Sponsored by:

C7 or new viper???

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 03:11 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

Default C7 or new viper???

Any other members looking at the new Viper that will be coming out? Just curious as to what you think or have heard about it? I for one need an Auto Trans "BUM SHOULDER". I have read that the new Viper MAY have an Auto trans offered? If so that would open the door for me to at least look at it. I also am really looking forward to the new C7. Any opinions? I am not looking for a Viper Vs C7 thread just like American muscle and fast cars.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

As a chronic car guy, I'm really looking forward to seeing the Viper in person. I've never been a Chrysler fan, so I wouldn't buy one...unless the C7 ZR1 is never built or really sucks.

I read somewhere that one of the Viper designers made a reference to the movie Boogie Nights, when describing the length of the hood. Might be interesting for all the wrong reasons.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:30 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Personally I'm glad the Viper is coming back. It helped, along with Porsche and others, to improve the vette. Good 'ol competition is a good thing.

Now that the Italians own the Viper, perhaps it will get some exhaust tuning to help the sound of that V10. If SRT improves the exhaust note, and makes the car more day-to-day liveable (and I understand some hard core Viper folks think such is sacrilege), then it should be a hit.

I personally can't wait to see both of them in person.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:56 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I've always liked Vipers as well but I still feel that it will be priced well above that of the base C7 Corvette.
The availability of an automatic (I'll assume that it will be some variation on the DCT/F1 sequential/paddle shift design? if it actually has one that is) would certainly make it quite interesting.
Though I've heard it said many times over the years by the Viper engineering/design team that they will NEVER offer an automatic transmission in the car.
I even heard them say it in person once when I attended one of the awesome Viper Owner's Invitationals out in St Louis back in the summer of 2000.

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
I read somewhere that one of the Viper designers made a reference to the movie Boogie Nights, when describing the length of the hood.
One of my favorite movies ever by the way.
Sometimes I even think that (subconsciously) part of the reason why I'm currently on my 2nd yellow Corvette is due in part to the poster on younger Dirk's bedroom wall and later on the very car he actually buys (yeah I know his was orange but close enough LOL).
Old 03-05-2012, 06:48 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

I have also heard that the Viper will never have an automatic. I just read from C&D that a 7 speed dual clutch is under development? which in my opinion would be a plus but the die hard Viper guys hate it? Maybe until they try it? My Porsche which had a PDK trans was very nice and super fast shifting. I love the competition between brands very cool times again.I also read it will have 660hp and be around 95k.

Last edited by DRLC5; 03-05-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:21 PM
Grover168
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not looking for a Viper Vs C7 thread just like American muscle and fast cars.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:50 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DRLC5
I have also heard that the Viper will never have an automatic. I just read from C&D that a 7 speed dual clutch is under development?
I also read it will have 660hp and be around 95k.
If they can actually deliver a new Viper with 660hp and a 7 speed dual clutch paddle shifted trans for under $95k I will applaud and commend them for YEARS to come.
And I will also own (a used) one someday as well.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:36 PM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

If i could id have both! But your asking the wrong crowd lol Id take a Corvette.

But you cannot deny the Viper appeal...love it
Old 03-05-2012, 10:22 PM
Xanthophyll
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

What's the reliability like on the older Vipers? As good as the Vettes?
Old 03-05-2012, 10:38 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Xanthophyll
What's the reliability like on the older Vipers? As good as the Vettes?
Not even close LOL, especially if talking about 1st gen ('92-'96) RT/10s.
I've never owned a Viper but have spent plenty of time in a few earlier ones...they're not as bad as some people make them out to be but NOT NEARLY as daily drivable/daily livable as a C5/C6 in my opinion.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:36 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not that I can afford either, but wouldnt be a new Viper for me. The jist is its mainly the front of the car that got redesigned from what I hear, and it possibly got leaked. The hood looks pretty legit, the whole picture is just a drawing though. Instead of the... tunnel ram scoop for lack of a better description, its replaced by the meh looking triangular intake on the first gens, and instead of what I consider some pretty mean looking heat vents along the side, they're replace by the same, tear dropish shaped heat extractors that look similar to the jeep srt8's. AKA:

Grill is slightly modified, not so much a crosshair anymore.

Then again, I still dont have high hopes for the c7, especially if it'll have gaudy ZL1-ish heat vents like a lot of pictures seem to hint at.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:16 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Supposed pic I've seen of the new viper looks way too much like a Jag or Maserati to me....I've always loved the "looks" of a Viper.....that is gone now if the pic I saw is real.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:27 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A Viper without a manual just seems sacrilegious. I'm not against it, but it's just so hard to imagine.

The Viper is a blunt force ax of power. Taming it while adding power just seems... Odd.

I've always liked the Viper. I've never driven one, but I've sat in a few. They very raw and it would just seem weird to take some of the driver out of the experience.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:31 PM
MattLangley
Heel & Toe

The Viper unfortunately is out of my price range, though if it were I'd need it in an auto personally. If it had a lower price point and an auto I'd consider it against a corvette.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:40 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think you would find (after a test drive and putting 100 miles on it) that it's really not the same class of car as a Vette. They may be competitive, but the Viper lacks a lot of luxury that the Corvette has. Up until the 2008 model, it didn't even have traction control. I'm not even certain what it came with that justified such a high price. It certainly wasn't technology!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:24 AM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

I am a Vette guy I have had 3 C6s and a total of 6 Vettes. Never had a Viper but we can not say that the new Viper will not be in the same class as our Vettes. It may or may not exceed our expectations? I just look forward to the competition.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:42 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

I can't wait to see both cars. I'm not brand loyal, so I'll buy whichever one is IMO the best.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 or new viper???

Old 03-07-2012, 06:53 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ANTIVNOM
I can't wait to see both cars. I'm not brand loyal, so I'll buy whichever one is IMO the best.
Good call and I agree. I own a Jeep,Mercedes and of course my Vette. I like what I like.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:14 PM
tws
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I will get the viper if i can get in it. I have owned eight vettes and would like something different.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Vette Fan
Drifting

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I think you would find (after a test drive and putting 100 miles on it) that it's really not the same class of car as a Vette. They may be competitive, but the Viper lacks a lot of luxury that the Corvette has. Up until the 2008 model, it didn't even have traction control. I'm not even certain what it came with that justified such a high price. It certainly wasn't technology!
No Traction Control to date, on any Viper. 2013 Gen 5 will have it.

Quick Reply: C7 or new viper???