Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK what is up with these vents?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 07:38 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default OK what is up with these vents?!

OK, now that we know the Jalopnik C7 renderings are accurate, (and the Car and Driver pic below) what do you think is the purpose behind these vents at the top of the rear fenders??
Old 07-09-2012, 07:47 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

Just maybe they FINALLY designed a flow thru system so when your windows are down and / or the top is off you don't sound like you're sitting in a freaking wind tunnel!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:49 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
Just maybe they FINALLY designed a flow thru system so when your windows are down and / or the top is off you don't sound like you're sitting in a freaking wind tunnel!
Hey, good point! Hadn't thought of that.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:37 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

C'mon, folks...I know you all have opinions!
Old 07-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Trans/Diff cooling. That's what they're used for on the racecars.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:43 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

I think it's just something they threw in there as a decoration, like that horrible chrome trim around the side fender openings as shown in the side view rendering.

This kind of crap seems to be the in thing at GM.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:53 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by JLinNY
I think it's just something they threw in there as a decoration, like that horrible chrome trim around the side fender openings as shown in the side view rendering.

It would be hard to believe they have come to that. All the aerodynamics work they have done would be wasted if those were just ornamental grills on the hood and fenders with no real purpose.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:05 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
That's one of the most logical suggestions ...or they could be rear brake/rear differential cooling ducts (moved up top from down below where the little scoops on the C6 are located)?

Not likely.

Originally Posted by BlueOx
It would be hard to believe they have come to that. All the aerodynamics work they have done would be wasted if those were just ornamental grills on the hood and fenders with no real purpose.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:17 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

C 6 R has those vents
Old 07-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The position is very similar to the intake that the 550 Maranello had for its transaxle cooler: http://www.thecarpictures.info/image...llo-012-1.jpeg

The direction of the vanes in the Jalopnik renderings suggest an extractor, so possibly something to relieve wheel-well pressures for reduced lift. It's positioned a little forward for that, though.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:23 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

I can only guess based on this Viper description...
Hood, roof and decklid are carbon fiber; doors and rockers are aluminum. All vents functional including the B-pillar scoops for the differential cooling. Windshield and side-view mirrors are the only carryover parts.

Could be that.

The only other thing I can think of is some crazy way to vent air out from under the C7, reducing lift and adding to rear end downforce.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:23 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,445 Likes on 2,271 Posts

My guess is to reduce lift. Brake cooling vents obviously forward of rear wheel well.

Hadn't thought of transaxle cooling, but that's possible as well.

Or it could be to slowly introduce Corvette owners to visual concept of air intakes/vents in that location - ya know, get them used to the sight of it - so when they see similar intakes/vents, but even more prounounced, on the mid-engined C8 for its engine, they don't freak out about the styling aspect of it. . . . .
Old 07-10-2012, 12:19 AM
stano
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have yet to see a "rendering" that looks close to the actual car in person.
I have seen photos of cars that look great and the car in person looks worse. What does all this mean? Hell, I don't know

Until I can get up close and personal I'll save my opinion until then.

****, my crack pipe just went out.....
Old 07-10-2012, 03:19 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
My guess is to reduce lift. Brake cooling vents obviously forward of rear wheel well.
Won't taking air out of the airstream at that point lower pressure behind it and increase rear end lift? Of course, if the fender line is rising pressure's increasing and they can afford it... or pulling air out at that point could pull air up from the side... aero is a tricky business. I sure don't understand it.

Or it could be to slowly introduce Corvette owners to visual concept of air intakes/vents in that location - ya know, get them used to the sight of it - so when they see similar intakes/vents, but even more prounounced, on the mid-engined C8 for its engine, they don't freak out about the styling aspect of it. . . . .
The opposite of vestigal
Old 07-10-2012, 04:34 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's an explanation for fender vents to reduce pressure/lift on another forum which (I think) makes sense:

"One reason is that the airflows around the fender and underbody ahead of the wheel well tends to be of higher velocity and lower pressure. So when it dumps into the larger (diffusing) volume created by the wheel well, the airflow naturally loses velocity and locally increases in pressure.
To mitigate this situation, closed wheel race car bodywork use spoiler lips at the front edge of the wheel opening, fender louvers above the wheel well, and extractor ducts behind the wheel well*. All of these devices serve to create a zone of reduced airflow pressure within the wheel well volume."

Within that discussion was mention of Jim Hall's Chaparral race cars, which used fender vents for that purpose: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/image...hevrolet_8.jpg

Some of the streamlined "Rekordwagens" of the '30s seemed to employ a similar method, even with vents in front of the rear axle line, so I guess that could work on the C7 too.
http://tinyurl.com/7j5vq72
http://tenamp.com/slot/carrera-27355-10.jpg

*If the Jalopnik renderings are any indication, then the C7 like the new Viper will have functional extractors at the rear too, perhaps the vertical slats in the lower rear fascia. The louvers on the covers of the camouflaged mules point to a top fender extraction vents as well.
http://www.corvetteconti.com/photo-g...E-PICTURES.jpg

Last edited by Guibo; 07-10-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:21 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by John T
C 6 R has those vents
If you are talking about the vent shown in the upper right of this pic, I would guess by the shape of the vent that they are all about cooling. I doubt that is the same as what we are seeing in the renderings of the C7.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:26 AM
GmdVT
Burning Brakes

Received 677 Likes on 228 Posts

My "source" at GM informs me those are intakes for the scramjet engine which activates in 8th gear.

Get notified of new replies

To OK what is up with these vents?!

Old 07-10-2012, 08:30 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by GmdVT
My "source" at GM informs me those are intakes for the scramjet engine which activates in 8th gear.
The unicorn fart expansion vents...
Old 07-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Z06Fiend
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guibo
Here's an explanation for fender vents to reduce pressure/lift on another forum which (I think) makes sense:

"One reason is that the airflows around the fender and underbody ahead of the wheel well tends to be of higher velocity and lower pressure. So when it dumps into the larger (diffusing) volume created by the wheel well, the airflow naturally loses velocity and locally increases in pressure.
To mitigate this situation, closed wheel race car bodywork use spoiler lips at the front edge of the wheel opening, fender louvers above the wheel well, and extractor ducts behind the wheel well*. All of these devices serve to create a zone of reduced airflow pressure within the wheel well volume."

Within that discussion was mention of Jim Hall's Chaparral race cars, which used fender vents for that purpose: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/image...hevrolet_8.jpg

Some of the streamlined "Rekordwagens" of the '30s seemed to employ a similar method, even with vents in front of the rear axle line, so I guess that could work on the C7 too.
http://tinyurl.com/7j5vq72
http://tenamp.com/slot/carrera-27355-10.jpg

*If the Jalopnik renderings are any indication, then the C7 like the new Viper will have functional extractors at the rear too, perhaps the vertical slats in the lower rear fascia. The louvers on the covers of the camouflaged mules point to a top fender extraction vents as well.
http://www.corvetteconti.com/photo-g...E-PICTURES.jpg
I believe this is the reason for the vents. On a recent ALMS broadcast I remember them discussing a similar vent that had recently been introduced into the C6R, and it was for reducing lift at the wheel well openings. Makes sense that the hi-performance version of the street car would borrow it.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:00 AM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Its a Vette. They will be functional. I am starting to like what I see.

Quick Reply: OK what is up with these vents?!