Zippy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In 2, 9 & 10 Veteran
St Jude donor '09

Default Autoweek says "No Mid-Engine C7."

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2009...NEWS/911119994

Acording to Autoweek magazine, GM announced the C7 will NOT be a mid engine design. The email I just received also had a video stating GM admitted they were in the development stage for a mid engine Vette.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:50 AM
Senna1994
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippy
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2009...NEWS/911119994

Acording to Autoweek magazine, GM announced the C7 will NOT be a mid engine design. The email I just received also had a video stating GM admitted they were in the development stage for a mid engine Vette.
Better that way, can't imagine a Front Engine 911.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:32 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,034 Likes on 1,250 Posts

A front engine is built into the Vette's DNA, so that's that.
Old 11-15-2009, 06:38 PM
nyca
Racer

Received 320 Likes on 139 Posts

The article goes further then that actually - there is no current C7 development program apparently, with this mid-engine project now canned. The C6 is going to be around for a very long time.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:03 PM
wankelvette09
Intermediate

in 77 the vette almost became a wankle mid engine look it up
Old 11-17-2009, 08:23 PM
vetsvett
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LouieM
Yeah, but so were pop up headlights.
Mid engine probably wont happen, but then what does motor week know?
a mid engine vette might be cool as hell. Gm's done everything else,whats left?? just my .02
Old 11-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Licit
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
The article goes further then that actually - there is no current C7 development program apparently, with this mid-engine project now canned. The C6 is going to be around for a very long time.
That could be true but doubtful. Motor Trend said the C7 should be out as a 2013 model, seems even with the years in between there is some planning being done.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:46 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Things change. The first ten years of Vettes had exposed headlights, then the C2-3-4-5 had hidden ones. Compared to engine placement, headlights are small potatoes. I hope the Vette is front engined forever. What other sports car can you take on a two week trip and have suitcase space; probably a Viper coupe, but that's about it.

Originally Posted by vetsvett
Yeah, but so were pop up headlights.
Mid engine probably wont happen, but then what does motor week know?
a mid engine vette might be cool as hell. Gm's done everything else,whats left?? just my .02
Old 11-18-2009, 05:53 PM
///DarkSide\\\
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The Vette should stay with a front engine, period, that's one of the things that defines these cars. A front-mid-engine (a.k.a. pushing the engine as far back as possible) is the way to go.

What I'm most excited about is the development of the duel-clutch manual paddle shift transmission. If they get it right, that type of transmission in a Vette will create excitement & buzz for the car beyond what we've seen with the GS & maybe even, dare I say, the ZR1.

The option of a sequential manual paddle shift trans & a true three (3) pedal manual trans will, IMO, increase the Vette’s creditability on the world stage. BTW, something like 85-90% of ALL Ferraris are ordered with a sequential manual.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:34 PM
wankelvette09
Intermediate

Things change. The first ten years of Vettes had exposed headlights, then the C2-3-4-5 had hidden ones. Compared to engine placement, headlights are small potatoes. I hope the Vette is front engined forever. What other sports car can you take on a two week trip and have suitcase space; probably a Viper coupe, but that's about it.
just about any Ferrari Lambo and Porsche. the front Cargo bay is actually pretty big. and as long as your woman isnt bringing her whole shoe collection you should be good, most actually have more Cubic inches of space than the vette. Or it you go Supra or Skyline there's ton more there. Statistically the vette has the least amount of space per production model
Old 11-19-2009, 01:15 AM
LouieM
Race Director

Normally I wouldn't shoot fish in a barrel, but in this case you're so painfully incorrect that the facts need to be stated for the record. A quick online search shows the following:

Corvette coupe: 22.4 cu ft
Corvette convertible: 11.0

911 Carrera: 3.7 to 4.4 cu ft

Ferrari 430: 8.8 cu ft

Here is a photo you'll never see duplicated in a 911 or 430

Originally Posted by wankelvette09
just about any Ferrari Lambo and Porsche. the front Cargo bay is actually pretty big. and as long as your woman isnt bringing her whole shoe collection you should be good, most actually have more Cubic inches of space than the vette. Or it you go Supra or Skyline there's ton more there. Statistically the vette has the least amount of space per production model
Old 11-19-2009, 01:16 AM
LouieM
Race Director

All excellent points.

Originally Posted by ///DarkSide\\\
The Vette should stay with a front engine, period, that's one of the things that defines these cars. A front-mid-engine (a.k.a. pushing the engine as far back as possible) is the way to go.

What I'm most excited about is the development of the duel-clutch manual paddle shift transmission. If they get it right, that type of transmission in a Vette will create excitement & buzz for the car beyond what we've seen with the GS & maybe even, dare I say, the ZR1.

The option of a sequential manual paddle shift trans & a true three (3) pedal manual trans will, IMO, increase the Vette’s creditability on the world stage. BTW, something like 85-90% of ALL Ferraris are ordered with a sequential manual.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:22 AM
JeffInDFW
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

I can't produce links to back me up, but it SEEMS like I read somewhere recently that the standard issue C7 Vette would remain front engined, and that GM was considering using the rear engined development work that had already been done on the next ZR1. The ZR1s price tag allows them to do this, and the rear engined ZR1 also helps justify the high price. So, basically, the next ZR1 would make the leap into true "supercar exotic" territory by looking less like a standard Corvette.

If someone can find where I read that, please post a link! Its just too late for me to go find it! Its 2:22am!
Old 11-25-2009, 07:42 AM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffInDFW
I can't produce links to back me up, but it SEEMS like I read somewhere recently that the standard issue C7 Vette would remain front engined, and that GM was considering using the rear engined development work that had already been done on the next ZR1. The ZR1s price tag allows them to do this, and the rear engined ZR1 also helps justify the high price. So, basically, the next ZR1 would make the leap into true "supercar exotic" territory by looking less like a standard Corvette.

If someone can find where I read that, please post a link! Its just too late for me to go find it! Its 2:22am!
I think there would be no return on investment with this business decision and GM cannot afford a no ROI investment.

Last edited by mvcrash; 11-28-2009 at 07:19 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:21 PM
STORMCAT
Intermediate

GM should build a rear engine ultimate exotic. The Vette should stay as is. The Cadillac Cien was a cool rear mid engine car. They should build a new model a more upscale car.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:02 PM
30YR W8T
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO the Corvette has continued to evolve and improve with each series and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. However, through all the changes over the years, the car has remained a front engine rear wheel drive car. On the other side, cars like the Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche 911, etc have stayed true to the rear / mid engine design and continued to evolve as well. Yet here we are in 2009 and the Corvette can compete and often outperform these other cars that cost at a minimum twice the price. So the question becomes, why and is it really necessary to change the layout of the car? I will assure you that I do not have the skill to drive my Z06 to its full potential, yet I can drive the car more aggressive than anything I have ever owned and not get myself into trouble. The fact that I can do that, speaks volumes to me about how much better the C6 platform is with a front engine arrangement. I will still argue that having all wheel drive would move this car into a whole new performance arena and can only imagine what an all wheel drive ZR1 would be capable of.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Your next mod should be a built-in sprinkler system.

We call our C6 the "High Performance Station Wagon".

Get notified of new replies

To Autoweek says "No Mid-Engine C7."

Old 12-05-2009, 03:08 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Your next mod should be a built-in sprinkler system.

We call our C6 the "High Performance Station Wagon".
I'll think about a drip system; sprinklers would be overkill. My wife and I sometimes call the 07 "The Wagon," since our other two cars are an 06 Miata and a 67 Sting Ray convertible. The 07 is definitely the COSTCO car.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:38 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

Good. I don't want a mid-engine Corvette. The motor belongs up front where it always has been.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:02 PM
scrannel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 30YR W8T
I will still argue that having all wheel drive would move this car into a whole new performance arena and can only imagine what an all wheel drive ZR1 would be capable of.
Yes, well said. With the engine tucked nicely back and the tranny and dif in the rear, balance is excellent as is. But AWD would be the next, logical choice IMHO.

Quick Reply: Autoweek says "No Mid-Engine C7."