Sponsored by:

Revamped C7, Mid Engine V6 C8 Plan

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:58 AM
davidwp97
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Revamped C7, Mid Engine V6 C8 Plan

General Motors is mulling a radical re-engineering for the Chevrolet Corvette, centered on a more fuel-efficient, mid-engined V6 powertrain, a lightweight alloy body and a more compact footprint.

The idea is to re-energize GM's ambition for the Corvette, with fundamental changes that will make it into a contemporary global supercar. The changes are penciled into GM's product plan for the next major model change, the C8, with an on-sale date around 2016. Both coupe and convertible models are planned.

The C7 had been the focus of plans for a mid-engined model capable of matching Europe's most exotic supercars. The mid-engined C7 got as far as engineering development but was canceled when the global credit crunch hit and GM faced financial woes that eventually led to the company's trip through bankruptcy court.

As a result, GM recast its Corvette plans around a more modest revamp of today's C6 into the C7 version, essentially a stopgap until the world-beating C8 arrives.

"That [the C7] will be the last of the traditional, old-style Corvettes," a senior GM insider told AutoWeek.

That will buy GM time while it works on a revolutionary new concept for the C8 Corvette that can blend fuel-economy and emissions improvements with the required level of supercar performance and handling.

MOTOR FORECAST An illustrated look at a potential rear design of the C8 Chevrolet Corvette.

Engineers are likely to shrink the C8 Corvette's footprint to cut weight and aerodynamic drag and reduce its visual bulk, which also will help with sales outside the United States.

Likely to shock Corvette purists is the suggestion that a V6 will replace a V8 in the C8, although 440 hp courtesy of twin turbochargers ought to calm fears of reduced power output.

With a traditional C7 on the horizon and a world-challenging all-new C8 in the wings, the survival of GM's greatest sports car likely will depend on its adaptability more than on its longevity.

There's more to this story in the March 22 issue of AutoWeek. To get the magazine, to go www.autoweek.com/subscribe.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...#ixzz0iRxtOmWC
Old 03-17-2010, 04:47 PM
SSphantom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep! That's what I've been saying the past few days in the C7 forum.

The C7 will be a stopgap for now. However, it's not a bad thing. The C6 still has tons of potential and can be improved on in many areas. If the C7 builds upon the C6 in the right areas, it will be awesome and should remain strong until the C8 comes out.

A mid-egnine C8 - WOW! I can't wait. All of this makes perfect sense, from the progression to the C7 to the C8.

For many reasons, it wasn't the right time for GM to spend hundreds of millions to develop a completely unique platform for the C7.

I'd rather see them do it right and it looks like GM is moving forward with the highest expecations for the C8.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:03 PM
mn4
Instructor

They already made a C8. It was called the Fiero!

Please keep the Corvette as it is.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:24 PM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

just read it on msn. the whole story sounds very misinformed. the only part of it that makes sense is that the C7 is in the works.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:30 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

I don't have a problem with a mid-engine, but it still needs a V8. A V6 doesn't cut it no matter what the horsepower is.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:58 PM
SSphantom
Instructor

Originally Posted by m48xhp
just read it on msn. the whole story sounds very misinformed. the only part of it that makes sense is that the C7 is in the works.
I agree that the story wasn't very clear. I'm not saying the story isn't true, but things need to be clarified a little bit more. I'm sure we'll hear more news on it soon.

By the way, you would think the forum would have a lot to say about this story.

I get the sense that a lot of Corvette owners/enthusiasts are mad, in disbelief, denial, or whatever about the possibility of some radical changes. I don't think some want to even entertain the idea of it right now.

I guess we'll see what happens when a little more concrete information comes out.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:47 AM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SSphantom
I agree that the story wasn't very clear. I'm not saying the story isn't true, but things need to be clarified a little bit more. I'm sure we'll hear more news on it soon.

By the way, you would think the forum would have a lot to say about this story.

I get the sense that a lot of Corvette owners/enthusiasts are mad, in disbelief, denial, or whatever about the possibility of some radical changes. I don't think some want to even entertain the idea of it right now.

I guess we'll see what happens when a little more concrete information comes out.
ya, but not many come in here. i agree, too many people would raise hell about the v6, even a twin turbo. i know a good dohc v8 with DI and DOD can get 30+ mpg. Maybe they are just "saying" these things to make the CAFE feds happy. i also dont think the mid-engine will happen. a vette must always be front engine, rear drive and a v8+

if chevy wants to make a mid engine flagship, go for it, but take a page out of ford's book and release a limited edition super car and price it around 150-200 (ford gt), but DONT call it a Corvette.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

2016 is so far off at this point that it's hard to get excited about two generations down the road.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My inside source says-(third cousin removed by marraige) C7 to be revamped Pontiac Astek
Old 03-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I hate this story, why? Cause it makes the C7 sound rather inferior. Before the C7 is even released with specs/pics etc, they are already touting how the C8 will be a supercar to compete around the world. Especially odd since the C6 Z06 was considered by many publications as delivering Supercar performance (hard to deny that back in 2005/2006 when it was as fast or faster then Ferrari F430, Ford GT, Viper, Lambos, Zondas etc....) The C6 ZR1 further elevated Corvette performance even higher!

So we hear the C7 will be "stopgap" car, short production run (for a Corvette) has been built/designed during a period of limited funds for GM....no mention that it will be a "global supercar." I don't know, I was looking forward to what the C7Z06 would be like but this story isn't exactly a very flattering look forward to the C7.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
I hate this story, why? Cause it makes the C7 sound rather inferior. Before the C7 is even released with specs/pics etc, they are already touting how the C8 will be a supercar to compete around the world. Especially odd since the C6 Z06 was considered by many publications as delivering Supercar performance (hard to deny that back in 2005/2006 when it was as fast or faster then Ferrari F430, Ford GT, Viper, Lambos, Zondas etc....) The C6 ZR1 further elevated Corvette performance even higher!

So we hear the C7 will be "stopgap" car, short production run (for a Corvette) has been built/designed during a period of limited funds for GM....no mention that it will be a "global supercar." I don't know, I was looking forward to what the C7Z06 would be like but this story isn't exactly a very flattering look forward to the C7.
This won't be the first time that GM has introduced a stop gap car in the performance segment. This was the approach with bringing the GTO over and even the current Camaro. The GTO was suppose to build excitement for a ground up next generation model. The Camaro is suppose to be a shorter run on the current platform and then released in the 2014 time frame on a new chassis.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:33 PM
ZR1Gerhardt
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

a vette must always be front engine, rear drive and a v8+

No it doesn't. The car must be whatever it takes to create WORLDWIDE DEMAND for their best sports car and meet whatever environmental and fuel economy rules are in place.

GM needs to compete better on a worldwide basis. That means being able to take the best design of a car (Corvette in this case) that can be sold in the most markets.

Look at Porsche, their designs sell well in Europe and North America and a lot of other places in the world. Corvette has traditionally only sold well in North America. They want and need that to change.

Scott
Old 03-18-2010, 07:49 PM
LCS51
Advanced

well for gm complaining about "teens" and the younger generation not taking intrest in the corvette, well thats why. The corvette is already out of reach for 95% of the age group. so what does gm do? Lets make it a supercar. I had a feeling this would happen. The corvette has been knocking on the rest of the world's door in terms of supercars for the past 6 years with the c6 and z06. Why would they stop going further now? Why would they scale back? I'll be keeping my v8 thankyou very much. It'll be interesting to see where they go looks wise, as I saw an article about how they were looking worldwide for the next vette design...sounds like american idol almost
Old 03-18-2010, 09:33 PM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ZR1Gerhardt

No it doesn't. The car must be whatever it takes to create WORLDWIDE DEMAND for their best sports car and meet whatever environmental and fuel economy rules are in place.

GM needs to compete better on a worldwide basis. That means being able to take the best design of a car (Corvette in this case) that can be sold in the most markets.

Look at Porsche, their designs sell well in Europe and North America and a lot of other places in the world. Corvette has traditionally only sold well in North America. They want and need that to change.

Scott
I see your point, but given the overwhelming response by members here (owners and future buyers) that they would not buy a v6 Corvette. The Vette needs a little bit better build quality, nicer finishes and cheaper prices overseas to be a global supercar. it doesnt need a turbo 6. but maybe that is just my opinion.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:05 PM
ZR1Gerhardt
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I see your point, but given the overwhelming response by members here (owners and future buyers) that they would not buy a v6 Corvette. The Vette needs a little bit better build quality, nicer finishes and cheaper prices overseas to be a global supercar. it doesnt need a turbo 6. but maybe that is just my opinion.
The V6 idea is not being driven by the thought that it would create demand overseas. It is being driven be the new CAFE (fuel economy) and environmental laws. They need to be in a position engine wise to be able to meet the ever tightening laws.

Yes they may be able to do that with a v8, but a smaller engine typically during normal every day driving gets better gas mileage and puts out less emissions.

I think they want to make a V8, but I think they see the writing on the wall with the Green movement and the last time oil hit 100+ per barrel. If China continues to grow and we continue to run our economy into the ground. China will drive the demand for oil up so high, our last crisis with gas at $4-5 per gallon will seem cheap.
Scott

Last edited by ZR1Gerhardt; 03-18-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:23 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I don't give a flying fork what people in other countries want. Corvette's present packaging works well. Mid-engined designs suck to live with on a daily basis. My Corvette is still a car, not a weekend plaything. I cannot believe that GM would destroy everything that is great about the Corvette to chase a few Euros. Corvette deserves better than me-too engineering.

And it will get better. This article is built on vapor. GM frequently daydreams about different packaging, materials, and powerplants, but then they wake up and build the next Corvette, a stonking-great American icon.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:38 AM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ZR1Gerhardt
The V6 idea is not being driven by the thought that it would create demand overseas. It is being driven be the new CAFE (fuel economy) and environmental laws. They need to be in a position engine wise to be able to meet the ever tightening laws.

Yes they may be able to do that with a v8, but a smaller engine typically during normal every day driving gets better gas mileage and puts out less emissions.

I think they want to make a V8, but I think they see the writing on the wall with the Green movement and the last time oil hit 100+ per barrel. If China continues to grow and we continue to run our economy into the ground. China will drive the demand for oil up so high, our last crisis with gas at $4-5 per gallon will seem cheap.
Scott
i know its all CAFE, but your first comment sounded like that is what the market was demanding. really though, it any major change like that will not increase overseas interest. better quality and a good price will. Corvettes are 2x and 3x the price in some other countries.

Get notified of new replies

To Revamped C7, Mid Engine V6 C8 Plan

Old 03-19-2010, 11:08 AM
ST Graveyard
Instructor

I need to see this before I believe it. They have been building a mid engine Vette since the 60's.
If it is all true, GM is finally doing something right here. Although I'm a big fan of the V8. A bit sad, but times are changing ...
Old 03-19-2010, 05:44 PM
CarlHoffman
2nd Gear

I advise everyone to go to the National Corvette Museum and see the wasted time GM made because of big egos in making a mid engine Corvette before the C5 came out in the late 1990's. Remember Roger Smith's comment recorded in "All Corvettes are Red?" What will happen to my 22 cubic feet of cargo that is a selling feature? What will happen to the music of my V8? Presently the engine is behind the front axle and weight distribution is good. Granted traction could be improved and for ideas they can check out Porsche who kept their tradition alive but going to a hybrid for the 911 GT3 R Hybrid. Also look at the pictures and the round tail lights are gone too. Corvette has a tradition and granted new things can happen but a mid engine Corvette simply another waste of time and engineering dollars that can be spent on better ideas. The ZR 1 rang Europe's bell just check out Top Gear.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:34 AM
mbd
Intermediate

Don't CAFE standards have to do with averages over all models? I don't know ANYTHING about it, but I thought that's what it was. So if you sell as many Volts as you do Vettes, you could put any kind of engine you wanted in the Vette.

Quick Reply: Revamped C7, Mid Engine V6 C8 Plan