GM Chairman Akerson Comments on “Top Secret, Revamped” C7 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Keith@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 208 Likes on 60 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default GM Chairman Akerson Comments on “Top Secret, Revamped” C7 Corvette

GM Chairman and CEO Dan Akerson sat for an interview with Kathleen Walter of Newsmax.tv. Asked if GM is planning any other relaunches of popular models (like the 2009 reboot of the Camaro), Akerson responded by saying, “Not in the intermediate near term, I don’t think so.”

But then the Chairman and CEO added the following about the 2014 C7 Corvette:

“We will come out with a new revamped — I’ve seen it, it’s not been published and it’s under wraps, top secret — the latest Corvette that I think will float a lot of people’s boats. It’s a great looking car and a real step forward.”

Video excerpt of comment:

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2012/...oncommentsonc7

Your Internet destination for buying and selling Corvettes.

Read My Corvette Blog
Old 05-02-2012, 09:46 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, talk about a whole lot of nothin'! I could have told everyone that much myself!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:18 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

"revamped" and "a real step forward" seems to suggest to me that there will be more than just superficial improvements over the last 2013 C6s.

What I find interesting is how they are going to introduce the base C7 model and whether it will have a similar body as the current GS or be a narrow bodied version. Or will there be both a base and a wide body at introduction. Vert vs coupe intro as well must be considered.

Looking at both the final 2011 production numbers and 2012 thru 10/10/11, the GS sales were twice that of base models, and that being at a higher price point and I would expect profit margin. All this at the same time they are trying to clear out the 2013 C6s.

My guess, is The base will be widebodied, just not labeled and priced as high as a GS. An interesting marketing study. I can't wait but am encouraged that it will be great. That would help clear out narrow bodied C6s for those who prefer that version and at a good discount.

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 05-02-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Colorado c6 come here hating the c7 in 3,2,1...
Old 05-02-2012, 11:24 AM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
Colorado c6 come here hating the c7 in 3,2,1...
Nah, he's bragging up his premium brand BMW to somebody where he lives.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

"Revamped" means nothing. "Great looking car" means nothing. "Real step forward" means nothing.

And before we get any the idea that he wasn't thinking of the 2014 Corvette as a relaunch means nothing.

No specs, no pics, no prices, no news.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:40 AM
JKVIPER
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I am as excited to see the new C7 as most Corvette Enthusiasts, but Akerson states the C7 has not been published and is under-wraps.

Makes me wonder if the Jalopnik renderings and spy photos which certainly support the Jalopnik renderings are misleading.

To me, the spy photos support those renderings and it looks more like incremental improvement over the C6 and not a "real step forward".

I guess time will tell. I for one, enjoy all the speculation building up to the intro of the new car.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:42 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
"revamped" and "a real step forward" seems to suggest to me that there will be more than just superficial improvements over the last 2013 C6s.

What I find interesting is how they are going to introduce the base C7 model and whether it will have a similar body as the current GS or be a narrow bodied version. Or will there be both a base and a wide body at introduction. Vert vs coupe intro as well must be considered.

Looking at both the final 2011 production numbers and 2012 thru 10/10/11, the GS sales were twice that of base models, and that being at a higher price point and I would expect profit margin. All this at the same time they are trying to clear out the 2013 C6s.

My guess, is The base will be widebodied, just not labeled and priced as high as a GS. An interesting marketing study. I can't wait but am encouraged that it will be great. That would help clear out narrow bodied C6s for those who prefer that version and at a good discount.
I'd expect the base C7 and later the ZR1 to be the same width. The C7 body is likely to be designed from the beginning to take as wide a tire/wheel
as anticipated without having to push out the fenders like they did for the C6 Z06.

With GM's bankruptcy and the need to extend the C6 for a few more years, it was a brilliant idea to add off-the-shelf Z06 wide fenders and wheels to
the base car and create an exciting and popular new model. But it might not happen again.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:51 AM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
"Revamped" means nothing. "Great looking car" means nothing. "Real step forward" means nothing. And before we get any the idea that he wasn't thinking of the 2014 Corvette as a relaunch means nothing.

No specs, no pics, no prices, no news.
Words like "Revamped" and "Real step forward" mean something to me: It means he did NOT use words like "All new" and "Revolutionary".

Look for an incremental, evolutionary change to the Corvette in 2014.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:11 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ZL-1
I'd expect the base C7 and later the ZR1 to be the same width. The C7 body is likely to be designed from the beginning to take as wide a tire/wheel
as anticipated without having to push out the fenders like they did for the C6 Z06.

With GM's bankruptcy and the need to extend the C6 for a few more years, it was a brilliant idea to add off-the-shelf Z06 wide fenders and wheels to
the base car and create an exciting and popular new model. But it might not happen again.
As said by Bert's post after yours it doesn't appear the C7 will be "revolutionary" i.e. an entirely new model. With that and the success of the GS, it's hard for me to think the C7 will make a step back to a narrow version like the C6 base. But I suspect the GS itself will be gone for the C7 introduction with only one model at launch. And no Jinx I really don't have a clue but the marketing side of this is very interesting with the bean counters vs the designers in debate.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:27 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

The words that are interesting are "I have seen it-it's not been published." Is he trying to say that Jalopnik is WAY off base?
Old 05-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
Words like "Revamped" and "Real step forward" mean something to me: It means he did NOT use words like "All new" and "Revolutionary".

Look for an incremental, evolutionary change to the Corvette in 2014.
We've already known that C7 would be based on C6, information provided directly by GM talking heads a long time ago. In the context of what we already know as basic fact from GM, his words add nothing.

As for "it's not been published and it's under wraps," if a single detail of the existing illustrations is incorrect, then technically Akerson is not lying. He's certainly not commenting specifically on the degree to which any or all illustrations are incorrect.

His tea leaves say nothing
Old 05-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Parker Corvette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The CEO's comments were very poorly worded and it's clear that there is no excitement at GM. As Crabby said, the bean counters are involved. I said that 50 comments ago. Tere were no words like cutting edge technology or any comment about styling, interior design or anything really. The interview leads me to belive I am right on target with my description of the C6.4. Same ole, same ole, once again. Every interview I have seen about the new Corvette has been less than exciting. Either they are good actors, or there is nothing to be excited about. You know which way I'm leaning.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:39 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Ronnie, you are right as well as others in that that statement has a lot of loaded words in it and appears carefully crafted to say, what? if anything.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:51 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Colorado C6
The CEO's comments were very poorly worded and it's clear that there is no excitement at GM. As Crabby said, the bean counters are involved. I said that 50 comments ago. Tere were no words like cutting edge technology or any comment about styling, interior design or anything really. The interview leads me to belive I am right on target with my description of the C6.4. Same ole, same ole, once again. Every interview I have seen about the new Corvette has been less than exciting. Either they are good actors, or there is nothing to be excited about. You know which way I'm leaning.
And for record, I'm leaning the other. Bean counters understand marketing and know that when introducing a new product (C7) you must differentiate it from the current product, thus significant changes moving forward. Eco 101 introduces the Law of Diminishing Returns where time has now almost run out for the C6 with so many out there. So it time to shake things up. We just don't know what that final equation looks like, thus we are all waiting patiently.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
Is he trying to say that Jalopnik is WAY off base?
No, he's succeeding in being vague, appearing to support whatever belief keeps your interest and excitement for the car.

Originally Posted by Colorado C6
The CEO's comments were very poorly worded and it's clear that there is no excitement at GM.
It's only clear to you. Delusion is like that.

Seriously, you too are reading way too much into it. Or just using it as another excuse to grind your axe. Which at this point is more like sharpening a big pencil.

.Jinx
Old 05-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That dude said nothing...

Get notified of new replies

To GM Chairman Akerson Comments on “Top Secret, Revamped” C7 Corvette

Old 05-02-2012, 01:45 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL-1

With GM's bankruptcy and the need to extend the C6 for a few more years, it was a brilliant idea to add off-the-shelf Z06 wide fenders and wheels to the base car and create an exciting and popular new model. But it might not happen again.
Agreed.

Let's also not forget about their focus on aerodynamics and the current base Corvette coupe's extremely low cd number (.286 I believe). They're likely going to want to at least match, or even beat that number with the C7 as well so I'm not sure just how wide or flared out this new car will go.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:50 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
And for record, I'm leaning the other. Bean counters understand marketing and know that when introducing a new product (C7) you must differentiate it from the current product, thus significant changes moving forward. Eco 101 introduces the Law of Diminishing Returns where time has now almost run out for the C6 with so many out there. So it time to shake things up. We just don't know what that final equation looks like, thus we are all waiting patiently.
GM is currently emerging from bankruptcy . . . I'm not sure Econ 101 is in their playbook yet. I will not be surprised if the C7 is exactly what the GM muckety-muck said it would be, a "revamp" of the C6.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:57 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
GM is currently emerging from bankruptcy . . . I'm not sure Econ 101 is in their playbook yet. I will not be surprised if the C7 is exactly what the GM muckety-muck said it would be, a "revamp" of the C6.
GM seems to be having no problem with product improvements over at Buick and Cadillac.

Quick Reply: GM Chairman Akerson Comments on “Top Secret, Revamped” C7 Corvette