Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will C7 have more HP than the LS9 ZR1?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:12 AM
amidei
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will C7 have more HP than the LS9 ZR1?

I read that 2012 Hennessey Z28 Camaro HPE650 is coming out with 612hp and Ford Shelby GT500 Super Snake with 635hp?

I only hope C7 Corvette will produce more hp than the LS9 ZR1 and the upcoming Muscle Cars of the future.

Any thoughts or rumors if C7 will stay with the V8 and how much hp will the car make?

Last edited by amidei; 11-30-2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:05 PM
MCSSLT1
Burning Brakes

Not likely a base C7 will make that much power. I would expect it to be in the 500-550 range.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:51 PM
amidei
Instructor

Originally Posted by MCSSLT1
Not likely a base C7 will make that much power. I would expect it to be in the 500-550 range.
If GM does not continue with C7 ZO6(600 hp range) the LS9 ZR1 will be the only Corvette to match hp with upcoming Muscle cars.

The LS9 ZR1 will have the advantage (less weight and performance) but are much more expensive.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:54 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by amidei
I read that 2012 Hennessey Z28 Camaro HPE650 is coming out with 612hp and Ford Shelby GT500 Super Snake with 635hp?

I only hope C7 Corvette will produce more hp than the LS9 ZR1 and the upcoming Muscle Cars of the future.

Any thoughts or rumors if C7 will stay with the V8 and how much hp will the car make?
I believe the above mentioned cars are to be special "tuner" cars and not produced directly by GM or Ford. So I don't see a factory Vette as such. I am sure that Pratt & Miller, Callaway, and Lingenfelter will have packages that will exceed these specs however. As it is the ZR1 exceeds them both already.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:08 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Concerned!

I'm concerned that after the shakeup yesterday with Chief Fritz Henderson resigning from GM (Government Motors) that everything is in a spin for now and we don't know where all the "stop"s are? Is the Corvette a "stop" now and won't be produced in any version? Earlier, they listed the stops, will they reevaluate them?
Old 12-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Quickstrike Zo6
Intermediate

If GM stopped making their "iconic" models, they might as well go ahead and close up shop. Would they only have the Camero to lean on? No way.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:47 PM
vette.mix
Le Mans Master

Old 01-08-2010, 09:36 PM
ivanjo11
Burning Brakes

i read that 2012 hennessey z28 camaro hpe650 is coming out with 612hp and ford shelby gt500 super snake with 635hp?

I only hope c7 corvette will produce more hp than the ls9 zr1 and the upcoming muscle cars of the future.

Any thoughts or rumors if c7 will stay with the v8 and how much hp will the car make?

the technology is there for the c7 in all its variants base, z06 and zr1 to produce more power than the c6 in all its models.

What the engineers have to find out is how to put that power down to the pavement efficiently with minimal power oversteer out of corners and better traction... That is the big challenge....
Old 01-09-2010, 01:59 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No chance.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:48 AM
robenjake
Intermediate

Default C7 Future

The future Corvette needs to get younger and more affordable. ( i am a baby boomer and my ride is a 2009 Z06) With that said it may damage the current fan base. Vett numbers are way down in 2009 and looks like 2010 will be even less.

C7 Future:
Less than 3000 lbs (all new weight technology), lighter, the faster less motor will be needed
Six Cylinder, twin turbo or supercharged
Needs to get over 21mpg city and over 30 hwy
Latest technology standard
Interior needs to be much improved look and feel, (Audi Like)
quarter mile times sub 4.3,
AWD for those that live up North (Special Edition) I have ownded a WRX and that would be a nice model.
This will keep the VETT alive and bring in new blood with new ideas

Your feedback is welcomed, I am expecting some strong oinions
Old 01-10-2010, 11:10 AM
ivanjo11
Burning Brakes

One thing is for sure, the horsepower war is not going away anytime soon is obvious the Ferrari 458 is up to 570 hp, Porsche next generation GT2 will probably be around there, BMW NEXT GENERATION M5 SHOULD MAKE AT LEAST 550 HP also an so on...

SO THE VETTE CAN'T FALL TO SLEEP IN THE LAURELS...

THE C7 Z06 THE WEIGHT HAS TO COME DOWN AND THE POWER HAS TO COME UP IF IT WANTS TO STAY COMPETITIVE AGAINST THE BIG GUNS FROM EUROPE.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:49 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanjo11
One thing is for sure, the horsepower war is not going away anytime soon is obvious the Ferrari 458 is up to 570 hp, Porsche next generation GT2 will probably be around there, BMW NEXT GENERATION M5 SHOULD MAKE AT LEAST 550 HP also an so on...

SO THE VETTE CAN'T FALL TO SLEEP IN THE LAURELS...

THE C7 Z06 THE WEIGHT HAS TO COME DOWN AND THE POWER HAS TO COME UP IF IT WANTS TO STAY COMPETITIVE AGAINST THE BIG GUNS FROM EUROPE.

Guys are already having trouble putting 505hp and 638hp through two rear wheels. I don't see how adding even more hp does anything other than bragging rights for a model year or two. Instead of mega hp injections, I think Corvette development would be better off folding more tricks from the C6R program into upcoming performance option Vettes. Legit carry overs, not like the C6 Z06 dry sump, which many over in that section have complained is only suitable for street use and not track use.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:15 PM
ivanjo11
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Guys are already having trouble putting 505hp and 638hp through two rear wheels. I don't see how adding even more hp does anything other than bragging rights for a model year or two. Instead of mega hp injections, I think Corvette development would be better off folding more tricks from the C6R program into upcoming performance option Vettes. Legit carry overs, not like the C6 Z06 dry sump, which many over in that section have complained is only suitable for street use and not track use.

BUT IN THE CASE OF THE VETTE THERE ARE SOME THINGS THAT CAN BE DONE TO IMPROVE ITS REAR TRACTION:

1) IMPROVE THE WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION ZR1 IS 52/48... FERRARI 599 IS AROUND 47/53, PUTTING MORE WEIGHT IN THE REAR TIRES WILL HELP THE VETTE TRACTION.

2) IF THE COULD PUT IN THE VETTE A DIFFERENTIAL THAT CONTROLS THE TORQUE THAT IS SENT TO BOTH THE LEFT AND RIGHT WHEELS BASED ON THE SPEED OF THE WHEELS INSTEAD IF THE WHEEL IS SLIPPING (EXAMPLE FERRARI E-DIFFERENTIAL, BMW VARIABLE M- DIFFERENTIAL) THAT WOULD ALSO HELP..
Old 01-15-2010, 04:09 PM
PbmMonster
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by robenjake
The future Corvette needs to get younger and more affordable. ( i am a baby boomer and my ride is a 2009 Z06) With that said it may damage the current fan base. Vett numbers are way down in 2009 and looks like 2010 will be even less.

C7 Future:
Less than 3000 lbs (all new weight technology), lighter, the faster less motor will be needed
AWD for those that live up North (Special Edition) I have ownded a WRX and that would be a nice model.

yeah and while your at it throw on another 2 doors and have a wagon version.

no the corvette needs to keep its spirit as a v8 rwd 2 door sports car but does definatly need an advancement on the tech side and also in the interior but most of what you just said was to build an audi tt
Old 01-15-2010, 10:40 PM
vette.mix
Le Mans Master

If GM does not continue with C7 ZO6(600 hp range) the LS9 ZR1 will be the only Corvette to match hp with upcoming Muscle cars.

The LS9 ZR1 will have the advantage (less weight and performance) but are much more expensive.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:33 AM
CFHay
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

C7 Future:

So you want a GTR? The Corvette should always be RWD and V8 imo. I expect and hope the next generation of the Corvette to be lighter but be in a similar power range as the current models.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:40 AM
RareSS9596
Pro

Originally Posted by CFHay
So you want a GTR? The Corvette should always be RWD and V8 imo. I expect and hope the next generation of the Corvette to be lighter but be in a similar power range as the current models.

Get notified of new replies

To Will C7 have more HP than the LS9 ZR1?

Old 01-16-2010, 12:51 PM
jaguar5822
Racer

C7 Future:

Although I love the V8, I could see the possibility of a v6 turbo if it significantly increased gas mileage, it would also help bring in the tuner crowd. Yes it's nice to have something more exclusive, but the more people who buy corvettes, the more money they can put into development. The corvette seems to always be behind in the interior, but ahead in performance, and I don't mind if it stays that way, but it could use some upgraded materials, starting with the seats. On the performance side, for the hardcore track users, they need to come up with a nice paddeshift system like ferrari's, or a sequential manual transmission. Either of these will help reduce track times. I don't think 4WD is a good idea, as it would only increase the weight.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:49 PM
danielgreig
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cfhay
so you want a gtr? The corvette should always be rwd and v8 imo. I expect and hope the next generation of the corvette to be lighter but be in a similar power range as the current models.
i agree
Old 01-31-2010, 08:12 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

In short with the Z28 given the go ahead at I believe 560 HP it's going to be the old numbers game continued. A Vette at or slightly above the LS9's numbers would be a necessity within Chevy's own line up.Would you want a Vette with a lower rated HP than a Camaro from the factory.I would not buy one.I don't care if they tried to jamb lighter weight/better handling stats,PTW ratios ,etc: down my throat,the Vette still has to be top dog in the line up.

Quick Reply: Will C7 have more HP than the LS9 ZR1?