C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What will you do?
I will only buy an AWD C8 Corvette.
6.21%
I'll pay a few $K more for an AWD C8, accepting typical present-day compromises to get the benefits.
24.14%
If AWD is optional I'll buy the RWD C8; not worried about any compromises in an optional-AWD design.
13.10%
I will only buy a RWD C8 Corvette that is not compromised by an AWD option.
32.41%
Screw all that; make the next Corvette a mid-rear-engined car. (Pack light, honey.)
11.03%
Buy? New? Madness!
13.10%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

AWD Corvette: make your choice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Default AWD Corvette: make your choice.

Let's say C7 is only a 5-6 year run, and so Tadge & co need to shortlist the technologies and designs to consider for C8 in the next eight months. They need to know what you're going to do when the time comes. What will you do?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:46 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I voted for the mid-engined C8 though I know it's still highly unlikely to ever happen...but would consider an AWD Corvette if it didn't add an exorbitant amount of weight (less than 75 pounds) or cost (less then $1k) to what a typical RWD C8 might run, otherwise I don't want it.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:07 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a C7 forum, not C8.

Besides, the AWD C7 options/model will not have any more "compromises" than a RWD does.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

As if discussion of AWD to date has been restricted to what we oughta get during C7's reign.

GM doesn't have AWD engineering that fits Corvette. (Adapting Corvette to one of their existing systems means a seriously-compromised design.) They already have the AWD they need for other platforms, so it's an investment whose cost must be borne by Corvette alone. Most tech considered for Corvette has the potential to pay dividends in GM's volume business -- truck powerplants, anything that increases chassis strength or reduces mass... not so for Corvette AWD. (Not ICE mechanical AWD anyway; electric hybrid a la NSX is another matter.) Funds aren't unlimited, so what other improvements don't happen so that Corvette can be AWD? What gets cut? That's a whole different kind of compromise. The counter-argument of course is that Corvette won't be viable in the market without AWD, but I don't buy it, not for the volume model, and ZR-1 shouldn't be wagging Corvette's tail.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Corvette has to stay within range of the GTR's launch time. Use AWD only if it's necessary to reach this goal.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:52 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jinx
As if discussion of AWD to date has been restricted to what we oughta get during C7's reign.

GM doesn't have AWD engineering that fits Corvette. (Adapting Corvette to one of their existing systems means a seriously-compromised design.) They already have the AWD they need for other platforms, so it's an investment whose cost must be borne by Corvette alone. Most tech considered for Corvette has the potential to pay dividends in GM's volume business -- truck powerplants, anything that increases chassis strength or reduces mass... not so for Corvette AWD. (Not ICE mechanical AWD anyway; electric hybrid a la NSX is another matter.) Funds aren't unlimited, so what other improvements don't happen so that Corvette can be AWD? What gets cut? That's a whole different kind of compromise. The counter-argument of course is that Corvette won't be viable in the market without AWD, but I don't buy it, not for the volume model, and ZR-1 shouldn't be wagging Corvette's tail.
That hasn't resulted in a purely C8 thread until now. Go do it in the C6 section.

I admit that the whole AWD discussion is full of assumptions and I make a lot of them but you make more assumptions than even I do in this quote. The biggest one is that the C7 generation will NOT have an AWD model or option. You do not know that.

-You DO NOT know that GM doesn't have AWD engineering to fit Corvette.

-You are TOTALLY WRONG about the idea that AWD for Corvette couldn't pay dividends to other volume business. You telling me that lighter, more high-performance AWD wouldn't benefit a large number of GM vehicles??

-Another huge assumption that you make is about something being cut or compromised just because of an AWD system. How about compromises from the Gen V motor? EVERY car has compromises of some kind. What matters is which compromises will a potential buyer look past for the benefits they want.

-Nobody anywhere on this forum has said that Corvette will not be viable w/o AWD. The real idea that you refuse to acknowledge is that Corvette needs to expand it's global target audiences for better sales now and into the future and that AWD is only one potential tool.

Last edited by BlueOx; 07-26-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:54 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I voted for the mid-engined C8 though I know it's still highly unlikely to ever happen...but would consider an AWD Corvette if it didn't add an exorbitant amount of weight (less than 75 pounds) or cost (less then $1k) to what a typical RWD C8 might run, otherwise I don't want it.
Where did you see a poll option for "mid-engined C8"? I assume you meant rear mid engined, since we all understand that even the C6 is already front mid engined......... Never mind - apparently I have ADD and/or can't read - my bad....!

I agree that your cost and weight parameters would be desirable from the customer perspective, but am not sure they are viable in actuality.

Last edited by tuxnharley; 07-26-2012 at 01:02 PM. Reason: stupidity..........
Old 07-26-2012, 12:59 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BlueOx
That hasn't resulted in a purely C8 thread until now. Go do it in the C6 section.
That would seem to make even less sense than leaving it here in the C7 section. How is two generations removed better than one........?
Old 07-26-2012, 01:17 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
That would seem to make even less sense than leaving it here in the C7 section. How is two generations removed better than one........?
Yeah ok...my point is it is ridiculous to even be talking about a C8 when it is still at least 7 years (or more) before we could even buy a C8. A few here want to just write off the C7 before they really know anything about it for sure.

Last edited by BlueOx; 07-26-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:29 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Yeah ok...my point is it is ridiculous to even be talking about a C8 when it is still at least 7 years (or more) before we could even buy a C8. A few here want to just write off the C7 before they really know anything about it for sure.
I know; just couldn't resist havin' a little fun with ya!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

C6 Discussion had "purely C7" threads before C7 Discussion existed. Get over it.

AWD in C7 -- you're quite the optimist. Considering what we've been told of C7's development and what we can see in the mule and spy photos, I'm calling it unlikely. Anyone else who disagrees is free to chime in.

AWD engineering to fit Corvette -- not in production. Maybe the new ATS; we might know better when the press gets to borrow one.

Radical AWD technology could pay dividends. I know you're enamored of the Ferrari system. Maybe carbon-fiber shafts? Okay, sure. But otherwise I don't see the payoff, in that GM already has AWD in the volume models where it's beneficial. They can't donate to Corvette's much higher power requirements or its packaging, so you're speculating a lot for technology transfer.

It's not a huge assumption that there's a limited development budget. Of course money spent on Gen V can't be spent elsewhere either, but the payoff for Gen V is more immediate and widespread -- Corvette and trucks get power and efficiency.

"-Nobody anywhere on this forum has said that Corvette will not be viable w/o AWD." I'll not bother to wade through the thousands of AWD posts to find the clear implications and actual statements of prognosticated doom. Believe what you like. I suppose if every AWD thread going forward refrains from this prognostication you may have a point.

I fully acknowledge that AWD is only one potential tool to expand Corvette's market.

I'd hate to see Corvette invest in a conventional AWD system and then have the trick Porsche and NSX show that their approach works better. That would suck.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:28 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jinx
C6 Discussion had "purely C7" threads before C7 Discussion existed. Get over it.

AWD in C7 -- you're quite the optimist. Considering what we've been told of C7's development and what we can see in the mule and spy photos, I'm calling it unlikely. Anyone else who disagrees is free to chime in.

AWD engineering to fit Corvette -- not in production. Maybe the new ATS; we might know better when the press gets to borrow one.

Radical AWD technology could pay dividends. I know you're enamored of the Ferrari system. Maybe carbon-fiber shafts? Okay, sure. But otherwise I don't see the payoff, in that GM already has AWD in the volume models where it's beneficial. They can't donate to Corvette's much higher power requirements or its packaging, so you're speculating a lot for technology transfer.

It's not a huge assumption that there's a limited development budget. Of course money spent on Gen V can't be spent elsewhere either, but the payoff for Gen V is more immediate and widespread -- Corvette and trucks get power and efficiency.

"-Nobody anywhere on this forum has said that Corvette will not be viable w/o AWD." I'll not bother to wade through the thousands of AWD posts to find the clear implications and actual statements of prognosticated doom. Believe what you like. I suppose if every AWD thread going forward refrains from this prognostication you may have a point.

I fully acknowledge that AWD is only one potential tool to expand Corvette's market.

I'd hate to see Corvette invest in a conventional AWD system and then have the trick Porsche and NSX show that their approach works better. That would suck.
Yes, I try to be an optimist. We haven't been told much of anything official beyond it will have a Gen V engine/it won't have a 6 banger/probably a 7 speed.

You said "GM doesn't have AWD engineering that fits Corvette". You didn't say "in production". Obviously if it was for the C7, we wouldn't expect to see it in production yet.

I believe the ATS is using the same Haldex AWD system that the XTS will be using.

It is a safe assumption that the budget is limited as all budgets by nature are limited or it would just be MONEY! Payoff could be in lighter/stronger AWD which will help increase fuel efficiency in almost any car/suv/crossover GM might think of.

Are you saying the potential Corvette AWD system has higher power requirements than a 12 cyl. 650+hp Ferrari that weighs a lot more? The FF has a very different system (way beyond carbon fiber shafts) that uses a different strategy.

GM has licensed MSRC to Ferrari and maybe Ferrari returns the favor...OK, probably not. They'd want it in the Viper first!

Well, the 'doom' (if anyone actually said that wasn't kidding) is if Corvette doesn't start growing better sales. I've always said AWD would be a great model/option that could bring new audiences into the Corvette sales picture.

So are you more worried the Vette might not have AWD at all or that the system they come up with might be outclassed by Porsche or the NSX?
Old 07-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

If you don't like the poll; create your own.

There are plenty other threads to discuss it, and it has been done ad nauseum.

This is a put up your money poll.

It is not required to comment to vote.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:35 PM
John_R
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Living in Quebec Canada land of snow, I would not even consider an AWD. You can't even use it in the snow for the simple reason the car sits too low.

It will handle better in the wet, but the turning radius will diminish and maintenance costs will increase.

Not to mention the added weight which also will unbalance the car from its near 50/50 weight bias.

Only if it was designed up from a fresh new sheet (ALL-NEW chassis/body) design it would be implemented as an option.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:20 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

RWD is my first choice (and I voted accordingly)

Rear/mid engine is second choice.

AWD would be way, way down my list of wants on the Corvette.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:01 PM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

FR or bust. I will not accept the alternatives.

And there will be no AWD C7s. Unlesz you build it yourself.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:51 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
I agree that your cost and weight parameters would be desirable from the customer perspective, but am not sure they are viable in actuality.
I don't think my parameters can be met either and THAT'S why I love the Corvette's current front-mid engine/RWD layout so much...light, cheap (relatively speaking) and FAST.

Get notified of new replies

To AWD Corvette: make your choice.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:02 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

I remember reading that in the early 60's Enzo was very, very slow to change his F1 cars to a rear engine configuration and this hurt the company. My point is that Ferrari now stands for everything cool..not just front engine - rear drive, but anything goes to make it go. BlueOx is right, Corvette is not about any particular configuration but about speed , beauty, and whatever it takes to achieve those goals.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:36 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by John T
I remember reading that in the early 60's Enzo was very, very slow to change his F1 cars to a rear engine configuration and this hurt the company. My point is that Ferrari now stands for everything cool..not just front engine - rear drive, but anything goes to make it go. BlueOx is right, Corvette is not about any particular configuration but about speed , beauty, and whatever it takes to achieve those goals.
Good points and I agree with most of it. But I (and many others) just DON'T want to see the base Corvette become a 3800+ pound $100k car like a certain Nissan is.
Although I must admit, the idea of Nissan GTR performance results out of a base ($52k) Corvette would certainly be acceptable (but also impossible).
Old 07-27-2012, 08:22 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Good points and I agree with most of it. But I (and many others) just DON'T want to see the base Corvette become a 3800+ pound $100k car like a certain Nissan is.
Although I must admit, the idea of Nissan GTR performance results out of a base ($52k) Corvette would certainly be acceptable (but also impossible).
A 'base' Corvette would not be AWD. IMO, it would be a separate model or a pricey option. It certainly wouldn't be a giveaway and it sure wouldn't weight 3800 lbs or they wouldn't bother doing it.

Quick Reply: AWD Corvette: make your choice.