Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 04:21 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by redvette77
Basically just a culmination of things we have heard. .... .

Rick Conti knows what? As fact?

Nothing guys and gals.

His blog is no better or factual than any magazine writer or other unknowing person on this forum posting "stuff". Assumptions only.

We'll all know the facts come January.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:32 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99

Nothing guys and gals.

His blog is no better or factual than any magazine writer or other unknowing person on this forum posting "stuff". Assumptions only.

True, that last thing.

However, Conti is probably in an excellent position to find things out sooner, and present them on this board . . . As RUMORS, to protect his standing with The General.

I'm hoping for a vendor or supplier to help us, too . . . But, I'll listen to what Conti has to say.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:43 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing guys and gals.

I disagree. As I said earlier, I have met Rick at Corvette events and he is quite close to the GM guys who could feed him limited info to pass along. He also has a reputation to uphold and, as such, probably wouldn't say anything vs saying something that he wasn't sure of. Bottom line is he is the only guy I have heard anything from SO FAR that I would really trust.

He didn't state a lot of facts. He stated that the rear end is not as depicted so far. He also stated that DI and widebody are happening.

And yes, we will ALL know the facts come January.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

It seems reasonable that GM might tell a particularly well-regarded Corvette seller something like, "don't worry, the butt doesn't look like that" or "a widebody is part of the plan." That's not spoiling anything, but it's informative.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:50 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I disagree. As I said earlier, I have met Rick at Corvette events and he is quite close to the GM guys who could feed him limited info to pass along. .... .
Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
.... However, Conti is probably in an excellent position to find things out sooner, and present them on this board . . . As RUMORS, to protect his standing with The General. .....
If Conti is in an excellent position to find things out, do you not think several other much larger dealers are not in an even better position to know? And if they have heard anything factual, which I frankly doubt, they are keeping their mouth shut. That is what GM wants.

My dealer's manager is very 'connected' with Corvette matters, and knows nothing. Or maybe he does. Hmmmm. But he is saying nothing, nada, zilch, zero!
Old 06-30-2012, 05:35 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

If Conti is in an excellent position to find things out, do you not think several other much larger dealers are not in an even better position to know? And if they have heard anything factual, which I frankly doubt, they are keeping their mouth shut. That is what GM wants.

My dealer's manager is very 'connected' with Corvette matters, and knows nothing. Or maybe he does. Hmmmm. But he is saying nothing, nada, zilch, zero!
Holy Cannoli! A conundrum!

Conti is talking to us. That's what matters. Anybody's free to disregard what he says, but I doubt many will.

Last edited by SanDiegoBert; 06-30-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:42 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

Best news for me is the taillights being wrong. I don't know anyone that is a fan the faux-Camaro ones we've seen depicted.

Can't wait to see it!
Old 06-30-2012, 05:42 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

He didn't state a lot of fact but he certainly quelled a negative rumor. He has been a consistently straightforward figure around here for a long time who doesn't do 'speculation' so I have no reason to doubt what little he has said now. I have no idea about any other dealers or what they might or might not say.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:00 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Bert and Babe, anybody can say the taillights are this, or that, or the Jalop depiction is wrong. They have a 50/50 chance of being correct.

I believe everybody is 'speculating' at this point, or is speaking out of turn. We do know that no other dealer is blogging, speculating, or doing anything. They are starting to take deposits on an unknown commodity; the C7.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:07 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Bert and Babe, anybody can say the taillights are this, or that, or the Jalop depiction is wrong. They have a 50/50 chance of being correct.

I believe everybody is 'speculating' at this point, or is speaking out of turn. We do know that no other dealer is blogging, speculating, or doing anything. They are starting to take deposits on an unknown commodity; the C7.
Then you and others who aren't interested in a particular person's opinion can simply ignore it. Not sure why you are so adamant that Conti is 100% uninformed, but you have a right to that opinion.

I hope Conti continues with his "tidbits" . . . They do seem to bring out the best in people, don't they?
Old 06-30-2012, 06:10 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Then you and others who aren't interested in a particular person's opinion can simply ignore it. Not sure why you are so adamant that Conti is 100% uninformed, but you have a right to that opinion.

I hope Conti continues with his "tidbits" . . . They do seem to bring out the best in people, don't they?
In the end it is a speculation about a speculation...
Old 06-30-2012, 06:11 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

.... who aren't interested in a particular person's opinion can simply ignore it. ....
Bingo!!!!
Old 06-30-2012, 06:32 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Bingo!!!!
Bingo, indeed.

I'll take Conti's opinion over most others. I regard his opinion as being . . . (wait for it) . . . "informed" . . .

As a gross example, suppose some GM suit affiliated with the C7 design team says, "Nah, it doesn't resemble that sketch at all".

Merely an opinion? I think not. It's an informed opinion. It's not an On/Off switch.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:52 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I respect Rick's comments too. I just believe we're all speculating yet. Soon, we'll know.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:34 PM
ILLUSHN
Safety Car

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

I love those headlights!
Old 07-01-2012, 05:25 AM
JLinCA
Drifting

Originally Posted by BlueOx
OK, this has nothing to do with Rick Conti but I am going to ask a question I haven't heard anyone else ask.

Look closely at this picture, specifically at the transaxle area below the pipes under the car. Is that the same transaxle you have on your C6? It doesn't look like my '05. Is it maybe like your later model Vette? Mine has an anti-roll bar that is really obvious and this one doesn't. BTW, I can't really tell much about it otherwise than it has 7+ white LED-looking backup lights in the center of the tailights. CLICK on the bar above the pic to see it much larger.
Looks to me like the same basic boxy rear shape as shown in the Jalopy rendering.

Whatever those rectangular things are, they are freakin hideous.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:58 AM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by JLinNY
Looks to me like the same basic boxy rear shape as shown in the Jalopy rendering.

Whatever those rectangular things are, they are freakin hideous.
Those "rectangular things" are simply part of the camo. The taillights may be shaped like that, and they may not. Way too early to worry too much about it.

Get notified of new replies

To Small possible tidbits from Rick Conti's Blog

Old 07-01-2012, 12:31 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Default I'll take Rick for $500, Alex..............

What might be pertinent here is to look back at Rick's track record on these kinds of things. This isn't his first time around the block on the introduction of new Corvette models, nor is it his first dealership. IIRC, he has done this before, and been accurate if guarded in his comments.

While he may not have all of the details - nor spill everything he knows - my gut reaction is to take his word as being better than anyone else's that I know of on this Forum!

No offense intended if there truly is a GM insider posting here, or to those of you who may have ESP................

Last edited by tuxnharley; 07-01-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:17 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by redvette77
Those "rectangular things" are simply part of the camo. The taillights may be shaped like that, and they may not. Way too early to worry too much about it.

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
What might be pertinent here is to look back at Rick's track record on these kinds of things. This isn't his first time around the block on the introduction of new Corvette models, nor is it his first dealership. IIRC, he has done this before, and been accurate if guarded in his comments.

While he may not have all of the details - nor spill everything he knows - my gut reaction is to take his word as being better than anyone else's that I know of on this Forum!

No offense intended if there truly is a GM insider posting here, or to those of you who may have ESP................

That's a good point as well.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:30 PM
jdhommert
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
I interpret "the widebody project is in play now" to mean that they are working on one now, not that we will see it at the MY2014 introduction or even in MY2014 at all.

Sigh. This is why grammar and punctuation matter. We'll have to wait for clarification.

.Jinx
this

widebody in play to me sounds like they have one approved and they are working on some version of a corvette with a wide body

that could mean a z06 a zr1 a z51 an appearance package or a fat chick

Quick Reply: Small possible tidbits from Rick Conti's Blog