Sponsored by:

Why the C7 Needs GM's Latest Infotainment System

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 08:32 AM
BobRBob
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
This is exactly why nobody but old farts and car dorks wants a Corvette.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:58 AM
BSSN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Speedo and tach NEED to be analogue so you can gauge rate of acceleration/increase/decrease in this vehicle better. Digital isn't as useful as sweeping needle.

Corvette needs something to help it keep up with all the other $30,000 cars out there in the interior department. Right now, the interior performance is around that of most low-end Kia's, and FAR below most cars in the mid/upper $20's.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:59 PM
ockie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BSSN
Speedo and tach NEED to be analogue so you can gauge rate of acceleration/increase/decrease in this vehicle better. Digital isn't as useful as sweeping needle.

Corvette needs something to help it keep up with all the other $30,000 cars out there in the interior department. Right now, the interior performance is around that of most low-end Kia's, and FAR below most cars in the mid/upper $20's.
Race gauges do not always have needles like you said, most are digital now.

Even the gauges of today, most are digital on a mechanical output.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:53 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a must if they want to attract the younger market. I am 25 and my phone integrates with almost everything (bank, home alarm, games, TV, social media, music, movies) It would be nice if it did the same with my car... Chevy is not stupid and we will at LEAST see this as a 4lt type option and at MOST see it be standard.

I subscribe to this 110% any if you don't then you are more than likely older. All I'm trying got say is this will without a doubt help Chevy accomplish their goal or attacking a younger audience.

I cant wait to see other people (developers) jail break this software and really find it's potential! Jesus I'm geeking the **** out! - It's a damn shame I have to wait...
Old 10-19-2011, 01:12 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Looks very nice and all, but.......really, configurable dash..how many times do you want to configure it....and then ooops reset and blank dash. Try using that screen when you are driving to switch a station or go to your ipod or xm or what ever.....very distracting while driving if not dangerous. i don't need to go deep into menus just to change a simple setting. Oh yeah, i wonder how good that works with gloves on. More gimmicks and stuff to get your money. They should invest in developing voice commands instead of this physical interface. Put the main buttons on the dash and have them not configurable. Is our attention span that bad that we need this stuff to keep us entertained. But this is where the evolution of the car is going.

I don't need to talk on the phone and do not need to look at a gps to know where i am going. But i guess the general population has too.

My .02.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:22 PM
JC7
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

The younger people love this new stuff, I don't I could care less, but I'm a old fart...
Old 10-19-2011, 01:44 PM
Kingsize
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

God I hope not. Take all this technical know how, use the engineering, time, & $$$, and spend it on Cabin structural-ability, engine, suspension, and drive-train. This will make a world class car even better. I want simple analog devices that can easily be replaced over time. Not digital ones that use technology that is obsolete within a few years, yet runs the entire functioning systems of the vehicle. That's just gimmicky stupid. A common problem among software engineers, design developers, & automotive engineers today is that they tend to over complicate EVERYTHING. Now all three will be balled into one. Seems to me that a mechanical engineer needs to be brought in to simplify all this, even if it is done on a consulting level. Corvette needs a simple Knowledge to Engineering Methodology to create what the masses want. Then they need a great advertising campaign to get people's asses in the seat.

Cliffs: Put the technology where it counts and keep the gimmicky "I've got an I-Pod - Look at me" technology out.

Last edited by Kingsize; 10-19-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:28 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingsize
God I hope not. Take all this technical know how, use the engineering, time, & $$$, and spend it on Cabin structural-ability, engine, suspension, and drive-train... Put the technology where it counts and keep the gimmicky "I've got an I-Pod - Look at me" technology out.
They did that for two generations, and while this gave us C5 and C6 owners great cars that we (mostly) love, it also generated a constant buzz of complaints about cheap interiors, crappy seats, and a lack of features in which real people find real utility on a daily basis and expect in their next car.

The KISS purists are greatly outnumbered by the people who want their driving and ownership experience to be rewarding even when they're not trying to shave seconds off their lap time. Corvette is not immune. Gotta take the bad with the good, I'm afraid.

.Jinx
Old 10-20-2011, 09:16 AM
BobRBob
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

Yup. You need both performance and luxury. One or the other isn't enough. And btw, GM doesn't necessarily get to just add the cost of a better interior and other convenience features to the price of the car. It should already have these things at today's prices.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:39 AM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

this is absolutely necessary. im my opinion needs to be standard. i cant stand seeing cars like the Ford Focus have these type of systems if the new Corvette doesnt.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Boo383
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

That looks very impressive, and I think it should be available in the Corvette!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:57 PM
Tonyman262
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default CUE = Corvette User Experience

As much as I love my 88 C4 & my 07 C6, I have to admit every corvette I've ever seen was pretty spartan on the inside. While the purist will say performance is the only thing that matters; if that's the case a Gremlin will get you to 99% of the places you need to get to.

But we all know there's getting there and then there's getting there.
My guess is the stock corvette coupe is more car than 85% of us NEED.

But we aren't talking need are we? We are talkin' corvettes.
With that being the case; I say we should also bring our baby into the current century as far electronics is concerned.

We now have a car that measures up to the Euros, and I don't mean just
"for the money". I mean in nearly every meaningful way, except maybe the interior.

Our current corvettes are world class in performance & looks; it could also use a few world class interior appointments, at least as options.

While I'm going to pass on the 2013 models, I've already got a head start on my 2014 war chest. Make mine artic white with the CUE option!

Besides, with two years to go, it's funny watching my adult son and daughter trying to be on their best behavior to get the 07.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:57 AM
camario
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i say the new technology would be good. when i first was looking at the c4 vettes, the technology in them was ahead of its time. my 89 vette has more advanced tech stuff then other cars of the same year. i think the performance aspect is most important, but newer tech stuff should be an option for those who desire it.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Tonyman262
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by camario
i say the new technology would be good. when i first was looking at the c4 vettes, the technology in them was ahead of its time. my 89 vette has more advanced tech stuff then other cars of the same year. i think the performance aspect is most important, but newer tech stuff should be an option for those who desire it.
When I said corvettes were spartan, I guess it's a matter of where you were when...
I didn't get that corvette brand new, as a matter of fact, I didn't even buy it.
I inherited it. I wasn't even into corvettes at the time. Actually, I was even into cars much. My back ground is electronics, from my U.S. Army days.

I'm from a time when the word "hacker" wasn't a bad word.
My world was Heath Kits and building my own electronis gear, including my first computer. I'm basically a fix-it kind of person. I admit I could be considered one of those nerd types, but I'm attracted to well working machines. Getting the C4 running again...well...it needed my help.

It must have been the process of restoring it in 2004-2005.
By that time, digital anything wasn't new. So I wasn't as impressed with the electronic dashboard or pop-up lights. It may have been the sound of the engine that got me.

But during the restore I became aware of corvette history in general, and this car in particular. I starting driving it and I got a chance to listen to several other corvette owners stories; within three years I bought my 07 C6.

Perhaps you're right, in its day the C4 was ahead of its time.
Adding CUE to the C7 won't make it ahead of its time when considering what Mercedes and Audi are doing. CUE will allow the C7 to keep up with the times.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

I find the emphasis on the "infotainment system" amusing. I mean do we need a dual screen rear seat dvd system too? Oh wait no rear seat... I guess it would be for the guys behind us.

Any true audiophiile knows there is no such thing a really accurate auto sound system. The acoustics of a a car are not built for it. the dimensions do not support low bass. It has highly reflective glass surfaces. Cars are acoustic crap. At best you can hope for a decent sounding system, with noise cancelling technology to drown out the road noise and exhaust sound.... oh wait I thought we liked the sound of the exhaust.... maybe some people should be buying Buicks or Cadillacs.

We do not need DVD systems. We don't need to surf the web. We do not need distractions to driving.

I can see a much higher Navigation system with a bigger higher resolution screen, and voice control and directions. Non-tactile "buttons" are not ideal for keeping you eyes on the road.

If it takes more than one second to ascertain what to do and do it, it doesn't need to be done while driving. Or it needs an interface change. I have some ideas if GM wants to contact me to buy them.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Non-audiophiles buy a lot more cars than audiophiles. And while acoustics in the car aren't ideal, they're often better environments in terms of consistency and listener position than people's homes. (Not audiophiles' listening rooms; real homes.)

People like the sound of the exhaust when they nail the throttle; most don't want to hear it all the time.

Drivers do not need DVD systems. Drivers don't need to surf the web. The thing is, some time is spent in the car not driving. One of the purposes of a car is to take you to a place that is not your home, even to places you've never been, and it can be quite convenient in a surprising number of situations if the car includes technology to inform or even (gasp) entertain the occupants. In fact, sometimes there's a person in the car who's not driving even when the car is moving, a fact with which some infotainment system designers struggle.

And, in CUE's case, controls include physically-distinct input points with haptic feedback. That's tactile. Some people would even make the case that a touchscreen interface where the inputs for a particular mode are in a predictable location (a certain distance from a particular edge) and provide haptic and/or audio and/or obvious immediate response to input are satisfactory for use without diverting one's eyeballs.

And more than a few people find voice control fundamentally unsatisfactory, particularly if they're not alone in the vehicle. Some would even say being forced to talk to the car to control it is more distracting than physical inputs. And some just think it's awkward and ridiculous.

But yeah, all the people in this thread arguing for seat-mounted screens for back seat passengers need to rethink their position.

.Jinx
Old 02-15-2012, 12:30 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
Non-audiophiles buy a lot more cars than audiophiles. And while acoustics in the car aren't ideal, they're often better environments in terms of consistency and listener position than people's homes. (Not audiophiles' listening rooms; real homes.)

People like the sound of the exhaust when they nail the throttle; most don't want to hear it all the time.

Drivers do not need DVD systems. Drivers don't need to surf the web. The thing is, some time is spent in the car not driving. One of the purposes of a car is to take you to a place that is not your home, even to places you've never been, and it can be quite convenient in a surprising number of situations if the car includes technology to inform or even (gasp) entertain the occupants. In fact, sometimes there's a person in the car who's not driving even when the car is moving, a fact with which some infotainment system designers struggle.

And, in CUE's case, controls include physically-distinct input points with haptic feedback. That's tactile. Some people would even make the case that a touchscreen interface where the inputs for a particular mode are in a predictable location (a certain distance from a particular edge) and provide haptic and/or audio and/or obvious immediate response to input are satisfactory for use without diverting one's eyeballs.

And more than a few people find voice control fundamentally unsatisfactory, particularly if they're not alone in the vehicle. Some would even say being forced to talk to the car to control it is more distracting than physical inputs. And some just think it's awkward and ridiculous.

But yeah, all the people in this thread arguing for seat-mounted screens for back seat passengers need to rethink their position.

.Jinx
Most non-audiophiles think that a sound system that is louder and has more bass is better. No needed for high quality to do that.

People who afford Corvettes most likely have iPhones, or Androids, or Tablets to entertain their passengers or when they are stopped. Why pay for it twice.

Voice activation is the future, get with the times. For touchscreens by "feel" or memory of relative location will require larger "buttons" and less sensitivity. My non-technical wife has gotten used to and comfortable with talking both to her car and her phone to cause things to happen even with young kids in the car. Anybody can do it with good systems.

It's a sports car and not meant to be an amusement park. It it is only meant to be a rollercoaster!

Infotainment systems are for SUVs and minivans. Maybe sedans. Sports cars are meant to be their own entertainment!

Get notified of new replies

To Why the C7 Needs GM's Latest Infotainment System

Old 02-15-2012, 04:25 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it looks sweet but might be a pain in the *** to use. I can just see the future Corvette Forum threads about frustrated CUE users.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:05 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I would like the C7 to have Cadillac's Cue system.

I would also like its interior benchmarked to, and in some cases better than the industry standard -- an Audi interior. Thankfully GM has committed that the C7 will meet or exceed the Audi interior standard.

Looking forward to all the above and more.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:55 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
I would like the C7 to have Cadillac's Cue system.
Yes, but please keep it optional, not standard.
Sometimes less is more.
I don't need navigation, I don't need my dashboard to tell me which restaurants are good or not and I don't need a slide out espresso machine in my high speed sports car either LOL.

Me personally, I need a few FM stations and a single disc CD player that sounds 'good', that's it LOL.

Quick Reply: Why the C7 Needs GM's Latest Infotainment System