Sponsored by:

C7 Z06 or SS or whatever it will be called question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default C7 Z06 or SS or whatever it will be called question

So there will be the base C7 model.... then...

How long after the base C7 model comes out, will the upgraded version (Z06) come out? 1 year after? The same year as the base model? Another time???

Anyone know if it will be called a Z06 for sure? Whats this talk about the SS?

I look at the C5, and it took 3 years for the frc then 5 years for the Z to come out...

Then with the C6, it took 1 year after the 05, coming out in 06...

Now I would imagine it would be 1 year after? Unless for some miraculous reason it would come out at the same time?
Old 02-14-2010, 12:21 AM
02MillenniumVette
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would think GM will wait a year again like they did on the C6. I think the reason it took them so long on the C5 is because they didnt really have any plans for a more powerful Corvette at the time. Thats just my opinion though.

The only "SS" that Ive known about was what the ZR1 was going to be possibly called. Obviously its not.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 02MillenniumVette
I would think GM will wait a year again like they did on the C6. I think the reason it took them so long on the C5 is because they didnt really have any plans for a more powerful Corvette at the time. Thats just my opinion though.

The only "SS" that Ive known about was what the ZR1 was going to be possibly called. Obviously its not.
Ohhh so the ZR1 equivalent will be called the SS, and the Z06 will still be the Z06?
Old 02-14-2010, 08:29 PM
vant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Garrett FRC
So there will be the base C7 model.... then...

How long after the base C7 model comes out, will the upgraded version (Z06) come out? 1 year after? The same year as the base model? Another time???

Anyone know if it will be called a Z06 for sure? Whats this talk about the SS?

I look at the C5, and it took 3 years for the frc then 5 years for the Z to come out...

Then with the C6, it took 1 year after the 05, coming out in 06...

Now I would imagine it would be 1 year after? Unless for some miraculous reason it would come out at the same time?
I agree with 02MillenniumVette. It makes better business sense to release the base model first. Then, after one or two years, GM will up the ante with a high-performance model.

I don't think anyone knows what they will call the high-performance model, but it would seem foolish to retire the Z06 name which has such a great brand presence. I'd be willing to bet there will be a C7 Z06 eventually.

Oh, and technically the '99 C5 FRC was released 2 years after the '97 coupe. And the '01 C5 Z06 was released 2 years after that.

Originally Posted by Garrett FRC
Ohhh so the ZR1 equivalent will be called the SS, and the Z06 will still be the Z06?
He was speaking in the past tense, referring to the development of the C6 ZR1. This was 3 or 4 years ago. Back then, GM had not yet given the car a name since it wasn't even supposed to exist officially. There was speculation that the new model would be called the "Corvette SS" or possibly the "Blue Devil".
Old 02-15-2010, 03:32 PM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vant
I agree with 02MillenniumVette. It makes better business sense to release the base model first. Then, after one or two years, GM will up the ante with a high-performance model.

I don't think anyone knows what they will call the high-performance model, but it would seem foolish to retire the Z06 name which has such a great brand presence. I'd be willing to bet there will be a C7 Z06 eventually.

Oh, and technically the '99 C5 FRC was released 2 years after the '97 coupe. And the '01 C5 Z06 was released 2 years after that.

He was speaking in the past tense, referring to the development of the C6 ZR1. This was 3 or 4 years ago. Back then, GM had not yet given the car a name since it wasn't even supposed to exist officially. There was speculation that the new model would be called the "Corvette SS" or possibly the "Blue Devil".
I remember the whole blue devil thing. Makes sense. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:52 PM
02MillenniumVette
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vant

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 or SS or whatever it will be called question

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 or SS or whatever it will be called question