Factory Model Changeover

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Factory Model Changeover

Are the factory workers involved in retrofitting the plant for C7 production. Or, is this work done by another group?

Are the factory workers furloughed?
Old 03-22-2012, 05:17 AM
C6-Stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

When i visited the factory last month the tour guide pointed at a closed section of the plant and said thats where the XLR was made and that they now are now working on retooling it for a special project that he could not tell us about.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:28 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by C6-Stingray
When i visited the factory last month the tour guide pointed at a closed section of the plant and said thats where the XLR was made and that they now are now working on retooling it for a special project that he could not tell us about.
Could it be for a C7 retractable hard top convertible??? I could only dream and salivate on that prospect.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:57 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

The equipment manufacturers have their own installation crew. Or at least key installers that know the sequence of how the various components and machinery go together. I doubt the factory workers on the line have a clue how it all goes together. I've always been amazed at the fabricators and machine designer/engineers who design/develop these machines. They are truly sharp people that are both left and right brained.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:52 AM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

might just be an area to build the 427 verts
Old 03-22-2012, 09:57 AM
ockie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope that there will be a new generation XLR based on the C7
Old 03-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
Could it be for a C7 retractable hard top convertible??? I could only dream and salivate on that prospect.
Wow, I'd completely forgotten about the XLR and its top but giving the C7 a folding hardtop option would be one way to make more money off the base platform and make "higher-end" customers happy...
Old 03-22-2012, 12:51 PM
FastZ06Eh?
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I did the tour they told me that aluminum frame fabrication was coming in house and into that area. I asked if all C7's would have al frames I got a wide eyed "I've said too much already" look.....FWIW.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:59 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FastZ06Eh?
When I did the tour they told me that aluminum frame fabrication was coming in house and into that area. I asked if all C7's would have al frames I got a wide eyed "I've said too much already" look.....FWIW.
I love hearing little tidbits and hints such as these, hopefully some pretty damn exciting new stuff coming in the near future.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:05 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Jinx
Wow, I'd completely forgotten about the XLR and its top but giving the C7 a folding hardtop option would be one way to make more money off the base platform and make "higher-end" customers happy...
And like I suggested in another thread some time ago we could then have a "GT" to go along with the base, GS and Z's. Even the rag tops could still be offered. That is my new "It's a Boy's Dream".
Old 03-22-2012, 05:45 PM
HZ3
Racer

Originally Posted by Jinx
Definitely agree it would also be more appealing to people in cold weather areas as well who want something unique with the C7 Vette to make up for the lack of performance and the "affordable" interior
Old 03-22-2012, 08:07 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HZ3
Definitely agree it would also be more appealing to people in cold weather areas as well who want something unique with the C7 Vette to make up for the lack of performance and the "affordable" interior
Oh wow, you actually have the inside scoop?! Or just a really really awesome crystal ball?
Please share with us your insight and fact based information oh wise one.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:16 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
Forget that idea. It died with the XLR. There was absolutely no room in the trunk when the top was down and it certainly increased the weight even though it was made out of aluminum. They'd have to make it all out of carbon fiber which would certainly raise the price considerably.

What is wrong with the cloth top? It is quieter than the coupe, works well, and looks just fine!

Last edited by BlueOx; 03-22-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:08 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BlueOx
What is wrong with the cloth top? It is quieter than the coupe, works well, and looks just fine!
Old 03-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

To be fair, the XLR sacrificed a lot for that very long sloped backlight. A "ballcap" hardtop a la the C5 Billybob would package better and cost less... and make some hardy fans of that look quite happy.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:00 AM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

YES PLEASE! This is the one thing the MB verts have had on the Corvette-a retractable hard top is way, way cooler when the top is up, because the car doesn't look like it has a sleeping bag stapled onto the back of the windshield.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:03 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Endeka
YES PLEASE! This is the one thing the MB verts have had on the Corvette-a retractable hard top is way, way cooler when the top is up, because the car doesn't look like it has a sleeping bag stapled onto the back of the windshield.
Much better than the XLR's attempt at this. The Z4 even has a dedicated button to operate all 4 windows at the same time. Trunk spacious top up, one carry on size with the top down. Look, awesome to me, up or down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcbhK...e_gdata_player

Get notified of new replies

To Factory Model Changeover

Old 03-23-2012, 04:47 AM
Eileen36
5th Gear

Old 03-24-2012, 01:32 AM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It would be epic. It would probably make the vert a better car too, because, despite the weight, it probably has much better aero than a malleable cloth top.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:11 AM
Matt_Kah84
Heel & Toe

When tooling is changed at an automotive plant the assembly line workers do not play much of a part other than being trained on applicable changes. Those responsible for tooling change typically include manufacturing and quality divisions within the company.

The changes are typically done during a "shut down" period when cars are not being produced for 2-3 weeks. So, yes, some of the workers would be furloughed or depending on the companies policy could use vacation time. Workers that are considered skilled trades (i.e. electricians, plumbers, etc) often times are still needed during this "shut down" period to assist with the change over.

Last edited by Matt_Kah84; 03-24-2012 at 02:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Factory Model Changeover