C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Ousts Marketing Chief- how will C7 be impacted?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 12:23 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by 89L98
NADA. The Vette basically sells it self............to us. If it looks good and performs better than the C6, which it will, I will be OK with my purchase. Overall, I think the days of 20K units sold per year are long gone. 15k to 20k sold C7s per year would be considered a success by GM going forward.
I don't see 15k to 20K a year as successful. In the early '90's GM was selling ~20,000 Corvettes annually. In 1992, GM was ready to pull the plug on the Corvette, but a few Corvette lovers within GM fought for the Corvette and convinced GM into spending $250,000,000 to design and tool a new generation Corvette. The resulting C5 started selling 35,000 annually.

I don't see why this can't be repeated.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I predict sales for the c7 will be between 25,000 to 30,000.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:14 PM
roundlight lover
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are no such things as "people".
There are no such things as "politicians".
There are no such things as "car companies".
There ARE such things as "dreamers".
There ARE such things as "visionaries".
And, there ARE such things "miralces".

Corvette has been the product of the last three above.
Should the world stage cause Corvette to become a brand unto itself,run by an elite group of independents like Ferrari, so be it.
The fact that GM, let alone Chevy, has been the force behind it, matters not to the future.
If this USA is a country of entrepreneurs, let those same folks find a way.
Imagine a line of Corvette that would include such models as the Nomad, the Stingray, the Mako Shark, even the Manta Ray. All totally impractical vehicles, of course, but with a true nod to the incredible fan base that has been united - not only in ownership, but even in spirit.
Just a thought. If GM and the Chevy division can't handle the uniqueness of Corvette.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:14 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

[QUOTE= I don't see why this can't be repeated.[/QUOTE]

1. Crappy economy for the foreseeable future coupled with increasing MSRPs.

2. Increased competition for the "sports car" buyer's dollars.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
It would be interesting to know what GM's global Corvette sales expectations really are. Selling only to a consistently shrinking demographic that will buy with minor styling and performance improvements, while necessary, is not a recipe for future global sales growth.

If you are right that the days of 20k sales in the U.S. are over, they need to find more sales somewhere else.

It is easy to forget that GM, like Ford and Chrysler, is not an American company any longer. They are all multi-nationals. This is one of the main reasons why they need to compete in ALMS with euro cars. They have shown they are every bit as good a performance car as the euros. Now they must improve other perceived quality and drivability objections like the interiors and traction issues to clinch the deal.
I don't agree with any of that.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:22 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
I don't agree with any of that.
OK. Don't agree with it but it is all true.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I doubt Corvette will return to over-30K/yr unit sales unless melancholy lifts from the middle class.

But I bet GM has a plan to be profitable at 24K/yr. (Expect to get rooked if you want the good stuff.) I think C7 can do that -- yes, double current sales -- if the interior is excellent.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:54 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

but it is all true.
Pretty bold statement there, no?
You threw out what appears to be some opinions and subjectivity there yet you're calling it all fact simply because you said it?
Wow.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:53 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
You threw out what appears to be some opinions and subjectivity there yet you're calling it all fact simply because you said it?
Wow.
I don't think there is much that is bold there. It's all pretty obvious isn't it? I mean based on what was said before.

Last edited by BlueOx; 08-05-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Wow.
I'm seeing a lot of that sort of thing on here lately. But to be fair, the cryptic comment to which he was responding probably deserved the pithy response...
Old 08-05-2012, 10:08 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Argent C5
I'm seeing a lot of that sort of thing on here lately. But to be fair, the cryptic comment to which he was responding probably deserved the pithy response...
What you are seeing is a lot of speculation and opinion about something we know very little about.

I didn't say anything because anyone "deserved" it. I simply believe what I said to be the truth based on others' comments. People have certainly disagreed with me before.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

What you are seeing is a lot of speculation and opinion about something we know very little about.

I didn't say anything because anyone "deserved" it. I simply believe what I said to be the truth based on others' comments. People have certainly disagreed with me before.
OK, although I still think the comment you responded to would have been more interesting had the commenter actually stated what he believed -- so my opinion is he deserved it

Seriously, not trying to be "grammar police" or anything, but why did you say "OK. Don't agree with it but it is all true" when apparently you meant -- "...but I believe it is all true?" Did I miss the emoticon or something?

Just asking...
Old 08-06-2012, 12:08 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Please let's not all be so sensitive that we demand each other explicitly state "in my opinion" or "I believe" at the beginning of every post.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:26 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jinx
Please let's not all be so sensitive that we demand each other explicitly state "in my opinion" or "I believe" at the beginning of every post.
Nothing to do with "sensitivity." One one way of saying things suggests it is what you think, the other strongly implies what you know. I listen to talk radio now and then -- the good ones are crystal clear, giving opinions which are obviously just that with clear and logical supporting arguments. There is another type, and I cannot figure out why they are popular, that spout off as if everything they say is a fact and just try to shout over their guests and callers.

Read the posts here, and it will be obvious which posters are which type...
Old 08-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

If it's obvious, then you don't need to ask "why didn't you say 'I believe'" do you? You could actually challenge his facts, or you could let them go, but instead... you factually state that they aren't facts. Maybe you should have said "I believe you should have said 'I believe'..."

Because, you know, what we need here is more pedants....
Old 08-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,375 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Maybe we will get a better Corvette campaign. I mean, he was fired tight. Perhas because he is a poor decisionmaker.

i saw a Corvette commercial this weeked. It was about the ring time. It worked for me!

Although the boyhood dream was good as well.

Maybe a boyhood dream where he is on the ring setting a record time, and then after the finish line it keeps acceleration and takes off like a rocket!
Old 08-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jinx
If it's obvious, then you don't need to ask "why didn't you say 'I believe'" do you? You could actually challenge his facts, or you could let them go, but instead... you factually state that they aren't facts. Maybe you should have said "I believe you should have said 'I believe'..."

Because, you know, what we need here is more pedants....
At least here you said what you meant. Fine, I can always deal with that.

You totally missed what I meant by "obvious," however -- it was about "argument" vs. contradiction (great Monty Python bit). But, I guess I did not make my point very well...

Get notified of new replies

To GM Ousts Marketing Chief- how will C7 be impacted?

Old 08-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

I love that bit. That might be my favorite Python bit. (Shocking.)
I'd say it's the most fitting bit for Corvette Forum, but there's Deja Vu...
Old 08-06-2012, 04:58 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

You guys can have the "Boy's Dream" spot - it sucked. I want spots that show what a real Corvette is. GM has three - Count 'em THREE - Corvette spots running in rotation right now.

First there's the ZR-1 spot - We Build Rockets. I'd much rather see a ZR-1 doing a second gear burnout off a corner than a 10-year-old flying a car past a third grade girl.

Then there's the 60th birthday spot with the convertible blowing out the candles. Not a great spot but not bad.

And then the Jim Miro spot at the 'Ring.

THOSE are Corvette commercials.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:25 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
You guys can have the "Boy's Dream" spot - it sucked. I want spots that show what a real Corvette is. GM has three - Count 'em THREE - Corvette spots running in rotation right now.

First there's the ZR-1 spot - We Build Rockets. I'd much rather see a ZR-1 doing a second gear burnout off a corner than a 10-year-old flying a car past a third grade girl.

Then there's the 60th birthday spot with the convertible blowing out the candles. Not a great spot but not bad.

And then the Jim Miro spot at the 'Ring.

THOSE are Corvette commercials.
Gotta agree with you. Love the rockets commercial. We are actually in a golden age of Corvette commercials from a numbers perspective. There were a lot of years where there were none at all.

Quick Reply: GM Ousts Marketing Chief- how will C7 be impacted?