Mark Reuss on C7 - autoline daily snippet

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 01:59 PM
vetteb_96C
Pro

Received 270 Likes on 121 Posts

Default Mark Reuss on C7 - autoline daily snippet

Mark Ruess on the next Corvette (C7).

• Will take the design of the car to a completely new place.
• Performance will be unlike what anyone else is doing.
• There will be a portfolio of Corvettes to appeal to more people.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:25 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure I'm a big fan of a car that appeals to "more people". The Honda Accord and Toyota Camry appeals to more people. I would prefer the Corvette to be more single purpose.

The reference to performance is nonsense. No one else makes performance?

The design of the car will NOT be a major change from the C6. We know that. The C7 will not be a mid-engine completly new design. The body may have a totally new look.

All-in-all, Mark Ruess doesn't know what he's talking about. No wonder he spells his name with two ***.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:47 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,144 Likes on 541 Posts

I guess you know more than the President of GM North America.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:11 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
I guess you know more than the President of GM North America.
Thxs for the laughs.

I find Mr. Ruess to be genuine and if he announced it...... It will awesome.

Performance unequaled .... He also has a future autoline Detroit show that will be sure to watch.

John McElroy's autoline network of shows are impressive and reputable.

FWIW I hold high regard for Mr Ruess as well.

The next Vette will be the best yet.

I know I willenjoy the release as it becomes a reality. JB

Last edited by JerriVette; 03-18-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,376 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure I'm a big fan of a car that appeals to "more people". The Honda Accord and Toyota Camry appeals to more people. I would prefer the Corvette to be more single purpose.

The reference to performance is nonsense. No one else makes performance?

The design of the car will NOT be a major change from the C6. We know that. The C7 will not be a mid-engine completly new design. The body may have a totally new look.

All-in-all, Mark Ruess doesn't know what he's talking about. No wonder he spells his name with two ***.
The statements are purosely upbeat and vague.

Perhaps by "a portfolio of Corvettes to appeal to more people" he means a lower content, lower price model or a mild hybrid higher mileage model, and perhaps a even more track oriented model of the Z06 or a more luxurious interior above the 4LT. It doesn't imply Camry type appeal.

"Performance will be unlike what anyone else is doing" may mean it will not be exactly the same as anyone else. So what could be true of any car if you measure precise enough. Or maybe they are achieving higher lateral numbers, or more compliance with less lean, or high chassis stiffness.

Unless you are a part of the design and pre-production team you don't "know" anything. We have heard a lot of conflicting information, as always. First the car is mid-engined with the cockpit behind the engine. "Will take the design of the car to a completely new place" design in this context may be entirely about exterior look and interior look. It doesn't necessarily mean a new chassis or engine placement. Or maybe they are moving away from the transverse spring to coil overs or, or, or.......

I trust Mark Reuss to know more about the car than you do. I also trust he is trying to use a bit of hyperbole to create excitement. I would not expect someone in his position to say "Really, there are going to be superficial changes, no need to get excited or buy a new one if you have bought one in the last 15 years."
Old 03-18-2011, 11:20 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Very well said and very insightful too.

thanks
Old 03-18-2011, 09:30 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Terms of art

Originally Posted by vetteb_96C
Mark Ruess on the next Corvette (C7).

• Will take the design of the car to a completely new place.
• Performance will be unlike what anyone else is doing.
• There will be a portfolio of Corvettes to appeal to more people.
The problem isn't Mr. Ruess's knowledge or his candor or his integrity.

The problem is what do these words mean in the physical world.

I've heard similar words used to describe what I consider trival changes in the Corvette. Conversely, I've had to search deeply to find the details on what I consider very important changes in the Corvette.

I suspect, Mr. Ruess's comments on new place refer to styling. Performance unlike what anyone else is doing refers to the new combustion process that GM is touting for the new generation engine. Portfolio refer's to a Porche like variety of packages that are premimum priced. I believe GM is envious of what Porsche can charge for their special models and for what Porsche can charge for upgrades to the interior.

When all is said and done, we will all look at the same changes and place our own value on their importance. The change that counts most is that one which opens the pocketbook.

All Corvette buyers are not the same. The C5 expanded the Corvette market to include some very non traditional buyers (people who bought C4 and previous Corvettes). The new generation of buyers (mostly C5 and C6 buyers) include some very non traditional buyers. These new buyers have some very strong notions about reliability and dependability which are taken as a given, and a type of style that is an attractor.

IMO, the performance bang per buck would keep the traditional buyer, while style would attract the new buyer.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:56 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

I was out of line with my reference to Mr Ruess' name. After rereading the posts I realize he can only offer general guidelines that could mean anything.

I'm awaiting patiently and with great anticipation for the arrival of the C7.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:51 PM
americanretrodave
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There wasn't one thing mentioned about a C7 at the GM's SEMA Show display this last November; they had the SSR and the Camaro all over their display years before they were released to the public. I would think that if the C7 was anywhere close or anything more concrete than conceptional ideas, there would have been something there.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:48 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Once I start to see "spy photos" I'll know it's in the works.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:15 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spy photos

Originally Posted by range96

Once I start to see "spy photos" I'll know it's in the works.
All the mechanical items for the C7 can be tested on a C6 or C6 look alike.

Much of the aero work can be done via CFD and wind tunnel models.

The only thing to "spy" is the styling of the exterior.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:47 PM
americanretrodave
Racer

Personally, I would be surprised if we saw a C7 offered to the public prior to 2016...
Old 03-20-2011, 11:58 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,837 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by americanretrodave
Personally, I would be surprised if we saw a C7 offered to the public prior to 2016...
I think you'll be seeing spy shots of the C8 by then. There will be a C7 to commemorate the Corvette's 60th Anniversary in 2013....I'd almost guarantee it!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:38 AM
americanretrodave
Racer

BMadden wrote: I think you'll be seeing spy shots of the C8 by then. There will be a C7 to commemorate the Corvette's 60th Anniversary in 2013....I'd almost guarantee it!
You have a lot more faith in GM than I. I think the 60th Anniversity addition, if they have one, will be a special paint jobbed C6 as GM did for their 50th. And trust me, you won't be seeing a C8 to well past 2020.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:46 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,144 Likes on 541 Posts

There wasn't one thing mentioned about a C7 at the GM's SEMA Show display this last November; they had the SSR and the Camaro all over their display years before they were released to the public. I would think that if the C7 was anywhere close or anything more concrete than conceptional ideas, there would have been something there.
Nope.....not if they're still trying to sell the remaining 2011's and the upcoming 2012. It would be pretty stupid to reveal the new car and kill current sales, which are already in the toilet. The new Camaro was a different story....there was no previous car for the new car to hurt in the way of sales.

I'm guessing the production numbers of the 2012 will be even lower than 2011 as they redo the factory with new tooling for the 2013 C7. I suspect we'll start seeing spy photos of mules as the hot weather test vehicles roll out this summer.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:50 AM
americanretrodave
Racer

I'm guessing the production numbers of the 2012 will be even lower than 2011 as they redo the factory with new tooling for the 2013 C7. I suspect we'll start seeing spy photos of mules as the hot weather test vehicles roll out this summer.
So would I, but I'd place most of the blame for lack luster sales on the recession and raising fuel prices. I would guess GM will be doing the same. We can speculate on what GM is thinking, maybe they feel a minor facelift is in order or maybe they feel, as I do, the Vette is at a crossroad, who really knows? All the rules that got us to this point are changing and I believe GM is well aware of that.

Personally, I think what will get people back into the showrooms are 50 plus mpg, high tech, vehicles that offer style, comfort and performance. Where the C7 fits into that, I don't know.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:58 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Nope.....not if they're still trying to sell the remaining 2011's and the upcoming 2012. It would be pretty stupid to reveal the new car and kill current sales, which are already in the toilet. The new Camaro was a different story....there was no previous car for the new car to hurt in the way of sales.

on all counts.

Get notified of new replies

To Mark Reuss on C7 - autoline daily snippet

Old 03-21-2011, 11:27 AM
zland
Drifting

Received 608 Likes on 191 Posts

So would I, but I'd place most of the blame for lack luster sales on the recession and raising fuel prices. I would guess GM will be doing the same. We can speculate on what GM is thinking, maybe they feel a minor facelift is in order or maybe they feel, as I do, the Vette is at a crossroad, who really knows? All the rules that got us to this point are changing and I believe GM is well aware of that.

Personally, I think what will get people back into the showrooms are 50 plus mpg, high tech, vehicles that offer style, comfort and performance. Where the C7 fits into that, I don't know.
The Corvette is a flagship car. The point is to pull people into GM showrooms & due to price & being a 2 seater, they know sales will never be too high.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:24 PM
americanretrodave
Racer

I agree with a lot of what has been said above, but things change. Since the C6 was introduced, we’ve had a bad recession and we’ve seen fuel costs go to new heights with most experts expecting even higher prices to come. We had a similar situation in the early 70’s when the insurance companies got fed up with the high performance cars and wouldn’t insure them. Consequently, hp went out the window and most high performance models either disappeared or were turned into something they were never originally intended. Look at what happened to the Corvette during that period. The high performance motors were no more and GM kept that body style way too long. The party was over, the band had packed up and went home and GM was in a hang around mode humming the tunes. It was a sad time for the Corvette but it was a very real time for what was happening in this Country. One could argue that we have a similar situation now, only different and possibly more severe conditions. Consequently, I expect GM will milk the C6 for as long as they can and work on what they know they need right now. It’s just my opinion and I’m sure I’m in a minority. But when you see a special edition C6 to commemorate Corvette’s 60th year, think about this thread.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:46 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Consequently, I expect GM will milk the C6 for as long as they can and work on what they know they need right now. It’s just my opinion and I’m sure I’m in a minority. But when you see a special edition C6 to commemorate Corvette’s 60th year, think about this thread.
A 2013 C6 would put the 6th generation in production for 9 years. In this day and age that is far too long to go without change. The 'Vette is due(or overdue) for a re-design and there would be no better time to introduce a completely new car than the 60th anniversary of the marque.

Quick Reply: Mark Reuss on C7 - autoline daily snippet