C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I'm still hopeful for the C7 design...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Czarvette
Safety Car

Received 154 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Why I'm still hopeful for the C7 design...

...and the answer is John Cafaro and the 2014 Chevy Impala.

Me likey. There are design cues that suggest "power" and "lean agility" even on this full-size sedan.

So, what does this have to do with C7?

John Cafaro was chief design stylist for the C5. He is now director of GM North America exterior design. The Impala has been a staple full size sedan of the rental car, with oh-so-boring styling to match. The 2014 Impala is a break from that mold and intended to compete with other up-market sedans. I think it hits that mark.

A the stated of the intention of the C7 is to refresh the marketplace demographics for the Corvette and increase the appeal to a younger generation of buyers. That sounds like what Chevy is doing with the Impala. I think the 2014 Impala shows that GM is getting the message and is able to execute on appealing new designs.

I'm thinking that Cafaro will have exerted similar influence on design of the C7, and given his role and his past, he'll have personal incentive not to let the C7 be a disappointing heir to his legacy. So, I'm not disheartened by spy photos and renderings to date, and write off the shortcomings seen therein to them to camouflage, active disinformation, and expediency in slapping together parts for the C7 mules.

See http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ford-taurus-/1

(I'm just hoping that isn't Mr. Bluebird sitting on my shoulder whistling a happy tune.)
Old 04-04-2012, 12:56 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

When the C5 was being designed, Tom Peters was heading up one group and John Cafaro was heading up a second competing group. Fortunately, John's design was selected. For those that don't know who Tom Peters is...he designed the Pontiac Aztek.

Hopefully, Peters is locked in a closet, far from the C7's design studios.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:30 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Czarvette

Me likey. There are design cues that suggest "power" and "lean agility" even on this full-size sedan.

John Cafaro was chief design stylist for the C5. He is now director of GM North America exterior design. The Impala has been a staple full size sedan of the rental car, with oh-so-boring styling to match. The 2014 Impala is a break from that mold and intended to compete with other up-market sedans. I think it hits that mark.

A the stated of the intention of the C7 is to refresh the marketplace demographics for the Corvette and increase the appeal to a younger generation of buyers. That sounds like what Chevy is doing with the Impala. I think the 2014 Impala shows that GM is getting the message and is able to execute on appealing new designs.

I'm thinking that Cafaro will have exerted similar influence on design of the C7, and given his role and his past, he'll have personal incentive not to let the C7 be a disappointing heir to his legacy. So, I'm not disheartened by spy photos and renderings to date, and write off the shortcomings seen therein to them to camouflage, active disinformation, and expediency in slapping together parts for the C7 mules.

(I'm just hoping that isn't Mr. Bluebird sitting on my shoulder whistling a happy tune.)
100%

I felt the exact same way when I watched the video below (of the awesome new 2014 Impala ). It really gave me a feeling of inspiration and comfort that the Corvette's future might be in VERY good hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=YnFO9oSYFb8
Old 04-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Czarvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
100%

I felt the exact same way when I watched the video below (of the awesome new 2014 Impala ). It really gave me a feeling of inspiration and comfort that the Corvette's future might be in VERY good hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=YnFO9oSYFb8
Right at 0:24 in the video is a top-down shot of the Impala. The reflections form a highlight remarkably reminiscent to the top-down silhouette of a C3. Obviously, the Impala does not really have a C3 silhouette from any angle, but by adding just the right kind of folds and bulges to the sheet metal, cool design cues are evoked.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:44 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see none of that. The car sits more upright, less sporty. More sharp angles, squarish shapes instead of just sharp lines. The first thing I noticed however, was the camaro-esque grill. Now I really expect the circular corvette taillights to disappear.

I'm far more interested in this "all new named car" that's supposed to be shown already from the way all the reports keep reading. Whatever it is, its going to be the new NASCAR design for Chevy, and neither Chevy or NASCAR sites have any hints. Not that I car in the least about nascar, but since it's supposed to be a rear drive car, possibly a new commodore being imported?
Old 04-04-2012, 01:44 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

I hope some leaks come out in coming months on the C7. Amazed at how tight the SRT boys kept the new snake for so long.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:55 PM
tractman
Drifting

Received 945 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
When the C5 was being designed, Tom Peters was heading up one group and John Cafaro was heading up a second competing group. Fortunately, John's design was selected. For those that don't know who Tom Peters is...he designed the Pontiac Aztek.

I think you're wrong on this......John Cafaro was the C5 Lead Designer and Tom Peters did the C6. Go read "All Corvettes are Red"!
Old 04-04-2012, 02:01 PM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have lost a lot of hope. I was counting on the SRT Viper, but I am not convinced. I guess it is back to the waiting game for the C7...
Old 04-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Process Black
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JoesC5

Tom Peters is given the credit for the Aztek but it was a practice in design-by-committee. He had little say in that design and it's a damn shame he had his named tied to it.

He was also the lead designer for the C6 and the cadillac XLR, both beautiful cars IMO.

Oh yeah, and was design director for some best selling muscle car known as the Camaro.

Last edited by Process Black; 04-04-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Czarvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Process Black
Tom Peters is given the credit for the Aztek but it was a practice in design-by-committee. He had little say in that design and it's a damn shame he had his named tied to it.

He was also the lead designer for the C6 and the cadillac XLR, both beautiful cars IMO.

Oh yeah, and was design director for some best selling muscle car known as the Camaro.
He also designed the Corvette Stingray concept car for Transformers II.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:55 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

So basically, Peters' only big FLOP was the Aztek.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:37 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Czarvette

A four door camaro-there is no hope...
Old 04-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Kingsize
Racer

Old 04-04-2012, 06:22 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Camaro? Some of you folks are just nuts...that looks NOTHING like a Camaro in any way.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:32 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by petermj
A four door camaro-there is no hope...
Originally Posted by BlueOx
Camaro? Some of you folks are just nuts...that looks NOTHING like a Camaro in any way.
Agreed.

But then I have to ask, so what if it did? The Camaro is a good lookin' car so should really be any shame in driving a 4 door family sedan that resembles it a little?
Old 04-04-2012, 07:01 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BlueOx
The front of this monstrocity resembles the front of the other monstrocity a lot, I would say, you lack the ability to see it. The rest looks like that turd Ford 500... This is a truly fugly car.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:05 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
But then I have to ask, so what if it did? The Camaro is a good lookin' car so should really be any shame in driving a 4 door family sedan that resembles it a little?
A matter of personal taste. Personally, I think that thing called camaro is a true abomination, a current take on Sherman tank.

Get notified of new replies

To Why I'm still hopeful for the C7 design...

Old 04-04-2012, 10:06 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by petermj
The front of this monstrocity resembles the front of the other monstrocity a lot, I would say, you lack the ability to see it. The rest looks like that turd Ford 500... This is a truly fugly car.
You tell me what part of that looks like the Camaro. You need to get your bifocals on old man.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:08 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

BTW, the C6 Vette (drag coefficient - 0.28) STILL has better aerodynamics than the new Viper (drag coefficient - 0.36). One can only imagine the C7 will improve that.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:13 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

I think this car is absolutely stunning. The best design General Motors have had in years in my opinion. If the person responsible for this design has anything to say about the C7 design, I am 110% confident.

Quick Reply: Why I'm still hopeful for the C7 design...