C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What will you do?
I will only buy an AWD C8 Corvette.
6.21%
I'll pay a few $K more for an AWD C8, accepting typical present-day compromises to get the benefits.
24.14%
If AWD is optional I'll buy the RWD C8; not worried about any compromises in an optional-AWD design.
13.10%
I will only buy a RWD C8 Corvette that is not compromised by an AWD option.
32.41%
Screw all that; make the next Corvette a mid-rear-engined car. (Pack light, honey.)
11.03%
Buy? New? Madness!
13.10%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

AWD Corvette: make your choice.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:55 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
Go drive a Lotus Elise or Ferrari 48 and then a GT-R right after, and tell be which one has better dynamics.
I'd be happy to discuss the differences between handling finesse and lap times, as long as you are willing to acknowledge the difference.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,373 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by Notch
I'd be happy to discuss the differences between handling finesse and lap times, as long as you are willing to acknowledge the difference.
Absolutely there is a difference. As evidenced by the fact that the Corvette has many times outpaced the competition on the track. However, It does not have the handling qualities of an Elise or 458.

I went from a 2001 Z06 to a 2005 Elise with the Sport Pack with R spec tires. The Z-06 could post better times (grant a better power to weight), but the Elise had a much better feel, dynamics, and finesse. They had different handling characteristics at the limits, when braking, and accelerating.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:19 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts

Absolutely there is a difference. As evidenced by the fact that the Corvette has many times outpaced the competition on the track. However, It does not have the handling qualities of an Elise or 458.

I went from a 2001 Z06 to a 2005 Elise with the Sport Pack with R spec tires. The Z-06 could post better times (grant a better power to weight), but the Elise had a much better feel, dynamics, and finesse. They had different handling characteristics at the limits, when braking, and accelerating.
Are you really comparing a 2000lb RWD cars handling on a post about AWD in a Vette?

Like I said the GTR is a successfull experiment. There obviously is more there. Who is going to tap that!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 08-24-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:51 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,373 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by johnglenntwo
Are you really comparing a 2000lb AWD cars handling on a post about AWD in a Vette?

Like I said the GTR is a successfull experiment. There obviously is more there. Who is going to tap that!

No I was addressing a specific question of me. The Elise is not AWD it RWD rear mid configuration.

It was an example for the discussion of better of handling, faster lap times versus feel.

The GT-R may meet definition of success. It is way to heavy to meet mine.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:27 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Right on, I meant RWD!

No I was addressing a specific question of me. The Elise is not AWD it RWD rear mid configuration.

It was an example for the discussion of better of handling, faster lap times versus feel.

The GT-R may meet definition of success. It is way to heavy to meet mine.
That's quite a contrast and an almost 1900lb difference, and the GTR can clean one of those puppies clocks at all times. Those Elises remind me of 2X scaled up go carts! And in any way comparing one to a Vette is a way different mentality? Even the heavier boxster allows for looser suspensions where you can basically rock it into a corner. That doesn't work with a Vette, which, has to be stiff disallowing its engine weight to shoot back diagonally.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:01 AM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Notch
How do you know? Did they compare a RWD Aventador to a AWD Aventador on the same day/same track/same conditions with the same driver? The only way to get close to determining whether or not a RWD Aventador is faster around a track than an AWD Aventador is to test it against a RWD Aventador that is exactly the same (including weight) as the AWD Aventador.

You can't compare an AWD Aventador to other RWD cars as the contribution of AWD (negative or positive) can not be extrapolated accurately doing this. There are way too many variables to be able to focus solely on AWD.
Good points. And in fact, the article mentions (once again) poor braking performance from Lamborghini:
"there was the little issue of complete and total brake fade on Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Randy did his usual three fast laps, pulled into the pits, and got out of the car saying, 'Jonny, there are no brakes left at all. You're going to have to pump the pedal three times to get any stop.'"

In the last corner, the BRZ (on its tiny Prius-like tires) generated 36% more braking g than the Aventador, which generated on average lower cornering g than the GT-R (which placed ahead of many RWD cars, and 2nd only to the 458 last year); surely suggesting that the implementation matters just as much as the hardware, if not moreso.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AWD Corvette: make your choice.