomercials.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:37 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Another thought is why do this just because 1 single variant of 1 single year in 56 years had this? Might as well bring back all the other bad ideas like the 4+3 and flip out head lights.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:53 PM
Ryan Bell
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by vetdude
"When you can't come up with an innovative design, go retro." I agree with the above - this has got bad idea written all over it.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:22 PM
danmenes
2nd Gear

Personally I'd be all for a C7 Stingray. One of the things I love about my C6 is that the fenders are more evocative of the Stingray than were the C5 or C4. But that concept is awful! A Stingray with a box grill? Looks like a Jeep Stingray to me.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:26 PM
danmenes
2nd Gear

And as for the split window, why don't they bring back the straight six and the solid rear axle, too, while we're going retro?
Old 10-29-2009, 09:28 PM
garytucker
Racer

So why was the split window a bad design? Do you honestly believe you can "lose" a car in the center of the rear of your car. If so, you better not try trailering anything EVER! Saying you'd lose rear vision is like saying Corvairs flipped over at 55mph! People like to bash what they find different...they just can't handle things that don't fit their idea of "right". Personally I think GM will deliver another incredible car and the C6 guys are going to hate it just like the C5 guys hated the C6 when it came out and the C4 guys hated the C5...etc. etc. etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Ed Welburn Says That C7 Will Have Split Window Design

Old 11-05-2009, 06:55 PM
QwikC
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Obstructed vision (split window design), what a concept!
Old 11-06-2009, 11:52 PM
Brandxer
Advanced

Default Trust GM?

I bought my 2005 knowing that the design team would get it right and they did. I trust that they will tweak the design enough to make it incorporate old while embracing the new. Look at all of the innovations that were added stepping up from the C5 to the C6. I thought that in 2004 that the C5 was the best thing going until I drove a C6. I have been happy ever since.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:41 AM
BradJ
Instructor

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Another thought is why do this just because 1 single variant of 1 single year in 56 years had this? Might as well bring back all the other bad ideas like the 4+3 and flip out head lights.
How were these bad ideas? The 4+3 was innovative as hell and worked pretty well. Maybe the best performing transmissions I've ever driven. And flip-ups? I guess they were bad ideas for about 30+ years?

Quick Reply: Ed Welburn Says That C7 Will Have Split Window Design