Sponsored by:

Quote from Autocar

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 02:23 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Quote from Autocar

"AMG has revealed a new twin-turbo 5.5-litre V8 engine, which will be available in the Mercedes S63 AMG from this summer.

Despite having a smaller capacity than the 6.2-litre V8 it replaces, the new unit, codenamed M157, produces more power and more torque and promises improved fuel efficiency.

A total of 537bhp is produced at 5500rpm (versus 518bhp at 6800rpm in the 6.2 V8) and 590lb ft of torque is also on offer between 2000 and 4500rpm, which is considerably more than the 464lb ft at 5200rpm produced in the current engine.

A 563bhp, 664lb ft version of the engine will also be available as part of a performance package upgrade on the S63 AMG.

The engine weighs 204kg, the twin turbochargers are provided by Garrett and the engine will be mated to Mercedes’ seven-speed MCT transmission, which is also found in the E63 AMG. Fuel consumption in the 5.5 V8 has been improved to 26.9mpg from 19.6mpg in the outgoing 6.2 V8.

The new unit is based on an upcoming Mercedes twin-turbo 4.6-litre V8 engine, which will find its way into the new CLS and S-class models later this year. It’s codenamed M278."

Here's one way to reduce displacement and power up
Old 03-01-2010, 04:13 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting isnt it... The C6 has a 6.2 and the new racing requirements restrict the engine volume to 5.5L (just like Mercedes). Maybe we can see a similar setup in the C7 Vette?
Old 03-01-2010, 07:36 PM
DaytonaFIC6
Racer

The automakers have more than enough knowledge to get power from smaller engines. It just takes more work and time on thier part. Hell we do it all the time in the aftermarket, keep the same displacement yet improve mileage and power. I would hope if we can do it they can do an even better job when building from the ground up. It will be interesting to see if automakers start making lighter cars due to CAFE. As we all know that is the best way to improve performance and mileage at the same time.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:50 PM
g9m3c
Instructor

Originally Posted by DaytonaFIC6
The automakers have more than enough knowledge to get power from smaller engines. It just takes more work and time on thier part. Hell we do it all the time in the aftermarket, keep the same displacement yet improve mileage and power. I would hope if we can do it they can do an even better job when building from the ground up. It will be interesting to see if automakers start making lighter cars due to CAFE. As we all know that is the best way to improve performance and mileage at the same time.

Right-O.

Washington needs to decide if it wants uber-safe (heavy) vehicles or MPG machines. The lines are fast approaching eachother. Blood can't come from a turnip, so to speak.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Alton.cedric
7th Gear

One of my customers bought this car and he let me drive it and all that I can say is (whats not to like about it). Everything that is stated about this car is true but the one thing that's hard to understand is where really can you drive it so that you can feel what you paid for without getting pulled over.

Get notified of new replies

To Quote from Autocar

Quick Reply: Quote from Autocar