Sponsored by:

Chevy Salesman Says...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:16 AM
CCrane65
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Chevy Salesman Says...

So I was talking to my salesman at my local Chevy dealer and he's tells me the C7 is very different from the C6 or C5. He seems to think its a good change and hopes it will rekindle interest in Corvettes.
He also said there would be a limited edition model called Stingray that is sort of retro. He didn't expand on that.

Anyone else hear anything like that from anyone in the new Chevy business?
Old 05-21-2012, 11:25 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

I would place about as much faith in anything a salesman says as I would in a politician's promise.........................
Old 05-21-2012, 11:35 AM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like your salesman is about the kind of kid that wears a helmet but doesn't play sports, if you know what I mean.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:17 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,445 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
I would place about as much faith in anything a salesman says as I would in a politician's promise.........................

Would be kind of neat to see the Stingray name make a comeback, tho.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:20 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickShoes
Sounds like your salesman is about the kind of kid that wears a helmet but doesn't play sports, if you know what I mean.
Most Chevy sales personnel know less about Corvettes than the average CF contributor . . .
Old 05-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,376 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickShoes
As the father of a child that wore a helmet, but didn't play sports, I could be highly offended, but I won't, because I am sure that was not your intent.

Some children wear helmets to encourage their skulls into a more symetrical shape. It has nothing to do with intellectual capacity. We chose not to treat her any differently. Many children and adults were curious and we just explained it to them without offense.

Oh, by the way not all short buses are for learning disabled students, some are for gifted programs.

Not offended, just educating.

Tthe salesman in question is probably speaking from ingorance rather than stupidity. They think they are getting good scoop and are jsut trying to share. It is rare shor the sales teams at dealerships to get good scoop this far in advance.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:34 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

I just happened to be in the # 1 jaguar dealer in the country on Saturday and was talking to aa salesperson about the new F-Type jag sports car that will be out next year. He said that the car will be out in april, first as a coupe. I know for a fact that he is wrong on both counts. The car will be out next summer at the earliest, and, at first, will only be offered as a convertible. Unfortunately, most car sales people don't know much about the cars sitting on their show room floors, and know much less about what is to come.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:39 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Racer X
As the father of a child that wore a helmet, but didn't play sports, I could be highly offended, but I won't, because I am sure that was not your intent.Some children wear helmets to encourage their skulls into a more symetrical shape. It has nothing to do with intellectual capacity. We chose not to treat her any differently. Many children and adults were curious and we just explained it to them without offense.

Oh, by the way not all short buses are for learning disabled students, some are for gifted programs.

Not offended, just educating.

Tthe salesman in question is probably speaking from ingorance rather than stupidity. They think they are getting good scoop and are jsut trying to share. It is rare shor the sales teams at dealerships to get good scoop this far in advance.
I took that remark to mean a kid who is a sports wannabe . . .
Old 05-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,376 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
I took that remark to mean a kid who is a sports wannabe . . .
Could be or maybe a motorcycle or bicycle rider....

Perhaps he will explain

Again, I am not offended, it's not like I have never been amused at a short bus joke. Not about children actually that ride them, but about those more capable but seemly don't use that capability.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:17 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint

Would be kind of neat to see the Stingray name make a comeback, tho.
Since GM has said the C7 would not have the Grand Sport, the 427 Convertible, the Z06 or the ZR1, maybe they are planning on resurrecting an old name or thinking up a new one. Since the 'Sting Ray' has such a favorable memory in most peoples eyes, it could make a comeback. I have an original 1964 Sting Ray in my garage, and I wouldn't mind seeing a 2014 Sting Ray in production.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:52 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I put no credibility in what 99% of car salesmen say. They have to prove anything to me first.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:29 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Since GM has said the C7 would not have the Grand Sport, the 427 Convertible, the Z06 or the ZR1, maybe they are planning on resurrecting an old name or thinking up a new one. Since the 'Sting Ray' has such a favorable memory in most peoples eyes, it could make a comeback. I have an original 1964 Sting Ray in my garage, and I wouldn't mind seeing a 2014 Sting Ray in production.
The Sting Ray was quite a design departure . . . Will the 2014 be a design departure? If it turns out that way, it would justify use of the Sting Ray nomenclature.

However, Chevy has really watered-down some venerable names like Impala and Malibu by applying them to four-door family sedans. No panache there.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:29 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

I wouldn't trust what any salesman says. Chevrolet has no reason to leak information to dealers. That would not gain either party anything.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Since GM has said the C7 would not have the Grand Sport, the 427 Convertible, the Z06 or the ZR1, maybe they are planning on resurrecting an old name or thinking up a new one.
GM said this? I missed it. Where did you hear/read it?
I wonder if the comment is not really about C7 but about the 2014 model year specifically -- I'd find that much easier to believe (but still not stated by GM so far as I recall).

This could be big news.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:11 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
I wonder if the comment is not really about C7 but about the 2014 model year specifically -- I'd find that much easier to believe (but still not stated by GM so far as I recall).

This could be big news.
I'm with you in this one. I remember a discussion about this from a few months ago it seems. I think GM may have said something about no offering a convertible the first year, and not offering Z06 or ZR1 models as well. The base C7 (with various trims and options) will be available for the first year. Or that is how I remember it. But surely there will be a Z06 and ZR1 down the line.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:28 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jinx

This could be big news.
It was mentioned in a salesman's brochure(not for the public to see, but now all over the Internet) about the upcoming 2013. I'm guessing GM wanted the salesmen to know that the above models had been dropped for 2014, to encourage them to push for 2013 C6 sales.

Page 4--

"Final Model Run — The Corvette’s 2013 model run, the 60th Anniversary of Corvette’s first model run in 1953, is scheduled to be the final one for the sixth generation Corvette and marks the end of the following models for some time:
• ZR1
• Z06
• 427 Convertible
• Grand Sport Coupe
• Grand Sport Convertible"

Page 1---

"GM Confidential. For GM salesperson use only. Not intended to be used for advertising purposes. Preproduction models shown. Actual production models will vary."

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-21-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:36 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
The Sting Ray was quite a design departure . . . Will the 2014 be a design departure? If it turns out that way, it would justify use of the Sting Ray nomenclature.

However, Chevy has really watered-down some venerable names like Impala and Malibu by applying them to four-door family sedans. No panache there.
While the Impala was only available in a two door hardtop and a convertible in it's first year, 1958; in 1959 it was available in a four door sedan, station wagon, etc. The Malibu was offered in 1964(first year of the Chevelle) across the line, from a hardtop to a 4 door sedan to a station wagon.

GM didn't wait 50 years to water down the Impala and the Malibu nameplates as they did that in the first and second year of production.

GM has never used the Sting Ray name on anything but the Corvette, so it wouldn't be watering down the name to apply it on the C7 in 2014.

Last edited by JoesC5; 05-21-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Chevy Salesman Says...

Old 05-21-2012, 06:42 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Randomly rambling: but the 427 seems to always get all the love but the 396 was on the scene first. Would be a really cool dig back in time to the very first big blocks offered by offering a small block form of the 396. The new one would utilize a pair of turbos, earning the right to keep the name "TurboJet". Either that or GM picks up Calloway as a factory offered option again. I can dream.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:50 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

It was mentioned in a salesman's brochure(not for the public to see, but now all over the Internet) about the upcoming 2013. I'm guessing GM wanted the salesmen to know that the above models had been dropped for 2014, to encourage them to push for 2013 C6 sales.

Page 4--

"Final Model Run — The Corvette’s 2013 model run, the 60th Anniversary of Corvette’s first model run in 1953, is scheduled to be the final one for the sixth generation Corvette and marks the end of the following models for some time:
• ZR1
• Z06
• 427 Convertible
• Grand Sport Coupe
• Grand Sport Convertible"

Page 1---

"GM Confidential. For GM salesperson use only. Not intended to be used for advertising purposes. Preproduction models shown. Actual production models will vary."
I say BS. My car was at a Chevy dealership before a certain show put on by the dealership. While I was waiting for my car to brought up, I spoke with the fleet manager and asked if they would be getting any early previews of the C7. His response, "most likley those of us on the forum would know more about the C7 then they would before it comes out". I call that an honest and refreshing answer based on all this my saleman said this and that saleman said that.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:13 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

While the Impala was only available in a two door hardtop and a convertible in it's first year, 1958; in 1959 it was available in a four door sedan, station wagon, etc. The Malibu was offered in 1964(first year of the Chevelle) across the line, from a hardtop to a 4 door sedan to a station wagon.

GM didn't wait 50 years to water down the Impala and the Malibu nameplates as they did that in the first and second year of production.

GM has never used the Sting Ray name on anything but the Corvette, so it wouldn't be watering down the name to apply it on the C7 in 2014.
Good points.
Let us also not forget that while the Sting Ray named did make it's debut during the awesome (64-67) 'mid year' era, the name Stingray was also still being applied to the somewhat lackluster 1976 L48 cars as well.

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Randomly rambling: but the 427 seems to always get all the love but the 396 was on the scene first. Would be a really cool dig back in time to the very first big blocks offered by offering a small block form of the 396.
I've also thought about the possibility of them using the old '396' designation again in some future small block LSx form. There was 'talk' at one point of GM building a 6.4L V8 (this was back before the 6.2L LS3 came out) and that would be roughly 392 cubic inches.
So maybe?

Quick Reply: Chevy Salesman Says...