Sponsored by:

Interior design

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Interior design

Should the c7, feel inside like a luxury car or plain Jane to save weight? The materials I hope they use require less plastic, however, that probably won't happen because plastic saves weight. The interior materials have to resemble Audi, I noticed that the inside every material seems tight and sturdy. They design arguably the best interior out of any luxury car maker. Their layout works well with their pop up nav because it takes up less space on the dash. You guys and me included probably could care less, I'm just saying that could be a way to go. The nav has to be at least 8inches or bigger so you don't have to squint your eyes. The climate controls should be using buttons no touch sensitive buttons. In theory they sound good, but in practicality not so well while driving. Their should a nice digital screen for the dash displaying gas, speed, etc. If you get the nav their should be a program to track your lap times around a track like Daytona. The seats should be comfortable and light weight. Their should be three different modes cruise, sport, and track, one of the rumors already stated just pointing it out. What do guys think will happen?
Old 11-26-2011, 07:23 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Lightweight materials are fine, so long as they don't look or feel cheap. When it comes to the interior, save weight but not money. GM needs to go to excess, because we know they can't hit the target otherwise.

I think despite all the talk they will still come up short. Someone at GM has already said Corvette isn't getting a full CUE implementation. If that's true, they've failed.

If C7 is built with a world-class interior that I can't afford, I'll save up until I can.
If C7 is affordable with an interior that's behind-the-curve, I'll save up for something else.

Corvette is not practical transportation. If it's not aspirational, it doesn't matter whether it's affordable.

.Jinx
Old 11-27-2011, 02:00 AM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

I sat in most of Audi's models this past week at the San Francisco International Auto Show. The interiors of the A3, A4 and A5 do not impress me at all. I do not see what the ballahue is over Audi interiors. Maybe they are solid but the plastic is not impressive at all. As far as the shape of dashboards, none of them looked appealing including the R10. I would much prefer the interior be closer to the Cayman R that I saw than any Audi interior.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:28 AM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

The C7 must have a luxurious interior to succeed. Even if not extremely luxurious, it must be more luxurious than the interior of the C6 we have today. I don't think it would be difficult to do. General Motors has already made it obvious that they can produce twice the interior that the C6 has in cars that cost much less.

I point out the Buick Lacrosse as a perfect example. The soft-touch dash from the Lacrosse looks and feels luxurious, without using the world's finest leathers and costing a fortune. Its leather seats are some of the most comfortable and supportive I have ever sat in. They may not be made for spirited driving, but they are certainly comfortable. The interior also features some nice woodgrain, ambient lighting in the cupholders and door handle region, heated and cooled seats, and a fabulous setup for its navigation-radio screen. Fully loaded, the Lacrosse costs near 45k, or about the base price of the current Corvette.

I think it is certainly possible for the C7 to have a significantly better interior, and I do believe General Motors have listened to the consumers when developing the car. I am anxious to see what they have come up with.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by prinzSD455
I sat in most of Audi's models this past week at the San Francisco International Auto Show. The interiors of the A3, A4 and A5 do not impress me at all. I do not see what the ballahue is over Audi interiors. Maybe they are solid but the plastic is not impressive at all. As far as the shape of dashboards, none of them looked appealing including the R10. I would much prefer the interior be closer to the Cayman R that I saw than any Audi interior.
Did you sit in a6,a7,a8, way better than the competition.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:30 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
If C7 is built with a world-class interior that I can't afford, I'll save up until I can.
If C7 is affordable with an interior that's behind-the-curve, I'll save up for something else.

That is right on the money
Old 11-28-2011, 05:58 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree the C7 needs full CUE implementation. I think what Jinx is referencing above about the Corvette not having CUE is slightly incorrect. I don't think an official comment has been made, just a "were not sure or its Cadillac specific at this time". That doesn't mean its not an option. Also, who is to say that later years of the Corvette C7 don't get CUE? That is a real possibility if it doesn't make the cut for 2014.

I feel the Corvette C7 needs to rival offerings from Ferrari and Porsche to be taken seriously. If you look at what Jeep has done with their newest offerings, you'll see just how far behind the C6 is. I actually read an interesting article recently, maybe in Motor-trend, about how the cost of these "hi class" expensive interior metals and plastics has come down significantly since their introduction into the automotive world 5 or 6 years ago. Basically, what I'm saying is if Chrysler can make a world class interior, there is NO EXCUSE for GM to fall behind the curve again. No excuse to not have a "$50,000" interior in a $50,000 sports car. This is even more true for the Z06 and ZR1 variants if those carry over to the C7.

That being said, I like what GM has done with the Stingray concept. Go on YouTube and search out some videos of the interior. Its nice.

Also, here is the "premium" interior for the new XTS with CUE. This is what I am expecting to see in the C7.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:10 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
I feel the Corvette C7 needs to rival offerings from Ferrari and Porsche to be taken seriously.
Have you ever sat in a Ferrari 599, crap even seen the interior? Christ man, it's spartan!
Old 11-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
I agree with Prinz, Audi interiors hyped. Check out the interior of the Panamera, much nicer.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I agree the C7 needs full CUE implementation. I think what Jinx is referencing above about the Corvette not having CUE is slightly incorrect. I don't think an official comment has been made, just a "were not sure or its Cadillac specific at this time". That doesn't mean its not an option. Also, who is to say that later years of the Corvette C7 don't get CUE? That is a real possibility if it doesn't make the cut for 2014.
Here's what we have on the subject of CUE.

On the one hand, we have CUE's designer --
There are things that we are doing on CUE that are only going to be available in a Cadillac-priced vehicle.
Interesting choice of words. What other Cadillac-priced vehicles does GM build? Hmm.

reference previous discussion here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...post1579152667

On the other hand, we have the recent GM Inside News report --

The C7 was originally going to receive capacitive touch buttons similar to the recently announced Cadillac CUE system, however that has since been scrapped. Instead, the C7 will feature a unique version of GM’s latest infotainment, including a large center display in the gauge cluster.
reference previous discussion here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...post1579167250

I really really want this to be wrong, but it sounds just like those penny-pinching behind-the-curve dipshifts.

As for GM adding CUE to Corvette in later years, I seriously doubt it. The last time GM updated the dashboard interface of a Corvette mid-cycle was in 1990, fixing what had become an industry punchline. I think if we don't get the full CUE in the first C7, we won't see it in any C7. They might update the software year over year, but the physical controls? We'll be stuck with those for the full product lifecycle; that's how Corvette rolls.

.Jinx
Old 11-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't want the C7, especially the Z06 and ZR1, to look like a Caddy inside. That's a luxury car. I don't need a 25 inch navigation screen or a heated steering wheel. I do, however, want the parts that are made for the car to be made well. That's where the C6 really falls short of the 599-the parts the 599 has are top-notch. There's no cheap plastic consoles, cheap, thin leather seats, cheap shift boots, cheap displays, etc. Everything feels well made, even if there isn't much of it. I don't want burl wood and a white wine cooler; I just want to see an interior that looks more "Made in Italy" than "Made in China."

Last edited by Endeka; 12-03-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Endeka
I don't want the C7, especially the Z06 and ZR1, to look like a Caddy inside. That's a luxury car. I don't need a 25 inch navigation screen or a heated steering wheel. I do, however, want the parts that are made to be made well. That's where the C6 really falls short of the 599-the parts the 599 has are top-notch. There's no cheap plastic consoles, cheap, thin leather seats, cheap shift boots, cheap displays, etc. Everything feels well made, even if there isn't much of it. I don't want burl wood and a white wine cooler; I just want to see an interior that looks more "Made in Italy" than "Made in China."
Apparently the 599 does not come standard leather seats. If it does it is, not clear on their website, as it clearly shows, standard, single color leather and the plastic Alcantara seats. I venture to say not many base, low content Ferrai's come into the states, but it appears they are available. It is not clear to me from their website what their nav system looks like. It is not standard on their $200k+ car. Heck cruise control is not standard on the 458. Who knows if it is available on the 599 GTO? I have to tell you for a "premium" car line they have a substandard website in terms of their configurator lack of any list pricing. I know if you have to ask, you can't afford it.

Please ignore the following non-interior related comments that are off thread:
I notice no engine options. Where is their cheap entry model, no AWD options, so clearly it is a crap substandard sports car, as everyone knows without AWD it can't handle with the best like the GT-R.

Last edited by Racer X; 11-28-2011 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Fat fingers and isolating off thread comments
Old 11-28-2011, 10:29 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
I sat in an Audi convertible R10 this past summer at the Danville Concourse de Elegance and for the money they were asking was not impressed. At the San Francisco show I did sit in another Audi but I can not remember what other one it was, but still I was unimpressed. As I said I really dug the interior of the Cayman R that was there.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:38 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Racer X
..... I have to tell you for a "premium" car line they have a substandard website in terms of their configurator lack of any list pricing. I know if you have to ask, you can't afford it.
Racer, their configurator doesn't matter. Not only if you have to ask you can't afford it, you or I can't even buy a new Ferrari without becoming a Ferrari "guy".

The process is go to your dealer and buy a used Ferrari, drive it for a while, then repeat the process a few times. In time, you too will qualify to order a new model with a delivery date two years or so down the road.

The exception MIGHT be a celebrity. That may qualify you to jump ahead of some 'regulars'.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:24 PM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Wow. Learn something new every day!
Old 12-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Z0SIXXXIN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, I don't think it's right to say the Corvette interior sucks because it doesn't look like a Ferrari's interior. The interior of a Ferrari 599 costs more than an entire Corvette. If it did have an interior like the Ferrari, 95% of us wouldn't be able to afford it. I agree the C6 interior isn't perfect, but it's well suited to the car. The Ferrari has an elegant feel to it, thus the interior feels this way. The poor mans Ferrari, I mean corvette, has a raw, no excuses feel, thus the interior matches it. Just be glad it's not the Viper interior. I expect the C7 engineers already have their hands on the new Porsche, as they are the competition here. Trust me, the next vette will blow the Porsche outta the water when it comes to the inside. As for the 0 - 60, it will be hard to keep up with AWD....but after that.....see ya! I would take the looks of a C6 over a 911 everytime....it looks like a glorified VW bug to me. For the record, with a few aftermarket interior pieces, I transformed my Z06 interior into something I like more than any Audi, only complaint I have is how easily the leather cracks on the seat bottom.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:11 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Look at the available price spread of Corvettes, they compete with reasonably priced cars at the base model and then super cars with a ZR1. If Chevrolet continues marketing to the same broad spectrum of buyers, they'll need to offer options to dress up the interiors significantly over the C6. Different seat options (like when ordering a 911) for comfort, racing, etc would be a wise addition to the Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To Interior design

Old 12-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Have you guys seen the prices to upgrade the interior of a 911. So if you take a base Corvette coupe of 50k up to 4LT, magnetic ride, silver metallic paint, sport exhaust, etc you get to about 63k.

You start with base 911 coupe at 82k only get 350hp. to get it equivilent to the above you add 21k in options and get 103k for a lower performing car. Now maybe the interior might be a little nicer, but 40k? You could throw out the nice 4LT leather adn replace with a fabulous Carvaggio leather interior for 20K and have a much better performing car with a nicer interior.

When the Corvette buyers are willing to pay the silly prices the Porsche guys do for their upgraded interiors, they would get the same or better than Porsche offers.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:55 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Also, here is the "premium" interior for the new XTS with CUE. This is what I am expecting to see in the C7.

Hmm - well, maybe it's just the shadows in that picture, but I personally do not care for what I am seeing there. Too many different colors/shades/variations, too many different lines and angles. I hope the new C7 interior does NOT look like that.Way too "pimp mobile" ish for me!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:57 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
Have you guys seen the prices to upgrade the interior of a 911. So if you take a base Corvette coupe of 50k up to 4LT, magnetic ride, silver metallic paint, sport exhaust, etc you get to about 63k.

You start with base 911 coupe at 82k only get 350hp. to get it equivilent to the above you add 21k in options and get 103k for a lower performing car. Now maybe the interior might be a little nicer, but 40k? You could throw out the nice 4LT leather adn replace with a fabulous Carvaggio leather interior for 20K and have a much better performing car with a nicer interior.

When the Corvette buyers are willing to pay the silly prices the Porsche guys do for their upgraded interiors, they would get the same or better than Porsche offers.
That is absolutely 100% right-on correct!

Quick Reply: Interior design