Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NPP - what does it give for $1200??

Old 05-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Location: Detroit area and Nashville area What day is it? Between MI & TN
Received 58 Likes on 38 Posts

Default NPP - what does it give for $1200??

Help me understand what this option really gets me:

NPP Exhaust System Performance $1,195.00

I am looking at a Z51 coupe, manual, 2LT. What does this give me over the 'stock' exhaust for $1200?

So, it has 4" tips instead of 3.5" - what else of meaning?

Does the stock exhaust have a variable sound level setting, does this give me more choice, is it louder / more aggressive, any idea on what limited HP/TQ to look for from it?

Why would I do this option instead of a Corsa Extreme or Billy Boat?

I put Billy Boats on my BMWs and 2 chamber Flowmasters on everything else that's V-8 and American - so I know loud / aggressive when I hear it. How would the NPP compare?

I would hate to order this and then replace it with a $1500 BB or Corsa within three weeks of getting the car.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:32 PM
flange
Team Owner

Received 267 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

On the C6, it gives you the option of a really refined, quiet car, verses the louder exhaust when you hit the throttle. Or, if you bypass it or buy the various mods, the choice of when you want them open or closed.

What it does for me is to keep peace in my development. Where I live, its really quiet. I mean pin drop at night. I can hit the button on the mtw and have the valves closed while driving through on my way in or out, then once I get to the main road, open the valves and let the ls7 talk to me. I can also close them at will as desired.

The aftermarket exhausts, in general are one way or another.

On the C7, its supposed to be changeable on about five settings based upon driving and your likes I think. to me, its was worth the extra Gee.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:35 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Be Quick Racing
Help me understand what this option really gets me:

NPP Exhaust System Performance $1,195.00

I am looking at a Z51 coupe, manual, 2LT. What does this give me over the 'stock' exhaust for $1200?

So, it has 4" tips instead of 3.5" - what else of meaning?

Does the stock exhaust have a variable sound level setting, does this give me more choice, is it louder / more aggressive, any idea on what limited HP/TQ to look for from it?

Why would I do this option instead of a Corsa Extreme or Billy Boat?

I put Billy Boats on my BMWs and 2 chamber Flowmasters on everything else that's V-8 and American - so I know loud / aggressive when I hear it. How would the NPP compare?

I would hate to order this and then replace it with a $1500 BB or Corsa within three weeks of getting the car.
Electronically controlled butterfly valves that regulate exhaust flow depending on engine RPMs. Ask C6 owners, or better yet, find C6s with and without and compare for yourself (local Corvette club maybe?).
Old 05-05-2013, 05:37 PM
jamesw95
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I loved it on my C6 with MTW. I would not buy another vette without it.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:42 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Right now the C7 NPP is estimated at +6 HP (per the Chief Engineer at the Bash), with actual numbers coming out within the next month.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

Thanks.

On BMWs you can do what is commonly called the 'golf tee' mod - you pull the vacuum line, shove a golf tee in it, and both mufflers are open all the time. It is a 'little' louder . I assume the 'mild to wild' mod I read about here lets you open / close with a remote. But, is it anywhere near the sound of a Corsa Extreme or BB when it's open?

So there are those who think they'll be arrested at any moment with the golf tee mod and there are those, like me, that are removing the resonators and putting on Billy Boats or Esienbach race systems.

I might be further off center than most but, I like louder / more aggressive exhaust all the time - not drone - but real idle by car alarm setting off rumble.

Does the stock setup give this option and the NPP is just a little more aggressive at full open?

Again, I am not concerned about getting a new C7 and then replacing half the exhaust with an aftermarket - I am more concerned about spending the money twice to get the aggressive sound.

Sorry for so many questions, but there are very few modded Corvettes around me. A ZR1 that is pushed in and out of the garage on nice days. A Z06 that idles by on it's monthly 5 mile cruise. A few stock C6's that are dead quiet. One C4 with an aftermarket exhaust - louder than stock, not as loud as my BMW, Mustangs, Challenger, or FFR Cobra by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited by Jack Be Quick Racing; 05-05-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

It gives GM the ability to lower the base price by $1200 without actually affecting the bottom line, because nobody wants to buy the wimpy-sounding Corvette.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:51 PM
flange
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '14

many c6 guys just pull the fuse. you could do the gold tee method.

This isn't about fear of being arrested, rather there are many reasons for doing things. As stated, I live in a very quiet hood. its a respect thing for me. When I leave sometimes at five or six am for a drive ot the beach, why do I have ot be that guy with the loud car. I close the valves and all is well. If I am coming home after dark, same thing. its actually a nice feature.

With the valves open, it gives a nice sound, with little drone if any at least in my car. it isn't about the added single digit horsepower, its really about my car sounding like the 500 horse corvette that it is. cops follow me sometimes, who cares they like ot look at cars too.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:54 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by flange
many c6 guys just pull the fuse. you could do the gold tee method.
Not in C7. Won't be vacuum powered----- electronic.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:05 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

There are a number of YouTube videos that demonstrate NPP with the Mild To Wild switch.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:15 PM
flange
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Not in C7. Won't be vacuum powered----- electronic.
did not know that. ok, then you can make a resistor network and drive them with a rheostat, lol. or just pull the wires.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:15 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The ability to have the car run quiet when appropriate and roar when you get on it.

It's minimal cost and integration into the corvette engineering are money well spent. Remember with AFM aftermarket exhausts will have extreme challenges to meet owners full expectations.

When i order a c7.... I will get NPP exhaust as well as z51, MRC and possibly the competition seat.

The only one I question would be the competition seat.

Being able to drive in stealth mode has a lot of advantages and then when the time is appropriate driving with a nice roar is awesome too. NPP gives you for 1200 dollars the duality of choice.

Leaving early in the morning or arriving home late I too do not want to be that guy ...and if I do...it's available with the NPP.

JmO

Last edited by JerriVette; 05-05-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:20 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
It gives GM the ability to lower the base price by $1200 without actually affecting the bottom line, because nobody wants to buy the wimpy-sounding Corvette.
Funny. I ordered mine with NPP. My dad optioned his out without it.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are going to replace the stock exhaust with BB or Corsa, then NPP is a waste.

BB has their fusion system which is essentially NPP.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:03 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by Matt26
If you are going to replace the stock exhaust with BB or Corsa, then NPP is a waste.

BB has their fusion system which is essentially NPP.
He NEEDS to listen to both before deciding or just go with his gut if he knows there is no way a factory exhaust will be as loud as he prefers.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Jack Be Quick Racing
Pro

yep - agree. I went to the NCM Bash but with all the rain I didn't really get so see / hear much from the cars there at all.

Thanks for all the info.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:52 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Thanks.

On BMWs you can do what is commonly called the 'golf tee' mod - you pull the vacuum line, shove a golf tee in it, and both mufflers are open all the time. It is a 'little' louder . I assume the 'mild to wild' mod I read about here lets you open / close with a remote. But, is it anywhere near the sound of a Corsa Extreme or BB when it's open?

So there are those who think they'll be arrested at any moment with the golf tee mod and there are those, like me, that are removing the resonators and putting on Billy Boats or Esienbach race systems.

I might be further off center than most but, I like louder / more aggressive exhaust all the time - not drone - but real idle by car alarm setting off rumble.

Does the stock setup give this option and the NPP is just a little more aggressive at full open?

Again, I am not concerned about getting a new C7 and then replacing half the exhaust with an aftermarket - I am more concerned about spending the money twice to get the aggressive sound.

Sorry for so many questions, but there are very few modded Corvettes around me. A ZR1 that is pushed in and out of the garage on nice days. A Z06 that idles by on it's monthly 5 mile cruise. A few stock C6's that are dead quiet. One C4 with an aftermarket exhaust - louder than stock, not as loud as my BMW, Mustangs, Challenger, or FFR Cobra by any stretch of the imagination.
I've had B&B's on three Corvettes and NPP's on a Z06 and a Z51 C6. The B&B's sound better, but the better they sound on Corvettes the more you will get resonance at cruise speeds. Some folks are okay with it and some are not. The NPPs have gotten better over the past three years, with the ZR1's sounding the best.

Obviously it is all relative. You won't know for sure until you hear them. But the advantage of being able to open and close them is worth a lot.

Get notified of new replies

To NPP - what does it give for $1200??

Old 05-06-2013, 09:54 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

The AFM will dictate that the exhaust on these cars will be really quiet so you don't hear 4 cyl mode. This means NPP will be more relevant on this car than previous generations.
That said, I'd personally skip it and get electric cutouts if I want to be heard. Much cheaper, and the potential to be louder. Have a buddy that has it on his GTO and it can be stock quiet all the way to NASCAR loud.

The alleged NPP hp increase is not worth the money. ~6 hp is within the tolerance of the engine spec so some C7 owner without it could still have a stronger car than you. Anyone have a comparison with a C6 on a dyno? Can the dyno even see this "6hp"? This is simply an option for more sound.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Thanks.

You are asking all of the questions that came up on the C6 in 08 when the NPP was offered on the base and Z51 cars for the same price. It quickly became one of the most popular options and people were buying Z06 mufflers with the same valves to update their older cars. The stock NPP was actually louder than the Z06 muffler. You really can't tell how loud a system is going to be when it is idling around town or the engine being winged in neutral. You have to be somewhere where the engine is being held wide open under load to hear the noise. My Z06 exhaust is loud when I hear the the reflected noise off the track guard rail to my left when I pull up the various hills and straights at the Glen. Even with the helmet on and a lot of foam between my ears and the noise it is loud.

I suspect the C7 will be similar to the C4, C5 and C6 and somewhat susceptible to exhaust drone around 1700 rpm under load on the highway. The aftermarket mufflers you mentioned don't dampen the drone and just let your skull vibrate. The NPP shuts the noise down so you can actually hear the radio and don't need a 10K watt amplifier to hear it over the exhaust noise.

Bill

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 05-06-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:16 PM
RMcoolX
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesw95
I loved it on my C6 with MTW. I would not buy another vette without it.
Ditto.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NPP - what does it give for $1200??