Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Vette Update info out of Bowling Green

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:55 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I don't know, building a sports car that does so many difficult things so well, and then putting in seats with ****-poor lateral support, and turning a deaf ear to years of complaints from the press and customers alike... is about the equivalent of leading LeMans for 23 hours and then wandering off for pancakes.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:37 AM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
I don't know, but buying a brand new sports car that you can actually drive to work every day. That is capable of speeds close to, if not north of, 200 mph, and still get 25mpg on premium pump gas, all for a price well under the $100K mark, then b****ing about the seats ...is about the equivilant of winning the lottery and then complaining about paying taxes on it. JMHO

I also must disagree with your statement. The seats, sterring wheel and quality of leather and vinyl used by Chevy in the C6 is crap. My 2010 GS vert 4LT stickered for almost 75K...that is not cheap. Many cars for less money have far superior interiors and more supportive seats. Almost every review of the C5 & C6 has said that all of the above is a major sore spot. Furthermore, it would not add much more to the list of the car to make these improvements. Just look at the CTS-V for 65K and you will know what i am saying. And you can bet that the C7 will have a vastly improved interior because Chevy knows it has to be done.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:43 PM
GS-Zero
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Jinx
I don't know, building a sports car that does so many difficult things so well, and then putting in seats with ****-poor lateral support, and turning a deaf ear to years of complaints from the press and customers alike... is about the equivalent of leading LeMans for 23 hours and then wandering off for pancakes.
LOL
Old 02-08-2011, 02:18 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,836 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
And you can bet that the C7 will have a vastly improved interior because Chevy knows it has to be done.
I really hope they finally get the message this time. Honestly, you think they would have figured it out for the C6. If they don't make a major interior overhaul for the C7 it becomes obvious that they'll never put any thought into the interior the way their competitors do.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:44 PM
carboman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my C6 but the interior is one area GM really needs to improve. I bought my daughter a Kia Forte Koup and the seats, sound system and controls are nicer than my Vette and it came with standard blue tooth that took all of 10 seconds to sync to a phone without reading the owners manual. It's time GM set up and do it right, THE FIRST TIME!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:03 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,836 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by carboman
I love my C6 but the interior is one area GM really needs to improve. I bought my daughter a Kia Forte Koup and the seats, sound system and controls are nicer than my Vette and it came with standard blue tooth that took all of 10 seconds to sync to a phone without reading the owners manual. It's time GM set up and do it right, THE FIRST TIME!
WOW, it's sad if someone is saying a Kia has a nicer interior than a Corvette.

GM, are you listening?
Old 02-09-2011, 07:06 AM
carboman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BMadden
WOW, it's sad if someone is saying a Kia has a nicer interior than a Corvette.

GM, are you listening?
I was shocked by the Koup's interior as well as the overall car. I gave my daughter a budget for a car and she made up the list of what she wanted to look at and we went to look at them all. I figured we'd take a look at Koup and move on to something else. Once we saw and drove it there was no contest.

I think GM listens but does not "get it". When people first complained about the interior of the C6 they responded by offering an upgrade package but it's nothing more than more leather and some contrasting colors. It does nothing to enhance the seats and the color choices seem drab. They should look at what companies like Down South Vettes are doing with custom interiors. Their work is beautiful and indicative of what owners are looking for. The base seats need to be much firmer, more supportive and should have a provision for competition harnesses. There should also be a seat upgrade option like a Recaro or similar seat and finally the ZR1 should certainly get something special. I've spoken to several non Corvette sports car lovers that say they love the ZR1 but can't get past the "Colbalt quality" interior at that price level.

Last edited by carboman; 02-09-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by carboman
I think GM listens but does not "get it".
At this year's Corvettes@Carlisle I went into the GM tent to talk to the Corvette Design Team. I asked who can I talk to about the interior? This guy said I work on the interior.

My first question was "Do you know any history of the Corvette" How can you offer a red or two-tone red interior that doesn't match a red exterior car? I would think after the 1997-99 Corvettes and all the complaints you got, you would never make the same mistake again?

The answer I got was well it matches the Crystal Red. I told this guy who ever is picking your interior colors should be fired!!!

Second question. Why does a ZR-1 buyer who wants red interior have to take a 1ZR package? We don't offer a leather wrap interior in red.

If GM wants to sell Corvettes they need to hire some long time Corvette repeat buyers to tell them what works and what doesn't.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:29 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^^ Actually that says it all right there for the most part. While I think they need some repeat buyers feedback I think they need even more from those that have considered, but never bought one. What I do agree with, is that their logic is Just that, its GM logic which leaves a lot of buyers confused. Never good for business. GM has gotten to the point with corvettes that they are basically telling people what to buy, instead of asking. The interior colors are almost all low key colors that I assume they think most buyers considered upscale colors. To me they look horribly boring. Brown, beige, grey, black, and occasionally red?!? Mercedes offered the same shades sort of in their older slk cars. But the few that had red interior made me think if I ever looked at one I wouldn't get an interior in any other color. It was their sports car, give it a sporty interior! I don't care your Mercedes or any expensive car. I bought a sports car because I didn't want luxury out the wazoo, i wanted an aggressive feel. My guess is that GM thinks its potential buyers look at red(how about something finally cool, like color matched orange, yellow, or blue? Look at a new gto interior as a target) as a boy racer color not fit for an upscale car. Well GM, some of us did buy these cars to truly go fast and the exterior, as well as interior, better look aggressive to me.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:38 AM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its quality -- My C6 is cheap plain and simple when you get in. The plastic pin
in the auto trans shifter broke on the way home. Had to be towed back. They
replaced it broke again towed back. Number 3 put in and told they
left it loose but do not move the shifter back or forward quickly. Move it one select
at a time so can click in. Its just feels like a cheap car. Seldom drive the
car anymore. Somethings been wrong with the auto/lock unlock for 3 years they
can't fix so get out sometimes and won't open.

order factory new, so not a second hand model either

My BMW's just feel like a solid built car. Rather drive them anyway.

Last edited by texvette2; 02-20-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I also must disagree with your statement. The seats, sterring wheel and quality of leather and vinyl used by Chevy in the C6 is crap. My 2010 GS vert 4LT stickered for almost 75K...that is not cheap. Many cars for less money have far superior interiors and more supportive seats. Almost every review of the C5 & C6 has said that all of the above is a major sore spot. Furthermore, it would not add much more to the list of the car to make these improvements. Just look at the CTS-V for 65K and you will know what i am saying. And you can bet that the C7 will have a vastly improved interior because Chevy knows it has to be done.

My CTS-V is proof that GM can make an interior. But until they put a decent interior and seats in a Corvette, I won't be replacing my C5 anytime soon. My C5 isn't any better, but at least it's paid for.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:04 PM
kylebuck89
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

well its no c4 by any stretch .
Old 02-23-2011, 03:36 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I just bought a 2011 Silverado.....nicer interior than the new Vettes I looked at....

Old 02-24-2011, 03:13 PM
tractman
Drifting

Received 945 Likes on 414 Posts

At Carlisle last summer I did ever thing but get down on my knees and beg for better seats and TORCH RED interior! I was nice...did not yell, scream or swear. I've been into Corvettes since 1957 but I don't guess I impressed them! They were polite and listened. I'm really frustrated....I love my C6....that is everything but the inside!
Old 02-24-2011, 04:59 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

I was thinking about the seats yesterday as i drove my 2010 GS 4LT convertible over a twisty canyon. As posted before, i hate the seats and quality of all of the material used in the interior, including the cheap cheesy grainy leather in the 4LT package, the cheesy vinyl, the awful looking nav unit and the parts bin stering wheel. Then it hit me. One of the main problems with the seats...a problem that causes drivers to slide in the seats, is not just the poor design, but also the thin, ultra smooth slippery leather. The quality is so poor compared to the leather used in almost every other sports car, no matter what the price. Chevy needs a smooth leather, yes...but a thicker, higher quality leather that is not so highly polished. Check out the leather in any european car...that is what is needed and, hopefully, we will see it in the C7.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:15 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

I was thinking about the seats yesterday as i drove my 2010 GS 4LT convertible over a twisty canyon. As posted before, i hate the seats and quality of all of the material used in the interior, including the cheap cheesy grainy leather in the 4LT package, the cheesy vinyl, the awful looking nav unit and the parts bin stering wheel.
I'll spend an additional $50,000 on my next sports car that equals the ratty Vettes performance to get a decent interior!

I should have known better than to buy a simple entry level GM car like a Chevrolet.

Tom

Last edited by TCW; 02-24-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:52 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I still think the C5 has a better interior than the C6. It has less of a painted plastic look to it. The Corvette group thinks the 4LT fixed the bad interior situation. I disagree. Just putting leather on a bad design, is like putting lipstick on a pig.

As far as Camaro sales cannibalizing Corvette sales, that can be somewhat confirmed if Corvette Convertible sales held up better than Coupe sales, since there was no Camaro convertible last year. Also with the bad economy, Corvette sales were bound to drop, and perhaps lower priced Camaros kept GM from losing sales altogether.

One of Chevy's strengths has been building a practical, well priced sports car. I would love to see what they could do with a rear mid-engined design. I think they could really turn some heads.

Michael

Get notified of new replies

To 2013 Vette Update info out of Bowling Green

Old 03-02-2011, 08:19 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Thoughts from Down Under

G'day,

I have read all of the above comments and have to agree with many of them, bearing in mind the distance I am from the rest of you. But last November I rode shotgun with Solid LTI from Las Vegas to Fremont in his '08 Z06 and have to say the seats were OK. OK but not great.

However, in December just gone I purchased a new Holden Cruze for AU$22,000 that had, if anything, a more comfortable interior. This car is basically a Right Hand Drive version of the Chevrolet Cruze that I saw at the San Francisco Motor Show in November. The car is made in South Korea, but Holden is now building them in its Adelaide plant, alongside the Holden Commodore.

The Cruze has features like auto up and auto down windows that apparently the Corvette doesn't and all up, makes it an incredible deal at less than half the price of a Corvette. Surely these features don't cost a fortune and it's amazing that a top line car like the Corvette doesn't have them.

If GM really want to sell more Corvettes, they have to listen to the people who drive them and who, one day, will have to decide which car will they buy to replace their Corvette. Hopefully it will be a new Corvette, but not if the buyer decides that the Corvette has fewer features and is not up to the standard of the competition.

And don't get me started on Right Hand Drive Corvettes. When EVERY OTHER CAR MANUFACTURER in the world except Ford and GM of America builds cars with RHD as well as LHD, is it any wonder that GM is having problems selling cars?

In Australia, I can buy Dodge Nitros, Jeeps, Audis, Ferraris, Porsches, Beemers, Mercs, you name it, all built RHD in the factory. There are even a few Companies in Australia buying brand new Corvettes and Camaros and CONVERTING them to RHD. Sit down before you read the following, but the Camaros are selling for over US$100,00 and the Corvettes for over US$150,000!!!!!!!!

A friend of mine in Melbourne is the Callaway agent for Australia and has the very first, factory authenticated and plated, supercharged RHD Callaway Corvette in his possession, and the price is north of two hundred large!! But there are people here who are prepared to pay this sort of money just to be able to own AND drive a new Corvette/Camaro.

If GM were to build these cars RHD and sell them through Holden dealerships, the cars would be way cheaper and there would be long queues outside any Holden dealer who had them for sale.

GM, are you listening?????

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
Old 03-03-2011, 05:33 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Default 2013 C7 in 2012 could mark the 50th Anniv of the Icon '63 SWC

Seats can be a quick fix tweak by adopting the former Viper Gen-3 Vendor that supplied them. They'd be happy to pick up where Viper left off. Other vendors are ready to compete. If it costs more charge more. But 4LT prices won't work. Have not studied Audi that was talked about but I bet it's top notch inside. Did see one Audi at night that was gray or silver w/a bold bright red interior that looked super. The wife's new Benz has a unique, well designed sports steering wheel that would please most of us. Why re-invent the wheel? How abt carbon fiber for forward console. Loved my CFFC mod in C5. That brushed OEM stuff is so tacky. And replace those wimpy seat belts. Use digital, large number readouts on the dash. Heads up is innovative but readout's need improvement by going large solo. How about offering a/c seats for the sizzler states! Heated seats in FL are useless. C5 int was better. C4 int was best. Get the path you're on GM?

On the 3-year run C7 discussion...that plays into the de-tune for the C7 after 3 yrs. So early C7 could be the last gen of large HP and a great seller for that reason alone. Square away the interior and it will be a clincher.

Since Camaro's ZL1 w/550HP has been announced by GM for Jan '12 release, I'd like to see ZL1 introduced as the base engine for C7 w/A6 option. If HP must go due to fuel standards then to go out w/a bang. Much like < the transition in the early 70's when mandated standards changed everything. Sounds like fuel economy standards may be the driving force for an all new C8 and therefore a short run of the C7 ? Maybe the last year C7 will feature a de-tuned to pave the way for C8's future. Just speculation but it makes some sense.

And remember GM...beauty, elegance, performance & function are the key words for R&D (include interior on all four).
Be innovative...We landed on the moon in one decade. You did the same once coming from a '53 to '63.

Kick butt and get the right team together to make it all happen again. Do the Split for one year and it's a buy if done right

Last edited by cor28vettes; 03-07-2011 at 03:45 AM. Reason: tweaks, same as the new GM should be doing
Old 03-03-2011, 11:27 AM
Curtis A. Franz
Drifting

The C2 was the first of independent rear suspension...no relation to the C1 solid axle.

Quick Reply: 2013 Vette Update info out of Bowling Green