C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: For the C7 or C8, would you prefer a front engine or mid-engine layout?
I prefer a front engine layout
61.33%
I prefer a mid-engine layout
38.67%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Mid-Engine Poll

Old 04-07-2010, 05:19 PM
nkx1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mid-Engine Poll

Just curious what others prefer. I like the front engine, since it affords some utility. A mid-engine layout would offer little to no utility (trunk). It would seem that a front engine layout would be easier to work on as well. I've never seen a mid-engine layout that appears as accessible a front engine layout.

Last edited by nkx1; 04-07-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:11 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,374 Likes on 2,066 Posts

I will point out once again that the Corvette is currently a mid-engine design with the cockpit behind the engine.

Almost no engine is as accessible as they once were. Rear mid-engined car can still have similar engine access if properly designed.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:14 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mid engine would be the next step for the vette as a world class supercar. And taking that next step might mean leaving your golf clubs at home. I have my truck for utility. I bought the vette to go fast.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:27 PM
vant
Burning Brakes

I prefer both, but for different reasons. Neither one is perfect. It would be very interesting if GM could build the two versions at the same time.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:24 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

The Chevrolet Corvette has never been, is not, and therefore never should be a mid engined car.

Seriously, what's wrong with you people? A mid engined Corvette? Really? In what reality does that even remotely make sense? What benefit would it provide?

If the Corvette becomes mid engine, it becomes yet another silly sports car that just blends in. There will be nothing unique about it anymore. It will lose everything that makes it Corvette. I see not a single, solitary, minuscule reason that the Corvette should become mid engined. It simply cannot happen.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:22 PM
mbd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vant
I prefer both, but for different reasons. Neither one is perfect. It would be very interesting if GM could build the two versions at the same time.
With the Grand Sport coming out, the Z06 and ZR1, as well as the verts, Corvette could break out into a separate brand. Like Porsche, have everything from a $40K roadster to a $150K supercar. Satisfy everyone here!!
Old 04-09-2010, 12:14 AM
BobbyC3
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Chuck
Old 04-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by redvette77
The Chevrolet Corvette has never been, is not, and therefore never should be a mid engined car.

You must have missed it, it happened with the 1984 model year.

There are benefits to having a mid-engined car with the engine behind the cockpit. On a rear drive car it increases traction. It also improves the breaking distribution when stopping when driving forward. It can improve tossability if the weight is very close to the center of rotation.

It can be a negative it not done properly and it shifts the weight distribution to far aft, as it can cause snap oversteer.

Last edited by Racer X; 04-10-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:41 PM
SorcererXIII
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it looks better front engine. I like the long hood with the slight bump in the middle indicating there is power under there. In mid-engine cars, the front tends to look too short to me. It result in better performance characteristics but not enough that I would sacrifice classic corvette looks.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:24 PM
02MillenniumVette
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It really doesnt matter if its front engine or mid engine to me as long as it has a V8 in it.

Originally Posted by mbd
With the Grand Sport coming out, the Z06 and ZR1, as well as the verts, Corvette could break out into a separate brand. Like Porsche, have everything from a $40K roadster to a $150K supercar. Satisfy everyone here!!
If your talking about the Carrera GT, then its a $400k supercar, not $150k.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:54 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Racer X
You must have missed it, it happened with the 1984 model year.

Fine then Me. Technical.

There has never been a PRODUCTION model mid engine Corvette.

Happy?
Old 04-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by redvette77
Fine then Me. Technical.

There has never been a PRODUCTION model mid engine Corvette.

Happy?
You have missed the point.

Every PRODUCTION Corvette 1984 model year on has been a mid engined car. The engine is inside the wheelbase, by definition a mid engine configuration. The passenger compartment is behind the engine. It is a common inaccuracy to believe that the engine must be behind the passenger compartment for a car to be "mid-engined".
Old 04-12-2010, 06:46 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Every PRODUCTION Corvette 1984 model year on has been a mid engined car. The engine is inside the wheelbase, by definition a mid engine configuration. The passenger compartment is behind the engine. It is a common inaccuracy to believe that the engine must be behind the passenger compartment for a car to be "mid-engined".
Well, yes, you are correct.

But how many people think as technical as you and I? lol

I was basing my posts on general belief, not technical terms.

The hard thing to figure out is what GM means by a mid engine design. Will they place the engine behind the passenger compartment? I would certainly hope not.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:01 PM
indyspeed
Instructor

I set on the fence on this particular one. Although my vote goes to the front engine. I think the C6 or even the C5 has proven that a hybrid design (not in the engine sense) with the transmission moved to the rear for better weight distribution can provide a highly capable vehicle. I believe some Ferraris use this design as well. Sure a true mid-engine design might help with weight distribution and perhaps center of gravity, but it might hurt what the Corvette has been about. My biggest concern with the mid-engine approach are:

1) Additional noise from the engine being right behind your head. The Ford GT has this problem.
2) Potentially reduced rear visibility. The Ford GT also had this problem.
3) No place for storage. As much as people really want a performance car above any other consideration (those are probably in minority). The Corvette is really a partially practical performance car. Who hasn't heard of the Corvette vacation? You need a place to put things, and moving the storage to the front perhaps like a Porsche Boxster would really cause problems for those that want to do more than go to the track and/or take a quick weekend cruise.
4) Price. Corvette as of late (and for many years) has been a vehicle that average professional people can attain new, and almost anyone can obtain used. I remember seeing a statistic stating that 50% (or something close to that) of Corvette buyers buy their Corvette used.

I don't doubt GM could pull a Ford GT out of their hat, but what would the price point be? Does that really provide a halo car for Chevy buyers with vehicles at a much more reasonable price point? Does this scare away the majority of potentially buyers of Corvette because they are looking for a Corvette vacation or weekend cruise with some room in the back for a few things. I'm all for performance. I pick up my new Z06 tomorrow, but I think there needs to be balance in the Corvette in regards to its utility. I also think the price point needs to be attainable, and that is something that is becoming sort of problem when you consider the pricing of the Z06 and ZR1. A fully loaded Grand Sport isn't exactly cheap either. If GM can address my issues, then go for a mid-engine. I really don't think it can be done with some sacrifices for what Corvette is. There has always been a battle within GM all they way to the Duntov era (1960s) wanting the Corvette to move to a pure performance car including with a mid-engine design. Even though times have changed significantly since then, I think they will still have the same problem. That is the audience for the car and price to manufacture.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Im disgusted that it is this close... The point of a vette is front engine isn't it? Am I missing something?
Old 04-13-2010, 10:23 PM
BobbyC3
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13

FMR layout – Front Mid-engine / Rear-wheel drive
Old 04-20-2010, 09:40 PM
Kevin93
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by SorcererXIII
I think it looks better front engine. I like the long hood with the slight bump in the middle indicating there is power under there. In mid-engine cars, the front tends to look too short to me. It result in better performance characteristics but not enough that I would sacrifice classic corvette looks.
Given that the Vette can now stand tall with the best around tracks in general and even the Ring, to me the marginal benefits of handling wouldn't be worth killing the aesthetics. There are still more easy (and less costly) improvements in suspension that could be done to improve handling and maintain looks, that would make sense before going that far.

Get notified of new replies

To Mid-Engine Poll

Old 04-26-2010, 03:51 PM
ImaniAbigailWilliams
3rd Gear

Interesting photo shoot of Porsche's other mid-engine sports car. ... You may not vote on this poll. » View Poll Results
Old 04-26-2010, 05:21 PM
ZR1Gerhardt
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I would stay with the engine in front if it means storage will be sacrificed. If I can't fit two sets of golf clubs then no thanks.

Other than the storage issue, I don't care where the engine is as long as the car is designed to have the performance and handling I am accustomed to in my Vettes and the car is beautiful as a sports car should be.

Scott
Old 04-26-2010, 07:22 PM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 321 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Inaccurate or not if it has the engine in front of the driver then it's not a mid engine car. Technically it may be a mid engine configuration but as defined by the average consumer it isn't a mid engine Corvette. And to my knowledge GM has never marketed it as a mid engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mid-Engine Poll