Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 4 wheel drive like Porche 911?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 09:29 AM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Default C7 4 wheel drive like Porche 911?

That would be cool, 650HP all wheel drive..
Old 07-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,376 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by minitech
That would be cool, 650HP all wheel drive..
If you want a Porsche or a Lamborghini, or a GT-R or a WRX buy one. Don't ask the Corvette to be one.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:47 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
If you want a Porsche or a Lamborghini, or a GT-R or a WRX buy one. Don't ask the Corvette to be one.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:23 PM
kp1a
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
I'm pretty sure that most people on this forum don't want to own a Porsche, they're here because they are Corvette fans. Porsche does do some things that broaden their market and GM would probably be able to do the same for the Corvette by adding features to the lineup. The 911 is currently offered in 23 trim levels compared to Corvette's 6. Adding AWD would bring in some buyers that may not have bought a Corvette without this. The same would be true for adding a 6 cyl or small 8, etc. These are options, not forced on you. The benefit being is that they move more vehicles, keeping the cost lower for all of us. I personally don't want those things, but I would be happy to see a broader Corvette lineup and higher sales.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:27 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kp1a
I'm pretty sure that most people on this forum don't want to own a Porsche, they're here because they are Corvette fans. Porsche does do some things that broaden their market and GM would probably be able to do the same for the Corvette by adding features to the lineup. The 911 is currently offered in 23 trim levels compared to Corvette's 6. Adding AWD would bring in some buyers that may not have bought a Corvette without this. The same would be true for adding a 6 cyl or small 8, etc. These are options, not forced on you. The benefit being is that they move more vehicles, keeping the cost lower for all of us. I personally don't want those things, but I would be happy to see a broader Corvette lineup and higher sales.
You would lose a ton of buyers going AWD too. But you guys never factor that in.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:38 PM
dfarese
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

All the top performers are AWD, so whats wrong with it? And if someone tells me weight again.......come on...
Old 07-23-2011, 09:50 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dfarese
All the top performers are AWD, so whats wrong with it? And if someone tells me weight again.......come on...
Funny, the Z06 and ZR1 aren't AWD and they are considered part of the top performers. Man you guys are smoking some good stuff.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:56 PM
dfarese
Pro

Originally Posted by JustinStrife
Funny, the Z06 and ZR1 aren't AWD and they are considered part of the top performers. Man you guys are smoking some good stuff.
So you think the Z06 & ZR1 Would be worse performers with AWD.

Bugatti Veyron
Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4
Porsche 911 Turbo S
Nissan GT-R

Yeah what Am I smoking
Old 07-23-2011, 09:57 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

So you think the Z06 & ZR1 Would be worse performers with AWD.

Bugatti Veyron
Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4
Porsche 911 Turbo S
Nissan GT-R

Yeah what Am I smoking
The Z06 and ZR1 ran faster lap times around the Ring, or haven't you heard?

Also, all but the GT-R cost WELL over 100k dollars. The Lamborghini several time that of the Zr1, and we won't even talk about the cost of the Bugatti Veyron.

Really, debating with you is far too easy.

Edit: Man my typing is all over the place tonight.

Last edited by JustinStrife; 07-23-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:00 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

There is no physical way for it to not cause weight gain over a car built the same way without it. It reqiuires more parts. And since almost all systems will channel 100% of the torque to the rear wheels the drive componets can't be lighter. The track 911's are not AWD. The top Ferrari sports cars are not AWD.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:05 PM
kp1a
Advanced

You would lose a ton of buyers going AWD too. But you guys never factor that in.
I think you missed the key word in there.....option.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:05 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

I think you missed the key word in there.....option.
That will NEVER happen with the Corvette.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

....... These are options, not forced on you. The benefit being is that they move more vehicles, keeping the cost lower for all of us. ...........
How many of the Posche 911 Turbo's are RWD drive?....... Only the top track car that costs more. So not really an option.

Which of the GT-R's are RWD? Which of the Lamborghini's are RWD? Only a single track model.

So most of the AWD models the AWD is sort of forced on you unless you want to buy the more expensive track model.

Once, they go down the AWD path it becomes about safety to protect us from ourselves so we have to have it. And it adds weight, reduces fuel mileage, and takes the edge off the handling.

I don't want it forced on me, and I don't want the RWD car compromised to accomodate the "option" of AWD.

The Corvette is profitable as it is, it will produce more sales and when the economy improves and the new generation comes out.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:17 PM
dfarese
Pro

The Z06 and ZR1 ran faster lap times around the Ring, or haven't you heard?

Also, all but the GT-R cost WELL over 100k miles. The Lamborghini several time that of the Zr1, and we won't even talk about the cost of the Bugatti Veyron.

Really, debating with you is far too easy.
Geez another Forum smart ***....your definitely turning out to be the cool guy in this forum.

All the other cars handle better in the corners, plus they launch much better than the Z06 or ZR1, Try looking at the benefit of all around performance, the Corvette can win at some and lose at others, but I would feel the AWD giving the Vette the added improvement to cornering and Launch would much benefit it compared to the extra weight it would acquire, especially since most of the other cars are much more heavy. The other cars are not more expensive because they have AWD, if you haven't figured that out.

Like you said, the GT-R is cheaper, also much much heavier and it only lost against the 2012 models, what happens when the GT-R brings their 2012 model or loses weight And most of it's amazing performance has to do with it's AWD system.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:03 PM
JuicedZ
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the Corvette brand is strong enough to be bothered to offer 23 trims. Offering A GT2/3, Turbo, C2, C2S, C4S, GTS, etc, etc is never going to happen. Porsche can do this because the brand is extremely profitable and revolves around the 911. I'm sure it would be neat, but personally, I like RWD. If, when, I buy a Porsche it will not be AWD. Plus, it's in Corvette DNA (FR RWD).
By the way, I work at a Porsche dealer. I make a living on Porsche.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:29 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Corvette with all wheels drive?

I really hope not...
Old 07-23-2011, 11:36 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

I'm pretty sure that most people on this forum don't want to own a Porsche, they're here because they are Corvette fans. .
So why make the Corvette into one?

Get notified of new replies

To C7 4 wheel drive like Porche 911?

Old 07-24-2011, 06:42 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I firmly belive the standard Vette should retain RWD, but...

Originally Posted by CPhelps
So why make the Corvette into one?
When Porsche added AWD to its 993 generation, it didn't become a Subaru. Likewise the Diablo when it gained AWD; it remained still very much a Lamborghini.

Originally Posted by JuicedZ
I don't think the Corvette brand is strong enough to be bothered to offer 23 trims. Offering A GT2/3, Turbo, C2, C2S, C4S, GTS, etc, etc is never going to happen. Porsche can do this because the brand is extremely profitable and revolves around the 911.
Could it not be argued that part of the reason why they have such a strong brand image and why they are extremely profitable is precisely because they offer so many variants and thus appeal to a wider audience than if they offered only 6 trim levels?
The prices of those models don't necessarily reflect the actual cost of making those variants (although Porsche will tell you every chance they get about extensive R&D, testing, etc). The initial costs (associated with testing and certification) are centered around initial, base models and the base engines. A GT2 RS is so expensive not because it is that much harder to make; it's that expensive because it's limited (500 units) and because Porsche know people are willing to pay it.
A Veyron is expensive because of some pretty insane performance targets (250+ mph, plus the durability to match, even in desert climates), which the Corvette doesn't have to deal with. On top of that, only 300 are made.

As for Corvette losing a ton of buyers if they adopt AWD...what if they gain a ton of buyers by having AWD? And if the base model retains RWD, that's a net gain of a ton of buyers who would otherwise not be adding to GM's coffers.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Brunotheboxer
Instructor

Only Corvette I would want has power to two wheels the way a true muscle car should be.

Next thing some will want is a vette that parallel parks itself.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:56 AM
KevinK
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche is an entire car brand, and the entire brand revolves around the 911. Every car porsche builds is based off the 911.

Corvette is a MODEL that the Chevy BRAND sells. No other car within the Chevy BRAND is based off of the corvette. Just because the new camaro has IRS, does NOT mean it's modeled after the vette.

Meaning, Chevy can't possibly make 23 trim levels with millions of options for one single CAR in it's line up. Again, Porsche can do this, because the 911 is the basis for ALL of it's cars. From a distance, you couldn't tell the difference between a 911, a Carrera, or even really the Boxter S, if your mother's life depended on it. Why? Because they are ALL based on the same model of car. It is both a huge positive, AND a negative. Dude spends 180,000 on a high end 911 turbo or GT2, only to have his car look REMARKABLY similar to a Carrera or Caymen. In essence, the entire BRAND of Porsche only really makes 4 different cars...the 911, the Boxter, the abysmal panamera, and the Cayan SUV. One entire company devoted to just 4 vehicles. They had damn well BETTER offer a cornucopia of trim levels and variations.

On the other hand, a dude that shells out the 40-50 grand for a vette need not fear that some other chevy rolling up is going to look even REMOTELY similar. No one, not even someone who is half blind, is going to mistake a Cobalt, Cruz, or Camaro, for a Vette. Period. And THAT is why it would cost GM a literal FORTUNE to adopt the Porsche business model.

Having said that, however, I think it would be FREAKING AWESOME if they did. People that can't afford the high end could by a Boxter version of the version, a smaller engined, maybe lighter weight car that's fun in the corners, but maybe lacks a bit of steam over long straights. Others who can afford it, can buy a "normal" vette, with a hosto of trim options. And then the Z06. As many different models of it as people could afford to dream about. From the standard, mid front mounted, RWD "911", all the way to some god forsaken exotic, pure race track version that costs a small fortune.

Quick Reply: C7 4 wheel drive like Porche 911?