Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 10:25 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by range96
I hope GM makes the clutch replacement/service a little easier.
Heh. As long as the manual transmission exists and sits in the rear with the clutch up front, the clutch changes will be done via automotive proctology.

jas
Old 04-13-2011, 02:00 PM
Kurac
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dfarese
Dude you wanted Facts I gave you facts, And you gave me back Excuses

Your ZR1 loses hands down, 0-60, 1/4 mile, and track. But after the GTR smokes you, you can tell him "well I pulled a better Lateral acceleration than you."

If you have Creditable facts showing the ZR1 beating the GTR in any competition, 0-60, 1/4 mile, or track, please enlighten us all.

Being a Vette fan, I would Love for the ZR1 to win.
Most races occur in Mexico from a 50-60 roll, and the Nissan would lose. It would have its hands full with a Z06 as well. To most people, that's all that matters....not 0-60 or 1/4 mile. At the end of a 60-150 roll race when the GTR loses, at least he can quote his superior 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:06 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
How many AWD Lambos do you see out in the ice and snow? How about in predicted severe thunderstorms or hurricanes? I never see them out in those conditions. The few times I have seen pictures of it, it usually involves a them being buried in a snow bank. Something about AWD not improving braking or allowing one to deny the laws of physics.

Well I know of one that gets out in the metroplex in all conditions.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:55 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Based on how clean that car is my guess is that it got caught in the snow, not driven in snow.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:56 PM
dfarese
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ladimer
Most races occur in Mexico from a 50-60 roll, and the Nissan would lose. It would have its hands full with a Z06 as well. To most people, that's all that matters....not 0-60 or 1/4 mile. At the end of a 60-150 roll race when the GTR loses, at least he can quote his superior 0-60 and 1/4 mile times.
Maybe if you read the entire post you would see I put down track times also, and GTR won. Even posted a video from Nurburgring, so I guess GTR won at everything.

and your right 1/4 miles aren't important, only whatever you can find ZR1 wins in. oh which is Lateral acceleration.

I hope the ZR1 can beat it, I love the ZR1. But once again, I don't care about your opinion or excuses, I would like to see facts.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:02 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
Based on how clean that car is my guess is that it got caught in the snow, not driven in snow.
look at the tire tracks behind the car in the snow.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:09 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

I think someone needs to tell all those professional and amatuer racers that thier 1/4 mile track racing is worthless. 1/4 mile is very important for any car that is claiming power. I for one want a car that is fast from a stop to about a 1/4 mile as thats what is mostly done with it when playing around.

All cars are built to hit on a specific group of people. I think the ZR1 is more for the older, conservative people that still want to claim power when they want, and the GT-R is for the ones that are younger and more tech oriented and want to use the power all the time in every day places. Both are great cars and accomplished thier goal of clientel thay wanted. I love my vette but I do give props to Nissan for thier Z cars and GT-R cars. I think the next Z car is going to up there with the new stang as the 370 would beat the older model stangs before the new one came out.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:15 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

I have mixed feelings on this. I do not want to see the Corvette go the way of Ferrari and be offered only with a puss-o-matic (call it what you wish, the DCT IS an automatic IMO). If it doesn't have a true manual gearbox, I'm not interested. I know the DCT can shift faster, blah blah blah, but I don't care. Don't want.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:16 PM
dfarese
Pro

Originally Posted by S'vette
I think someone needs to tell all those professional and amatuer racers that thier 1/4 mile track racing is worthless. 1/4 mile is very important for any car that is claiming power. I for one want a car that is fast from a stop to about a 1/4 mile as thats what is mostly done with it when playing around.

All cars are built to hit on a specific group of people. I think the ZR1 is more for the older, conservative people that still want to claim power when they want, and the GT-R is for the ones that are younger and more tech oriented and want to use the power all the time in every day places. Both are great cars and accomplished thier goal of clientel thay wanted. I love my vette but I do give props to Nissan for thier Z cars and GT-R cars. I think the next Z car is going to up there with the new stang as the 370 would beat the older model stangs before the new one came out.
Although I do believe ZR1 is for all ages and for Performance enthusiasts, BUt it needs to take some points from the GTR, that HP isn't everything, thats why I hope with the C7 they beat the GTR.

Imagine a C7 with corvette HP & styling, and GTR Tech, that would be the ultimate.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:20 PM
dfarese
Pro

Originally Posted by ANTIVNOM
I have mixed feelings on this. I do not want to see the Corvette go the way of Ferrari and be offered only with a puss-o-matic (call it what you wish, the DCT IS an automatic IMO). If it doesn't have a true manual gearbox, I'm not interested. I know the DCT can shift faster, blah blah blah, but I don't care. Don't want.
I can't wait for DCT, it's the best and best for racing, thats why corvette put it in their race cars. But don't worry they will always offer Manual stick. They will most likely just replace automatic with DCT.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:54 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by dfarese
I can't wait for DCT, it's the best and best for racing, thats why corvette put it in their race cars.
Actually, no they didn't. You're confusing technologies here. Corvette has always had a sequential gear box which is not the same as a DCT. What they were allowed to add this year are paddles for shifting. But the paddles are still driving the same sequential 6-speed transmission. That race car transmission will not find its way into a production vehicle. Way too heavy and too noisy for road use.

jas
Old 04-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Tony B4
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by HarryWild
I think it about time; since most Europoean supercars have had it for around 5 years. Porsche was the first that I know of. Now Ferrari has all it cars with DCT.

I hope GM's DCT is a copy of Ferrari's. That would be super sweet. If the rumors are true; I may buy the ZR1 since it would be extreme nice to drive with out the third pedal getting in the way of driving in any condition.

Comments?
It would be the best thing that ever happened to the Corvette.

Out with the "old" rowing the gears like the stone ages, in with the"new" quicker and faster way of doing things!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:36 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

one thing I did read about the new GTR is that after 4 hard launches, it will have to cruise for 1.5 miles before it can launch again. I guess they are trying to keep it from getting to heat soaked or something and messing it up. They are very controlling of the GTR from what I hear but its a fast car that I would love to feel on launching. I guess I have to do some NTC rotations and/or a deployment to get me some serious OT (44 OT hrs a week when doing this) and save for the SC.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:21 AM
dfarese
Pro

Originally Posted by jvp
Actually, no they didn't. You're confusing technologies here. Corvette has always had a sequential gear box which is not the same as a DCT. What they were allowed to add this year are paddles for shifting. But the paddles are still driving the same sequential 6-speed transmission. That race car transmission will not find its way into a production vehicle. Way too heavy and too noisy for road use.

jas
Yeah your right, I meant to say the Paddles shifting, Got to excited about the technology
Old 04-14-2011, 12:27 AM
dfarese
Pro

one thing I did read about the new GTR is that after 4 hard launches, it will have to cruise for 1.5 miles before it can launch again. I guess they are trying to keep it from getting to heat soaked or something and messing it up. They are very controlling of the GTR from what I hear but its a fast car that I would love to feel on launching. I guess I have to do some NTC rotations and/or a deployment to get me some serious OT (44 OT hrs a week when doing this) and save for the SC.
I never heard that before, I wonder if that is the version over in Japan, it has quite a few restrictions over their.

My buddy has a C6 twin turbo he did himself, he's pulling 64Rwhp and he can only get 0-60 in 3sec, which is fast as hell mind you, but thats alot of Modding and HP to get .1sec slower than the GTR. I think Chevy needs to work more on down-force, Traction, and maybe AWD. AWD might add some more weight, but look at the GTR, it sure has more pros than cons.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:34 AM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

My car has a launch mode only did once. It took off great but know it is a shock to the driveline even if my car doesn't limit it. Guess I should try more. But I am more of a corner fun person that just drag racing from a stand still. I have tracked manual cars and my paddle shift car. I love the paddle shift on the track, right foot gas left foot brake much better control.

And the DCT vs a standard paddles shift single clutch. Well we are talking maybe 0.1 second difference in a 1/4 mile. Is it really that big a deal? Is it worth the complexity of the system for .01 or .02 seconds a shift difference?
Old 04-14-2011, 01:02 AM
dfarese
Pro

Originally Posted by rgregory
My car has a launch mode only did once. It took off great but know it is a shock to the driveline even if my car doesn't limit it. Guess I should try more. But I am more of a corner fun person that just drag racing from a stand still. I have tracked manual cars and my paddle shift car. I love the paddle shift on the track, right foot gas left foot brake much better control.

And the DCT vs a standard paddles shift single clutch. Well we are talking maybe 0.1 second difference in a 1/4 mile. Is it really that big a deal? Is it worth the complexity of the system for .01 or .02 seconds a shift difference?
I think it's a bigger difference than ".01 or .02 seconds" It's a true Shift not an automatic shifting like whats in the Corvette now. Most people looking to win will take this technology. I don't want any lag in my shifts like they have in the paddle shifters they have now.

Get notified of new replies

To Rumor is that GM's Dual Clutch Transmission will in C7

Old 04-14-2011, 08:01 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,203 Posts

look at the tire tracks behind the car in the snow.
Yeah, it looks like the guy gave up and ditched it in a parking lot before calling a tow truck. On the other picture there was dry road behind and a light coating on the grass.

The reason you don't want to drive in the snow these cars is the summer performance tires and low ground clearance. The additional traction the AWD offers in acceleration is useless when you try to slow down and turn. You don't see these cars being driven around safely in snow. And why would you? That's what you have your pickup for.

I still say: DCT yes, AWD no
Old 04-14-2011, 09:24 AM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rgregory

R u sure its only .1? In my last Audi the difference between the DSG and the manual in the 0 60 was .2 and Im sure the 1/4 mile would be even more as I would still have several shifts to go.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:31 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by jvp
Corvette has always had a sequential gear box which is not the same as a DCT.
What I meant to say was Corvette Racing has always had a sequential.

jas

Quick Reply: Rumor is that GM's Dual Clutch Transmission will in C7