Sponsored by:

About the C8

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 09:15 AM
crosswhite
Acct suspended by request 19 April 2010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About the C8

I read somewhere, thought it was on here, about the C7 being skipped and the C8 possibly being a midengine V6...well, I ranted to my Grandpa (lifetime Corvette enthusiats/purist), apparently he heard before I did and this was his reply to the magazine he read it in....

Corvette purists will NEVER buy a 6-cylinder Corvette, I don't care if it has 600 horsepower. (This must be part of Obama's takeover plan -- a sissy Vette for a sissy president.) Part of the Corvette mystique is the sound of pure V8 power, and anything other than that will never be accepted. Remember when Ford decided it was time to dump the Mustang and replace it with something more "current"? It was called the Probe. Luckily the suits at FoMoCo decided to continue to build the "outdated" Mustang alongside the Probe, until people realized that the Probe was the design of the future... and of course they never did and the rest is history. The Probe is now in the Yugo/Vega/Pinto bin, and now, some 20 years on, the Mustang continues to thrive, and with the same "outdated" RWD configuration. So a bit of advice to GM: Go ahead and make your silly little mid-engine car with a rubber-band engine, but PLEASE do not call it a Corvette. Continue to build the current Corvette alongside the new one as Ford did with the 'Stang, and we'll see what happens. Oh, and if you need a name for the new sissy-car, "Corvair" hasn't been used in a while. That would be fitting.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:41 AM
dcress1127
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree with your grandfather. Even to suggest the dumbing down seems sinful, but it would certainly be a boon to aftermarket guys. The AM has always been there to pick up the slack from the Mfg's who, after all these years, still don't seem to get it
Old 04-07-2010, 10:29 AM
68ragtop69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
MD Events Coordinator
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
CI-X Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Corvair would be an appropriate name for a mid-engine roadster. As for the next generation vette, I think it will definitely be packing a V8 (just a bit smaller).

Get notified of new replies

To About the C8

Quick Reply: About the C8