C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will an aluminum framed base C7 bring back the old 't-tops'?

Old 05-28-2012, 04:13 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Will an aluminum framed base C7 bring back the old 't-tops'?

I was just thinking about this earlier today. There is some talk/speculation that the 2014 might actually have an aluminum frame much like the current C6 Z06 and C6 ZR1 does as a way of saving weight/increasing fuel economy/adding more performance all at the same time.
But that open targa/top might create some engineering hurdles with an aluminum frame (Z06s/ZR1s are 'fixed roof only' of course).
So I was thinking that if they did go to the lighter frame that perhaps they might go back to a 'two piece' removable roof design with a (small, thin, unobtrusive) bar that runs from the halo to the windshield header for added strength/stability maybe?
Or even keep the panel as a one piece/targa roof but still have the bar there?
Something like that could solve a dilemma and wouldn't really be in the way or block the openess or sun too much if it's small enough.

Of course then there's the convertible model. They won't have two different frame structures for coupe and convertible and the only to brace/strengthen that car would be to do it underneath and add substantial weight in the process which they likely won't want to do...and that sort of throws a wrench in my whole question/idea making this thread sort of moot I suppose LOL.
Just wanted to put it out there in case something like that actually happens and then I'll look like a genius for breaking the news/story on it first.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:24 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Just wanted to put it out there in case something like that actually happens and then I'll look like a genius for breaking the news/story on it first.
Where was the part where you were a genius?
I think you are just baiting us now.

I really have no idea what they will do as new alloys are being developed that could make the C7 vert lighter and stronger vs aluminum. I really look forward to the C7 chassis design as I think this will be a major advancement in Corvette engineering/technology.

That and the AWD, of course.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:52 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Where was the part where you were a genius?
I think you are just baiting us now.

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I really have no idea what they will do as new alloys are being developed that could make the C7 vert lighter and stronger vs aluminum. I really look forward to the C7 chassis design as I think this will be a major advancement in Corvette engineering/technology.
If they even go to an aluminum frame across the entire line (I personally don't think they will) I'm sure by now that the engineers have figured out a way to do it while still safely/structurally retaining (fully) open roof coupe and convertible models.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:07 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Even though it is much easier to handle removing/replacing a two piece t-top, I think it would be a step backward in design. Along with that, they will never return to a less ridged structure with noticeable flexing where the doors meet the rear quarter panel in both the coupe and the vert.

So frame weight reduction will not be incorporated at the expense of what we have come to expect in coupe/vert Corvettes. Solid as a rock! A new alloy could offer a solution changing all that however.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:23 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm willing to bet that the current C6 hardtops are structurally stiff enough to have an open top but for the intended purpose (sports car) the extra stiffness is best.

I bet the C7 will have an aluminum frame maybe a different kinda of aluminum alloy.

The C4 was supposed to be a T-Top then some top executive at the last minute (cough, cough Lloyd Ruess) decided he had to have a targa. Well it was too late to redo the structure. So we got a flexible chassis.

I think T-Tops are gone for good. No reason to go back. Dave McLellan did such a good job on the C5's structure that the targa is just fine on all that have come since.

I hope they never offer AWD. If you want it, maybe as an option, but you'll pay with weight. I am a firm believer in adding lightness. Stay RWD and offer a proper manual gear box as standard. This is a sports car. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Last edited by 93Rubie; 05-28-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:32 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting subject.

From an aesthetic standpoint, no, I don't want T-tops again.

However, I do agree that the C7 needs to be more rigid, and yet lighter weight. Engineering, computer analysis and possibly aluminum alloy or high-strength steel should combine to produce a lighter, stiffer frame without T-tops.

As an aside, my fourth gen 2002 Camaro SS has an incredibly rigid frame. Yes, it's a T-top. The ragtops of that generation were wobbly goblins, though. There are many aftermarket products to strengthen the 4th gen frame for ragtops. The T-tops are fine as-is.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:14 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Doubt t-tops are coming back. The targa is a lot less work and I doubt that Chevy wants to tell their customers they're going to make things difficult again.

The truth is that even if the frame is made out of aluminum, the fame can be made stiff still to support plenty of torque and power. It's not like that fixed roof is the game changer. The frame itself is engineered for the purpose. It's not an after-though, but it's one of the first things considered in the engineering of the car. The C5 chassis was designed as a roadster chassis so that no matter what body/trim they put on it, it would be stiff enough so that they could simply use one chassis for everything. And it's quite stout while GM saved a lot of money having 1 assembly.

With the C6, GM managed to spend more money on the chassis having more than variation. Now, to save money there will be just one again, and to save weight, it will be aluminum. That means they'll do just as they did with the C5 and build it to support everything. It will be rigid and light and yet still cost less than creating lots of different chassis variants.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:18 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
Interesting subject.

From an aesthetic standpoint, no, I don't want T-tops again.

However, I do agree that the C7 needs to be more rigid, and yet lighter weight. Engineering, computer analysis and possibly aluminum alloy or high-strength steel should combine to produce a lighter, stiffer frame without T-tops.

As an aside, my fourth gen 2002 Camaro SS has an incredibly rigid frame. Yes, it's a T-top. The ragtops of that generation were wobbly goblins, though. There are many aftermarket products to strengthen the 4th gen frame for ragtops. The T-tops are fine as-is.
No... I had 2 T-top f-bodies and both were definitely not rigid. You could hear the creaking going up driveways at an angle. The reason sub-frame connectors were created was because ALL f-bodies suffered from limp frame syndrome. The rag-top f-bodies were actually a little stiffer. GM had to strengthen the car because there wasn't the t-bar to hold the sub frames from folding in.

Sub-frames = fail.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:07 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

I can't imagine that anyone would even want t-tops these days. I certainly wouldn't want the C7 Vette to have that old '70s look that were a pain then and would be a pain now. They have enough trouble making a single that doesn't creak, leak or fly off!
Next you'll be talking about fine Corinthian leather (read Naugahyde)!
Old 05-29-2012, 09:45 AM
sportcruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All we need is a titanium frame! Seriously, I would love to see a targa top regardless of performance level. Lack of a targa is what keeps me out of a Z06.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:14 AM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by sportcruiser
All we need is a titanium frame! Seriously, I would love to see a targa top regardless of performance level. Lack of a targa is what keeps me out of a Z06.
Well since a titanium dirt bike axle is about $300 and a frame is 1000 times bigger and more complex I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:18 AM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I was just thinking about this earlier today. There is some talk/speculation that the 2014 might actually have an aluminum frame much like the current C6 Z06 and C6 ZR1 does as a way of saving weight/increasing fuel economy/adding more performance all at the same time.
But that open targa/top might create some engineering hurdles with an aluminum frame (Z06s/ZR1s are 'fixed roof only' of course).
So I was thinking that if they did go to the lighter frame that perhaps they might go back to a 'two piece' removable roof design with a (small, thin, unobtrusive) bar that runs from the halo to the windshield header for added strength/stability maybe?
Or even keep the panel as a one piece/targa roof but still have the bar there?
Something like that could solve a dilemma and wouldn't really be in the way or block the openess or sun too much if it's small enough.

Of course then there's the convertible model. They won't have two different frame structures for coupe and convertible and the only to brace/strengthen that car would be to do it underneath and add substantial weight in the process which they likely won't want to do...and that sort of throws a wrench in my whole question/idea making this thread sort of moot I suppose LOL.
I don't think it had anything to do with GM not being able to make aluminum work in a convertible. The problem is they didn't even release the Z06 until 2006. By that point even if they had been throwing around a redesign for only one chassis, by the time they finished it and got it into production it would have been half way through the model's life cycle. My guess is it just simply didn't make sense to do a mid model change that radical. The C7 should be a different story though. They have had plenty of time to work on an aluminum chassis for that.

Dang, what are we going to do when cars don't rust anymore?
Old 05-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by WildVettes
Dang, what are we going to do when cars don't rust anymore?
Complain about the failed & irreplaceable electronic control modules.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:27 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Now, to save money there will be just one again, and to save weight, it will be aluminum.
Well, we don't actually know this for sure just yet, but I'm hopeful for it.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:14 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,419 Likes on 2,266 Posts

Ts would be a step back.

I'd be surprised if they did that.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:09 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
The truth is that even if the frame is made out of aluminum, the fame can be made stiff still to support plenty of torque and power. It's not like that fixed roof is the game changer. The frame itself is engineered for the purpose. It's not an after-though, but it's one of the first things considered in the engineering of the car. The C5 chassis was designed as a roadster chassis so that no matter what body/trim they put on it, it would be stiff enough so that they could simply use one chassis for everything. And it's quite stout while GM saved a lot of money having 1 assembly.

With the C6, GM managed to spend more money on the chassis having more than variation. Now, to save money there will be just one again, and to save weight, it will be aluminum. That means they'll do just as they did with the C5 and build it to support everything. It will be rigid and light and yet still cost less than creating lots of different chassis variants.
Totally agree!
Old 05-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 271 Likes on 143 Posts

T tops belong in the same garbage bin of history as pop up headlights. As the old saying goes, " just because you can doesn't mean you should"

Get notified of new replies

To Will an aluminum framed base C7 bring back the old 't-tops'?

Old 05-29-2012, 03:02 PM
billythekid310
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would rather have a FRC over T-tops anyway. If they put T-Tops on the C7 it better damn well have drum brakes and a 4 speed.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:28 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by billythekid310
If they put T-Tops on the C7 it better damn well have drum brakes and a 4 speed.
LOL...for the record (and I'm sure you already know this), Corvettes never had drum brakes and t-tops at the same time.

And even Porsche still had a 4 speed manual (on the 911 Turbo) well into the mid-late '80s.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:39 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

...[snip]...
You know what looking like a genius to strangers on the internet is worth? Don't spend it all in one place.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will an aluminum framed base C7 bring back the old 't-tops'?